FiiO M15S Pocket Desktop-Level Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #586 of 926
I was wanting to purchase one of this DAP but reading this thread made me think there are some unresolved issue experienced by many with the DAP.
Has Fiio resolved it?

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #587 of 926
I was wanting to purchase one of this DAP but reading this thread made me think there are some unresolved issue experienced by many with the DAP.
Has Fiio resolved it?
What issue are you referring to? I personally have no issues with this DAP.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #588 of 926
What issue are you referring to? I personally have no issues with this DAP.
Im not sure a lot of complaints here and there. Like the delay with the youtube and PC connection etc. Sound like a lot of people are not satisfied about the system. I believe the sound is great tho a lot of good opinion about the sound.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #589 of 926
Im not sure a lot of complaints here and there. Like the delay with the youtube and PC connection etc. Sound like a lot of people are not satisfied about the system. I believe the sound is great tho a lot of good opinion about the sound.
Dear friend,

We failed to reproduce the Youtube or PC delay issue. But if you get delay when using the M15S as USB DAC, you may try to adjust the output sampling rate in the computer to check again. And you could also have a try of the M15S in the local stores first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 4, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #590 of 926
I tried the Sundaras and Aryas with the m15s and it didnt do a job. Its a very similar situation as with the Shanlig M8, M9, Kann Max and IBasso dx320.
Daps just cant properly drive an open back planars. All the reviewers who "test" these more powerful daps with open planars and say they play on a similar level as their desktop amps, either lie or they are deaf.
Different story when it comes to the iems. Most of a better daps play on at least on a similar or higher level with iems than desktop equipment.
I find the M15s to be a perfect pairing for the iems, even on high gain. It doesnt power the Sundaras as well as the 170e IFI Zen Dac v2. Ive had a very similar situation when tried to power the Sundaras and Aryas with the Kann Max, dx320, M8 and M9. No chance, just focus on iems and you will avoid disappointments.
DAPS ARE FOR IEMS, end of story.
I have the exact same experience, for desktop I use now a Burson soloist 3xgt, and with my 1000 and arya it was a night and day difference, I won't say planars sound awfull on the better daps or portable dacs, but the moment you stick them in a decent powerfull desktop amp, then you get it why planar's are so populair.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #591 of 926
DAPS are not just for IEMS....it depends on your setup.
If I use the headphone outs then yes, DAPS are just not powerful enough to drive most planers or higher ohm headphones.
But if you use the usb-c out to a headphone amp, then the sky is the limit, using your DAP for your tunes but powering through a SS or tube amp is spectacular.
I like the flexibility of both, depending on my needs.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #592 of 926
DAPS are not just for IEMS....it depends on your setup.
If I use the headphone outs then yes, DAPS are just not powerful enough to drive most planers or higher ohm headphones.
But if you use the usb-c out to a headphone amp, then the sky is the limit, using your DAP for your tunes but powering through a SS or tube amp is spectacular.
I like the flexibility of both, depending on my needs.
That changes things ofcourse

Oct 7, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #594 of 926
Good morning...
Sharing....
I acquired the M15s in the last few days, I found it strange in the first few hours, it seemed very neutral and detailed.
A few hours later the musicality and bass began to appear....

In some review I read a tip about great synergy with Euclid, so I tested it.... I used it initially with the FD7 cable, as I've been using Euclid with this cable for a long time, where I noticed better detailing and transparency... It was good on the M15s , but nothing exceptional, it was missing some fun.... So I paired it with a cheap, mixed cable from the Hakugei brand. Simply sensational, lots of performance and dynamics, musicality and detail that leaves me speechless....
Good grief...

FD7 was also very good, I haven't tested it with that cable yet.

I couldn't feel good with the mk2 or the ie900.

Ícone Verificada pela comunidade

Feedback

Oct 8, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #596 of 926
Does the m15s sound better than a mojo2 or ifi gryphon xdsd, and I mean that mainly for IEM or light planars the new Arya
It's slightly better than the Gryphon and the mojo 2. Gryphon is really good too but not as refined and detailed. But if you like a typical fun signature, the Gryphon gives you both the xbass and the xspace to color things a bit.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #597 of 926
It's slightly better than the Gryphon and the mojo 2. Gryphon is really good too but not as refined and detailed. But if you like a typical fun signature, the Gryphon gives you both the xbass and the xspace to color things a bit.
Thanks, than it is worth it to check it out.

I was looking for an all in one, because I got annoyed lately constantly carying extra devices, but mainly having to use a cable between them and a samsung s22 with usb player pro. And than also carrying my normal phone.

I use a iphone for my phone use, it is great but for audio sucks, AAC, no card reader etc… only when you use streaming services it is okay, but not when you want to use local files on the go.

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #598 of 926
More impressions about m15s:

Visceral musical, impactful in electronic music.

Delicious acoustics, strings and vocals...

The sound is more detailed and impactful than I'm used to....

Some headphones are excellent, others are a little aggressive, lacking a bit of smoothness.

For the first time I can cut some difference in the filters, I enabled DSD ALL and also the level 02 option to soften the edges....

I come from a Sony Z1 and a Kann Max and for my ears this Dap is a level above, in transparency, purity, details...
Opinion
Feedback

Ícone Verificada pela comunidade

Feedback

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #599 of 926
A few thoughts on the M15S vs DX240...

I've had the DX240 for about 18 months, and upgraded to the AMP8MK2s back in the spring. I pair it with Sennheiser ie900 iems. The DX240 with this amp/iem combination is a marvellous thing: warm, detailed, organic and true across the range; and all in a very small package. I've really enjoyed it. I've always had the feeling, though, that it was lacking a bit of umph. So last week I bought the M15s to compare.

Firstly, they are amazingly similar in terms of tuning, tone, timbre, detail, etc. It takes quite a careful A/B to tell them apart, which considering the size difference is surprising (the M15S is half as big again). The differences, to my ears, are as follows:

Bass - M15S has a touch more sub-bass and tighter bass overall - it does have more umph.
Mids - The M15S has fuller and slightly sweeter mids - the dx240 can be just a little sharp with voices sometimes and can, quite rarely, sound a tad congested.
Highs - The dx240 shows slightly more technical detail, but that sometimes presents as a touch too bright. The M15S is more balanced and the highs are gorgeous.
User experience - The dx240 is nicer to use. I think the RAM is managed better on the ibasso too as it its quicker to load things like album art and scrolls more smoothly. The buttons on the dx240 are also easier to find and more intuitive. The screen on the M15S is bigger and clearer. Battery life is edged by the M15S - but it is a lot newer, so that's not a fair comparison. The M15S is a lot bigger and heavier, so nothing like as pocket-portable as the DX240. The DX240's Mango player is fine, and so is the Fiio player on the MS15. I probably slightly prefer the simpler Mango UI.
Extras: The M15S has a couple of important extra features: 1) all to DSD - this does add to the DAP's analogue signature, and I use it often; 2) the M15S also has desktop mode, which provides more power and bypasses the battery, adding to its day to day life as well and its long term viability.

As with the extra amp these DX240 and the M15S two are about the same price, I think it is fair to compare them. Is the the M15S an upgrade? Yes in terms of SQ, but no in terms of user experience. It's not night and day either way.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #600 of 926
Does FIIO M15s have a click or pop for a split second at the start of each song in Tidal, especially when there are different samples of subsequent songs?
Have any of you connected M15s to an external amplifier, e.g. A&K PA10 class-A via balanced port 4.4 mm ?
What about the delayed sound when the M15s is connected via USB to the laptop - the image and sound are not synchronized, the last firmware update improved it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back