FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jan 14, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #3,436 of 4,083
I hear good things about the Denons, I’ve never tried them though, cascades and the Ultrasones are great too

I have the edition 15 veritas and like it with the M15, but Campfire cascade is really good with the M15. I like the edition 15 more with lotoo paw gold

The E15 looks super sexy. The cascade sounds interesting too. I really want to find a good closed back that can be driven efficiently with the M15. It's almost a waste just to use it on IEMs. I'm used to the Hifiman planar sound pretty much had all their stuff up to Susvara and Shang Jr. Which one you feel is closer to the Hifiman sound?

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #3,437 of 4,083
The E15 looks super sexy. The cascade sounds interesting too. I really want to find a good closed back that can be driven efficiently with the M15. It's almost a waste just to use it on IEMs. I'm used to the Hifiman planar sound pretty much had all their stuff up to Susvara and Shang Jr. Which one you feel is closer to the Hifiman sound?
If you have the budget Focal headphones match up well with the m15. They are fairly easy to drive and the m15 sound signature matches well with my Stellia. But I know it also matches well with the more reasonable priced Radiance which I may have purchased instead if it was out back when I bought my Stellia’s.
The cascade does not have the detail or low end control of the Hifi man’s I’ve heard. The cascade also has a W sound signature which is very different then HiFi man’s more Harmon curve sound signature which Focal comes close to following as well. If you’re a bass head you’ll probably like the cascade a lot but if your looking for the Harmon curve sound signature it’s definitely not like that.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,438 of 4,083
If you have the budget Focal headphones match up well with the m15. They are fairly easy to drive and the m15 sound signature matches well with my Stellia. But I know it also matches well with the more reasonable priced Radiance which I may have purchased instead if it was out back when I bought my Stellia’s.
The cascade does not have the detail or low end control of the Hifi man’s I’ve heard. The cascade also has a W sound signature which is very different then HiFi man’s more Harmon curve sound signature which Focal comes close to following as well. If you’re a bass head you’ll probably like the cascade a lot but if your looking for the Harmon curve sound signature it’s definitely not like that.
I know that Meze 99 🎧 are not on a level of Focals or Campfires, but how well it pairs with M15 that is amazing. Low gain and over ear mode, headphones sounds so much opened than before, holographic and details just come out of nowhere. Dynamics are also better and bass is not over powering and quite nible. They are connected with 2.5mm, and AK Kann (original) was going well with them, but M15 takes every drop out of them.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #3,439 of 4,083
The cascade is definitely a different tuning than the Hifiman it’s very W shaped and the E15 is very mid focused,. I honestly have never heard a Hifiman except the 400i(I think) so I’m not the one to ask, I think they are mostly Harmon curve right?
The Focals are very nice though, I liked the Stellia quite a bit. It’s more technical than the E15 but for me not as enjoyable.
I have a hard time recommending the E15, I find it super enjoyable very light and great to take out and about but I don’t feel it has the clarity or soundstage it should for its price. That said it needs more power than many other headphones and the M15 works very well.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #3,440 of 4,083

Utopia was my most disappointing headphone experience. Didn't fit, and I just didn't like the sound. I know it's love or hate with the Utopias, so I figured Stellia is out. I really wanted to like Utopia. I almost kept it cause how sexy it looks and thinks I'll start to like the sound next week.

The cascade is definitely a different tuning than the Hifiman it’s very W shaped and the E15 is very mid focused,. I honestly have never heard a Hifiman except the 400i(I think) so I’m not the one to ask, I think they are mostly Harmon curve right?
The Focals are very nice though, I liked the Stellia quite a bit. It’s more technical than the E15 but for me not as enjoyable.
I have a hard time recommending the E15, I find it super enjoyable very light and great to take out and about but I don’t feel it has the clarity or soundstage it should for its price. That said it needs more power than many other headphones and the M15 works very well.

The key thing with Hifiman and similarly Abyss is that they give you this thick, lush, organic sound. This is something hard to portray in words when we are trying to describe treble, mids, lows, etc. I'm actually looking to the the Diana V2. But it sounds like even the M15 won't drive it to satisfying levels.

I almost bought the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50. They are suppose to be super easy to drive. I'm just not sure what to expect with a brand new driver technology.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #3,441 of 4,083
Utopia was my most disappointing headphone experience. Didn't fit, and I just didn't like the sound. I know it's love or hate with the Utopias, so I figured Stellia is out. I really wanted to like Utopia. I almost kept it cause how sexy it looks and thinks I'll start to like the sound next week.

The key thing with Hifiman and similarly Abyss is that they give you this thick, lush, organic sound. This is something hard to portray in words when we are trying to describe treble, mids, lows, etc. I'm actually looking to the the Diana V2. But it sounds like even the M15 won't drive it to satisfying levels.

I almost bought the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50. They are suppose to be super easy to drive. I'm just not sure what to expect with a brand new driver technology.
Hmmm, the E15 has that lush organic sound, more so than the Diana Phi, I had the Diana V1 but that was probably 2 years ago so I can’t really compare.
I listen pretty quiet I think because I dont listen above 50 with the M15 and Diana.
I don’t think the Giallarhorn is supposed to be organic is it? Maybe wait for the Rognor to be released, I bet the M15 would power it well.

*edit* we may be using the description of lush and organic differently, I remember the 400i as pretty linear but with nice bass

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #3,442 of 4,083
Hmmm, the E15 has that lush organic sound, more so than the Diana Phi, I had the Diana V1 but that was probably 2 years ago so I can’t really compare.
I listen pretty quiet I think because I dont listen above 50 with the M15 and Diana.
I don’t think the Giallarhorn is supposed to be organic is it? Maybe wait for the Rognor to be released, I bet the M15 would power it well.

*edit* we may be using the description of lush and organic differently, I remember the 400i as pretty linear but with nice bass

I may have to just order a pair of Dianas to try. I have been wanted to for a while.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #3,444 of 4,083
I may have to just order a pair of Dianas to try. I have been wanted to for a while.
You should audition the Diana V2 before buying, I loved the Phi but the Diana definitely recessed the mids a bit too much for my taste. My favorite headphones I currently own are the Verite closed and LCD 4. I also really like the Rad 0 when I heard it, definitely my next headphone purchase. The Diana has a slight V shaped sound with bass and treble extension. Bass is deep, well handled, detailed and fast just over shadows the mids much more then any other Abyss headphone I’ve heard. High come back with a nice detailed sparkle never feeling harsh to me but the mids were a deal breaker at that price point. And if your talking about textured mids like an LCD 4 or Rad 0 or even the Verite the Diana V2 lacked there to my ears. The Phi was definitely much better in that aspect but a little less bass impact. I’m surprised the Diana V2 was powered well by the m15, I tried it with at the time my A&K 380 with the clip on amp which technically has a little more power then the m15 and it sounded a little lifeless, with poor dynamics on that compared to the Eleven Audio amp they had it set up with. Sure it had plenty of volume but didn’t power them to worthwhile level. To me the Diana V2 and Meze Empyrean were both a disappointment due to their mids, to me they have a closer sound signature then the HiFi man headphones I’ve heard or owned, hs1000, hs1000v2, Shangri-la jr with its amp, hs1000se.
Focal headphones are polarizing, they are a little clinical unless you run them with a tube amp, then they come to life.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #3,445 of 4,083
I knew I remembered seeing it’s distortion and sensitivity charts somewhere, just so you have reference with mids and it’s power needs. Charts are from audio science reviews:
7947D871-1FB3-424A-8C1C-128CD976ACE2.jpeg
986A430C-9A0C-4B5A-8785-227BED1975DE.jpeg

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #3,446 of 4,083
I updated my M15 a couple of days ago. I now can't seem to have it display a list of the albums I ripped to the microSD card I mounted in the M15. I assume I'm doing something wrong. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #3,448 of 4,083
I updated my M15 a couple of days ago. I now can't seem to have it display a list of the albums I ripped to the microSD card I mounted in the M15. I assume I'm doing something wrong. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Dear friend,

Can you read this album via file browser of the FiiO Music app instead?

If you mean you could not read the album from album category, you could update the media library from 'scan for music' option in the setting menu of FiiO Music app and check again.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #3,449 of 4,083
Hello @FiiO Is it possible to make balanced output LO 4.4 or LO 2.5 in software update? This is needed to connect to an amplifier. This is for better signal transmission to the amplifier. LO 3.5 in RCA doesn't sound very good. The Hiby R8 has it, too bad the M15 doesn't support it.
Dear friend,

No, the LO 4.4 or 2.5 balanced output could not be supported via firmware update in M15 because its hardware design does not support that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 27, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #3,450 of 4,083
The Campfire Cascades is an exceptional pairing with the M15. You can drive it to very satisfying level. It has good treble, mids and bass. It's a little bass heavy for my taste even with maximum dampening, but doesn't creep into the mids with fast Berrylium drivers. It's what I wish the Utopia should sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back