FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
May 26, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #2,326 of 4,083
Which albums would you play if the M15 could ?

Albums such as this but I would probably just want this done via USB- just curious how it would sound on the device, native.
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/LWC1189-schumann-piano-quintet-op-44-and-piano-quartet-op-47

You can easily try it by:

- Connect your M15 to your computer as a USB DAC
- Either download the https://samplerateconverter.com/ and convert a very well recorded album to DSD512, and play it using foobar2000 (I haven't tried using the foobar2000 but played through HQPlayer). EDIT: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00075146
- Or download the HQPlayer (https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html) and use real-time DSD512 conversion
- In both cases play through M15 and check if you hear any difference.
- If you like, repeat it with DSD256 which should not be any different from DSD512

You can also try hard to find a DSD512 album and its DSD256 version and maybe also its FLAC version - and compare them all by playing on your computer with M15 in USB DAC mode.

My conclusion was, DSD512 is simply not needed on M15.

I was just curious on how it would sound, I would consider using it as a USB DAC- it just crossed my mind if I wanted this in my living room instead of having to set this up at my desktop and move files around etc.

I was actually going through this exact setup as I found out that it wouldn't read the 512 native! haha thank you!

May 26, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,327 of 4,083
Albums such as this but I would probably just want this done via USB- just curious how it would sound on the device, native.
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/LWC1189-schumann-piano-quintet-op-44-and-piano-quartet-op-47

I was just curious on how it would sound, I would consider using it as a USB DAC- it just crossed my mind if I wanted this in my living room instead of having to set this up at my desktop and move files around etc.

I was actually going through this exact setup as I found out that it wouldn't read the 512 native! haha thank you!
FB_IMG_1590491419728.jpg

May 26, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #2,328 of 4,083
Yes, M15 has two femto clocks, but they're for the AK4499 DAC chips, while the XMOS uses another cheap clock that's not femto. I believe most USB DACs are in async mode on the market, according the hypes of W4S Recovery re-clocker, it would add benefit to all USB DACs.

Again, I'm not questioning you hearing improvements, but you continue to make technically false comments. Jitter effect only happens during the digital to analog conversion (or A to D). XMOS is purely a digital to digital converter so zero impact of jitter. Only the DAC chips inside the M15 convert digital to analog so jitter effect creates distortions. The femto clocks inside the M15 are the only clock source the DAC chips use so external reclocking of the USB port does nothing. XMOS is a pioneer in "true" asynchronous audio USB. Read this full article:

https://headfonics.com/what-is-jitter-in-audio

And the statement in the conclusion:

"As rule, if DAC’s internal or external dedicated clock generator is used for synchronization, jitter suppressing before a DAC’s digital input is not sensible. "

In this context, only the internal femto clocks inside the M15 are used since M15 does not have an option for an external clock generator.

As to why you are hearing better sound, it's plausible it has more to do with clean power. Once the M15 firmware fixes the no charging option you can compare the W4S while charging is enabled versus straight USB connection with charging disabled. If they sound the same, then your improvements you are hearing are related to power and not jitter.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #2,329 of 4,083
Got the new Cowhide FiiO Case and the HB4 Black carrying case, rush delivery from AliExpress.
Now I gotta wait for the dock to come in!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,331 of 4,083
May 27, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #2,332 of 4,083
Fiio should have really put a case in with the M15. I've tried to go without, but its getting increasingly uncomfortable to hold in my hand. It's more than just warm. It's a tingly sensation in my hands. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

May 27, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #2,334 of 4,083
May 27, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,335 of 4,083
Got the new Cowhide FiiO Case and the HB4 Black carrying case, rush delivery from AliExpress.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
I can't decide if I want to get this case of the DD hifi case. I like the look of both of them. But I don't want to buy both of them. It seems this FiiO case is no longer available on Aliexpress.

May 27, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2,336 of 4,083
Another interesting insight into development process of DAPs.

"Most of the screens used by Chinese players come from the inventory screen. For example, FiiO's early X5 used screens which were inventory of BlackBerry phones (later many Chinese players also used the same models). Note that the inventory screen here does not mean a defective screen. Like screens of BlackBerry, it was because they have overdone their production plan, and thus caused an unsalable result. So BlackBerry finally failed to purchase screens from Sharp as they originally planned. And these screens were left in the stock which were called inventory screens."

https://www.facebook.com/chung.james.92/posts/2992394467535269

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,337 of 4,083

Can you comment on how well IEMs fit in the compartment? I had the Miter version that is a similar concept, but I found the IEM compartment too cramped for big IEMs (e.g. EE LX and Sony Z1R).

May 27, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,338 of 4,083
I can't decide if I want to get this case of the DD hifi case. I like the look of both of them. But I don't want to buy both of them. It seems this FiiO case is no longer available on Aliexpress.

Try giving them a PM on AliExpress.

Can you comment on how well IEMs fit in the compartment? I had the Miter version that is a similar concept, but I found the IEM compartment too cramped for big IEMs (e.g. EE LX and Sony Z1R).

1590604596468.png

I have ear hooks on them so they take a bit more space. Plus I don't like tightening my cable so I took out the divider and tucked it away for later. It would fit the IEM if I disconnected and wrapped a cord very tight if I disassemble them but I swap between my cans and IEM very frequently in a day so I have them like that.

Overall very spacious, if you were meticulous enough, you'd be able to fit probably 3 sets of IEM in there with enough spacing between them. Granted they're disassembled.

May 27, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,339 of 4,083
When I go balanced cable direct to amp RCA (the amp has no volume control or balance) about 10 sec after the track if nothing is playing I get huge hum (90dBA feedback) even with volume off. I expect this is balanced cable related. When I run off my other DAC RCA to RCA - I do not.

Ideas?

May 27, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,340 of 4,083
When I go balanced cable direct to amp RCA (the amp has no volume control or balance) about 10 sec after the track if nothing is playing I get huge hum (90dBA feedback) even with volume off. I expect this is balanced cable related. When I run off my other DAC RCA to RCA - I do not.

Ideas?
Are you using the 4.4 or the 2.5? Also why not try the 3.5 as it actually is line out functionality, the balances outputs do not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back