FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 3, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #856 of 4,083
Just to give you another perspective, I compare m15 to dx228 extensively this weekend and thought the ibasso was clearly the better performer. Go figure... Just clearly more detailed and higher resolution sound, punchier/better dynamics.
Yeah there are no facts when it comes to sound , just opinions. Which music tracks did you use to come to your opinion ?

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #857 of 4,083
Yeah there are no facts when it comes to sound , just opinions. Which music tracks did you use to come to your opinion ?
Phew...probably a good 30+ different tunes. Spent a good 90 minutes going through my usual tracks, volume matched.

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #858 of 4,083
Phew...probably a good 30+ different tunes. Spent a good 90 minutes going through my usual tracks, volume matched.
Which iem/headphone was used ? Just trying to get an idea on the music you used.

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #859 of 4,083
Which iem/headphone was used ? Just trying to get an idea on the music you used.

IEM: qdc Gemini.
Music: everything from pop, rock, metal, counter tenor, house, drum&bass. My taste is very broad and I use a wide set of tracks to test gear.

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #860 of 4,083
Again all down to opinions, I find the M15 a clear step up from the DX220/8.

Feb 3, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #861 of 4,083
IEM: qdc Gemini.
Music: everything from pop, rock, metal, counter tenor, house, drum&bass. My taste is very broad and I use a wide set of tracks to test gear.

I had DX220 with AMP4, AMP9 and AMP1, but that was couple of months ago. From my memory, DX220 has a very neutral sound and the treble is a bit more pronounced, which makes it sound more detailed. It could be due to my HPs (especially Stellia), but I think M15 has a bit more mid-forward sound with a smoother treble. I imagine a smooth treble IEM could sound having less detail _compared to DX220_ due to a bit more pronounced mids and fuller sound. But I don't think M15 is lacking details.

I can't wait to try it with U12/18t on Friday. Especially what I would like to check is LO to SHA900 (0.35 ohms SE output, and should be a dead linear little amp), for the output impedance effects.

Feb 3, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #863 of 4,083
Neet little comparison. Can you do an interference test please.

Like wifi and bluetooth also if m15 picks noises from phone and how close can they be side by side before interferences starts.

You can set m15 on pause wile playing music and place the phone on top of it and then just enabling wifi and browsing web and same with wifi off it would trigger all the interferences if there's any....

There is no reception noise during WLAN reception, both in 2.4 and 5GHz (which was quite audible on 2.4GHz with DX220). For the mobile reception, it is only with 2G networks where I could hear the interference (which would probably happen with any audio device) - with 3G and 4G no noise. BT is also noiseless - I used it 2-3 hours with FiiO link and didn't hear anything.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #864 of 4,083
Can also confirm that I've had no interference noise when streaming using WiFi, I've had my phone right next to the M15 with no issues.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #868 of 4,083
That is the player itself, I am looking for a case for the player.
Can make one out of this -
air-bubble-wrap-roll.jpg

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #870 of 4,083
I’ve been comparing the 4.4 balanced and 3.5 single ended with Abyss Diana Phi and a Audio Sensibility statement silver cable and I can not tell the difference.
The balanced clearly has more power but I’m only at 40% high with the SE so there is still plenty of headroom.

Edit* I do however find that balanced is much better with the VE Sun especially with headphone mode on

For any of you with the M15 and Mojo/Poly--I'd really appreciate sonic comparisons. Thank you.
My mojo was moded by Fidelizer so I don’t know how different it really is... but comparing the m15 to mojo/poly using airplay tidal from my phone for both, 3.5 Abyss Diana Phi.

I found the M15 to have more bass and you can hear bass texture that you can’t hear on the Mojo/Poly.
It’s much easier to hear the difference between drums on the M15.
The Mojo/Poly has more separation between instruments.
The sound stage is similar but the M15 is more intimate I think it may be because of the bass and mids.
The Mojo/Poly definitely sounds like you are a bit further from the performers, maybe the difference of a outdoor performance and indoor... not a very good example but I keep thinking about it.

I really like bass and a more intimate sound so I prefer the M15 so far.
I preferred the Mojo/Poly over the DX200 Amp 9 and preferred amp 9 to any other.

I've been listening to
A Tribe Called Red- Self Titled album
Loreena McKennitt- “Journey So Far” album
Mythos- “Eros” album

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back