FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 6, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #916 of 4,083
You just used the magic word, Khan, which is one of the IEMs I might consider. How is the pairing?
Note: I am listening SE, not balanced, with the stock Noble cable. That said, I totally love Khans. I like the way they sound out of the M15 better than the way they sound directly out of my Hugo2. I usually listen to the Hugo2 into the Massdrop THX amp, but I literally just moved last week and don't have the THX set up yet to compare. If I had to guess, I'm going to say that the M15 is a tiny bit warmer than the Hugo2/Massdrop combo, and with the Khans that works perfectly as they (and the Hugo2) are both very analytical to my ears. YMMV.

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #917 of 4,083
I just got the M15 and started to put it through its paces. I loaded up an SD card with DSD512 files in Pure Music mode. It scanned and indexed the files but when I try to play, it says format not supported. These files play fine on other players. Is there something I'm missing?

As an alternative, I'm trying to download UAPP or Neutron. I can't find them in APK Pure. Cook APK seems to have them but the UI is in Chinese. Is there a way to switch the language to English?

Do I have to buy the apps all over again since there is no google play? Does UAPP or Neutron run in M15 in terms of licensing without google play? I

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #918 of 4,083
I just got the M15 and started to put it through its paces. I loaded up an SD card with DSD512 files in Pure Music mode. It scanned and indexed the files but when I try to play, it says format not supported. These files play fine on other players. Is there something I'm missing?

As an alternative, I'm trying to download UAPP or Neutron. I can't find them in APK Pure. Cook APK seems to have them but the UI is in Chinese. Is there a way to switch the language to English?

Do I have to buy the apps all over again since there is no google play? Does UAPP or Neutron run in M15 in terms of licensing without google play? I

Thanks!

I remember reading that DSD512 works only in DAC mode.....

Feb 6, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #919 of 4,083
I remember reading that DSD512 works only in DAC mode.....

That's really disappointing. Can someone confirm this? Is there no way to play DSD512 local files on the M15?

Also, can I verify that "All to DSD" only works with local files and is defeated in streaming apps like Tidal/Roon? Does "All to DSD" operate in both Android and Pure Music modes?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #920 of 4,083
That's really disappointing. Can someone confirm this? Is there no way to play DSD512 local files on the M15?

Also, can I verify that "All to DSD" only works with local files and is defeated in streaming apps like Tidal/Roon? Does "All to DSD" operate in both Android and Pure Music modes?

Yes, M15 can only supports up to DSD256 and the " ALL 2 DSD " only works when play back local files. and it can works in both Android and Pure music modes.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 6, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #922 of 4,083
Today I had more time with the M15 (like 3 hours) and the sound quality of this player is madness. The way drums sound like is unlike anything I've heard to date. I'm addicted. Then there's that soundstage depth where all those layers have a lot of air between them, it's incredible. The marriage with the LCD-i4 is perfect. Plenty of bass and total soundstage/imaging/separation madness. Fidelity, purity, airiness, unlike any other combination I've tried so far. And the DAP has a certain signature that I love. That wheight in the sub-bass region, plenty of mid-bass, a tiny bit warm mids and that treble... Fantastic.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #923 of 4,083
Today I had more time with the M15 (like 3 hours) and the sound quality of this player is madness. The way drums sound is unlike anything I've heard to date. I'm addicted. Then there's that soundstage depth where all those layers have a lot of air between them, it's incredible. The marriage with the LCD-i4 is perfect. Plenty of bass and total soundstage/imaging/separation madness. Fidelity, purity, airiness, unlike any other combination I've tried so far.
"Addicted" until you quickly become tolerate , then youll need more.

Feb 6, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #926 of 4,083
Today I had more time with the M15 (like 3 hours) and the sound quality of this player is madness. The way drums sound like is unlike anything I've heard to date. I'm addicted. Then there's that soundstage depth where all those layers have a lot of air between them, it's incredible. The marriage with the LCD-i4 is perfect. Plenty of bass and total soundstage/imaging/separation madness. Fidelity, purity, airiness, unlike any other combination I've tried so far. And the DAP has a certain signature that I love. That wheight in the sub-bass region, plenty of mid-bass, a tiny bit warm mids and that treble... Fantastic.

I just got the M15 and I've also paired it with the LCDi4s using the EA Horus.

What gain settings are you using high/low; over-ear headphone mode?

I started off engaging either high gain or over-ear headphone mode because the i4s like more power than regular IEMs. However, the sound was congested and I've gone down to low gain without over-ear headphone. This is not something I would normally do with a DAP, but the amount of power this thing has is ridiculous.

There's a lot to like here, but I'm still not sold.

I would really appreciate any tips on how to squeeze out the optimum sound: e.g., Pure Music, vs a third party player, filter, etc.

Feb 7, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #927 of 4,083
Still trying to work things out, not had a lot of play time, but I must say, things are not quite as Rosie with the FH7’s add I’d like, in some cases the Bass really is overpowering, flabby sometimes. 99% of what I listen too is higher bit rate FLAC, so quality should be pretty good. Also noticing more sibilance than before as well! Maybe it is my recordings?!? Anyway this with low gain out of the 3.5mm. EQ’ing makes big difference to the bass issue!!

Jim Bobber,

Your comment from last week stuck with me, and after further listening I had started to hear some deficiencies in the M15/FH7 pairing. After a lot of experimentation what worked for me was changing the filter setting to Super Slow Roll-Off, which to my ears pulled the bass into line. I'm also finding the Super Slow Roll-Off filter works well with the HD800 so it is now my filter setting of choice. Although it seems like a minor tweak, with extended listening I am amazed at how this one setting changes the character of the M15.

How are you doing now with the FH7? If you are using EQ, I would be curious to know what settings you landed on.

Feb 7, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #929 of 4,083
True, that's why we all are here. There is no end until we are completely bankrupted or dead IMO.
Or deaf and homeless.
crash-and-burn-money.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back