FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
May 28, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #2,342 of 4,083
Part X Nokia's Same Display Screen: Unexpected Twists and Turns

It is very sad that HiFi players field can hardly be called an industry. Even for all HiFi player manufacturers over the world (including SONY, AK, etc.), the annual output combined is estimated to be less than one tenth of that of any other mobile phone. Therefore, there is no bargaining power in the supply chain.
In this case, we have to think of other methods. Most of the screens used by Chinese players come from the inventory screen. For example, FiiO's early X5 used screens which were inventory of BlackBerry phones (later many Chinese players also used the same models). Note that the inventory screen here does not mean a defective screen. Like screens of BlackBerry, it was because they have overdone their production plan, and thus caused an unsalable result. So BlackBerry finally failed to purchase screens from Sharp as they originally planned. And these screens were left in the stock which were called inventory screens.
However, the inventory screen still has many shortcomings.
A) The supply is unstable. For example, the sales king of FiiO X1 early used the inventory screen of NEC in Japan. However, it turned out these screens were bought out by a mobile phone brand, so we had to temporarily change suppliers, make samples, verify, and change ports.
B) A comprehensive check-in is required before putting these inventory screens in the storage. Normally, all purchased raw materials are tested merely by samples. However, manufacturers will not provide same quality commitments for inventory products as the new screen. So in order to avoid risks, we generally have to make a 100% manual selection. This costs a lot of time and labor resources.
C) The specifications and technology are relatively behind, and the main glass and modules of inventory screens are generally eliminated in the mobile phone industry. Why would they be eliminated? It is actually because the performance and specifications are not good enough.
Therefore, when we started the M11 plan, we tried to use newer technology which took us a lot of time for selection in order to reduce the above risks. Since the resolution of the EXY7872 is limited to a maximum of 720P, there are not many screens available. Taking into account the development of mobile phone screens (full screens have become popular), we have selected from thousands of brands. Finally a Nokia 720P display screen with a ratio of 18: 9 (NOKIA 3 2018 model) came to us.
This screen module is indeed not of particularly high quality, but like the processor 7872, it finally caught up with the tail of the mobile phone industry at processor and display screen in this era. And it is kind of better among Chinese players. The most important thing was that this screen module was mass produced, so there would be no supply issues.
However, we had never expected that this phone model of Nokia had such a bad saleroom, and it soon ceased production. It also directly led to a discontinuation of production of this screen. Eventually, we decided to estimate the total sales and spent a lot of money to prepare a lot of screens at one time.
Therefore, for the Chinese player industry, the display screen is a big problem. Every brand wants to do a good job which will help a lot. But external resources do not support our dreams at all.
Moreover, the trouble is that now the size of mobile phones is getting bigger and bigger, and it has become a special-shaped screen (bangs, water drops, holes). It seems that we have to continue to dig golds in the inventory screen base.
From the current situation, I am afraid that FiiO's mid-to-high-end players will be with larger display screens in the future. The joint reaction may be that the size of the player will also become larger and larger. This might be a kind tips beforehand.
100090051_2992391864202196_199344425938190336_o.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 29, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #2,343 of 4,083
The 4.4 (I do not have 2.5 balanced - any different?) and not the 3.5 - because I didn't read the directions.
I have 3.5. I'll try that.
I was hoping you were using 2.5mm. Not having the dedicated ground can cause problems with desktop gear, so your 4.4 could be wired incorrect causing your hum.
Did you have any like with the 3.5?82A436B3-94D5-4F2B-9A34-25A99B7FE73E.jpeg

May 29, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,344 of 4,083
I was hoping you were using 2.5mm. Not having the dedicated ground can cause problems with desktop gear, so your 4.4 could be wired incorrect causing your hum.
Did you have any like with the 3.5?82A436B3-94D5-4F2B-9A34-25A99B7FE73E.jpeg
The problem is gone with the 3.5. The system is not as loud. I am using the M15 as a pre-amp.
I thought the balance was supposed to sound better and have more voltage. I assume the 3.5 is wired like the picture as it has neutral ground.

May 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #2,345 of 4,083
The problem is gone with the 3.5. The system is not as loud. I am using the M15 as a pre-amp.
I thought the balance was supposed to sound better and have more voltage. I assume the 3.5 is wired like the picture as it has neutral ground.

The line out on the M15 is 2.1v which is standard for single ended pre. The balanced can put more voltage out but that isn’t always better for your amp, unless it’s a balanced amp you can get clipping with too much voltage.

May 29, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,346 of 4,083
is UAPP better than Fiio native app ?
I heard many people talk about UAPP , but I am not sure it can do anything better than Fiio native player.
What do you guy recommend ?

May 29, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #2,347 of 4,083
Moreover, the trouble is that now the size of mobile phones is getting bigger and bigger, and it has become a special-shaped screen (bangs, water drops, holes). It seems that we have to continue to dig golds in the inventory screen base.
From the current situation, I am afraid that FiiO's mid-to-high-end players will be with larger display screens in the future. The joint reaction may be that the size of the player will also become larger and larger. This might be a kind tips beforehand.
I like big screen, not a problem to me.

May 29, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,350 of 4,083
is UAPP better than Fiio native app ?
I heard many people talk about UAPP , but I am not sure it can do anything better than Fiio native player.
What do you guy recommend ?
Is UAPP - USB Audio?
Then no.
I think the native Fiio Pure Music app is great.

I also use Audirvana on Windows 10 and then Fiio M15 as a DAC. I had 4 reviews as we blind tested between the M15 in DAC mode and Chord Qutest. The response was mixed. I personally love Audirvana and I like the local PC control.

May 29, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #2,351 of 4,083
UAPP has PEQ and Fiio app does not.
Fiio support full MQA unfolding and support for other players like UAPP is TBD since it's firmware level code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back