FiiO M15-Dual AK4499EQ flagship DACs,XMOS XUF208 USB chip,Qualcomm CSR8675 Bluetooth chip,Exynos 7872 processor,15 hours battery life,1800 hours standby time
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #46 of 76
@FiiO I also noticed another issue. I am burning in the dap and just leaving it to play songs in alphabetical order (with headphones plugged in on normal listening volume and plugged into power) in the fiio music app. The fiio music app consistently crashes approximately at the 36 hour mark. Doesn’t matter whether in pure music or android mode. I typically like to burn a dap for several hundred hours. Each time it crashes I turn off the dap then restart and will happen again in another 36 hours. I also started at different section of song list.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #47 of 76
I recently got the M15 and impressed by much of what it has to offer. However, I was disappointed to learn that DSD512 was restricted to USB DAC playback. It seems like such a waste of the DAC chips and femto clocks to not allow native decoding of local files.

Is there a possibility for this be offered in the future through a firmware update?
No, Please tell me this isn’t so!!
I was using the FiiO X7 Mark Ⅱ, which I thought was pretty good, never had an issue with it.
I purchase the FiiO M15 as an upgrade with a Sandisk 1TB microSD with the understanding that it played DSD512.
I then purchased the following "nativedsd.com 5 TRACKS IN DSD 512 (2019)" thinking I was going to be able to enjoy this and got the message “File Not Found”, I thought there was a problem with the files and came here and found this thread, that is pretty disappointing and I also hope this is not going to stay this way, that is a true wast, it’s a good thing I didn’t buy more DSD512 music.
Now I have these really huge files (6GB) on my M15 and I can’t even play them.

FiiO, You have created such an Advanced Device, Why Cripple it like this??

Please make this available.

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #48 of 76
I was using the FiiO X7 Mark Ⅱ, which I thought was pretty good, never had an issue with it.
I purchase the FiiO M15 as an upgrade with a Sandisk 1TB microSD with the understanding that it played DSD512.
I then purchased the following "nativedsd.com 5 TRACKS IN DSD 512 (2019)" thinking I was going to be able to enjoy this and got the message “File Not Found”, I thought there was a problem with the files and came here and found this thread, that is pretty disappointing and I also hope this is not going to stay this way, that is a true wast, it’s a good thing I didn’t buy more DSD512 music.

Why do you think you need DSD512?

Mar 20, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #50 of 76
Just to clarify, are you asking why he needs DSD512 over say DSD256, or just DSD in general. I'm assuming you mean the former right?

Yes, DSD512. I mean, it might be good and you know that I like and am a firm believer of it but I really would suggest to compare the DSD256 and DSD512 via USB first, as for me it was not as obvious as on DX220.

Actually M15 has other interesting findings I have written and was surprised about in the other unofficial forum, that UAPP reports DSD64 as direct DSD but DSD256 as 352 kHz PCM.

Some DSD256 converted files have a massively audible difference to the original FLAC files. I uploaded all clips (FLAC, DSD256, DSD512) and sent a link. Would be great if you can say what you think, maybe also on DX220.

Also some other things. I am really wondering what's happening there. All in my recent posts in the unofficial M15 forum.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #51 of 76

Hello,

1584783068790.png

The DSD512 works only in USB DAC mode. Local playback supports up to DSD256.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 21, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #52 of 76
Hello,

The DSD512 works only in USB DAC mode. Local playback supports up to DSD256.

Best regards
Hi,
Thanks for the response, is there a technical limitation or is this something you can add via a software update?

I wish I would have known that bit of information before purchasing the M15, if I hadn’t assumed (which is on me of course!!) it was going to just play DSD512, I would have just stayed with my FiiO X7 Mark Ⅱ.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #54 of 76
DAPs with DSD512 playback (that I know of)

iBasso DX200
iBasso DX220
Colorfly U8
YinLvMei A2
Lotoo Paw Gold Touch
Astell & Kern SP2000
Albums I would listen to sold in dsd512 zero.

Mar 21, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #55 of 76
Hi,
Thanks for the response, is there a technical limitation or is this something you can add via a software update?
I wish I would have known that bit of information before purchasing the M15, if I hadn’t assumed (which is on me of course!!) it was going to just play DSD512, I would have just stayed with my FiiO X7 Mark Ⅱ.

When I had the M15, I was able to play local DSD512 files on Neutron. I assume UAPP would also play them fine.

DSD512 does a make difference, even over DSD256, but you really do need a highly resolving system to appreciate the gain.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #57 of 76
Haha me too, even if they were I'd have to use a DAP that would allow EQ so it would end up been PCM anyway :D

I do offline conversion to DSD128 because I would like to use the FiiO player but it alters the PCM stream, which is pretty surprising. There is quite a substantial difference between the PCM playback and its DSD converted version. With UAPP, the difference is not there but I prefer the FiiO application as I use the FiiO link sometimes.

I wish FiiO would investigate the reason of this difference.

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #58 of 76
I do offline conversion to DSD128 because I would like to use the FiiO player but it alters the PCM stream, which is pretty surprising. There is quite a substantial difference between the PCM playback and its DSD converted version. With UAPP, the difference is not there but I prefer the FiiO application as I use the FiiO link sometimes.

I wish FiiO would investigate the reason of this difference.

OK. I did a factory reset and it is back to normal: It sounds the same as the UAPP. I don't know what the problem was but maybe the equalizer was stuck and couldn't be disengaged? I am sure the EQ was off.

Anyway, I am happy that this is solved now.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #59 of 76
I recently got the M15 and impressed by much of what it has to offer. However, I was disappointed to learn that DSD512 was restricted to USB DAC playback. It seems like such a waste of the DAC chips and femto clocks to not allow native decoding of local files.

Is there a possibility for this be offered in the future through a firmware update?
I am also a bit disappointed that this powerful player has that limitation, I posted to the official Fiio Forum and it looks like there will be no update to this issue, this is the reponse:

Hi,

The SoC could support up to 384k 32bit so local playback for DSD 512 which require the Soc to support up to 705.6k 32bit could not be supported.

Best regards

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #60 of 76
I am also a bit disappointed that this powerful player has that limitation, I posted to the official Fiio Forum and it looks like there will be no update to this issue, this is the reponse:

Hi,

The SoC could support up to 384k 32bit so local playback for DSD 512 which require the Soc to support up to 705.6k 32bit could not be supported.

Best regards

Firstly, if the reason for having DSD512 is to because you want to have a rate more than the DAC internal oversampling rate, here you already have it with DSD256, because AK4499EQ does 128X oversampling rather than 256X:

https://www.akm.com/content/dam/doc...dio-dac/ak4499eq/ak4499eq-en-productbrief.pdf

Second, if they would use an older and slower SoC like many others did (A&K with SP2000 still uses the same SoC they used in SP1000) to support the DSD512, then you would probably be disappointed that they used an older SoC. And for what are you dissapointed? That you cannot use DSD512? And did you for once with M15 try the DSD512 through the USB and then play DSD256 on the player, hear any minuscule of a difference and then got dissapointed? Or just dissapointed of some numbers on the paper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back