FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
May 22, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,296 of 4,083
Just got new Fiio case. Its much better than i expected.

This looks SO HYPE! I am getting mine later next week with my HB4 Case

Edit:
@Kanelus is the tempered glass screen protector like the one you get with the M15 or is this a larger screen coverage?

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #2,298 of 4,083
Cool!! Havent tried it yet but looks bigger. Will test it tomorrow 👍🏻

Do you have the DK1 Dock? Does it fit with it on?
How’s the heat dissipation with the case on?

May 22, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #2,302 of 4,083
Just got my M15! Can I use an iem cable without the iems for burn in? Similar to ibasso's burn in cable
I don't believe that will work. ibasso burn in cable has a resistor in it to simulate a load. A cable with no IEM I don't think is going to put any load on the unit like IEMs or the burn in cable would.

May 22, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #2,303 of 4,083
Just play music out of it connected to your headphone or earphone. It is what I do. Works every time. Plus you can listen in on a familiar track and hear any changes as the player burns in. Will make you a believer of hardware burn in. No high volumes needed.

Try n use one of the balanced outs for the burn in. Will tax all the hardware moreso.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #2,304 of 4,083
While I don't question that you hear better sound, the technical fact is that M15 has two NDK femto clocks for the onboard DAC. There is no way the internal clocks can be bypassed. Power on the other hand is a completely different matter so perhaps that's where your external re-clocker is providing a benefit.
Yes, M15 has two femto clocks, but they're for the AK4499 DAC chips, while the XMOS uses another cheap clock that's not femto. I believe most USB DACs are in async mode on the market, according the hypes of W4S Recovery re-clocker, it would add benefit to all USB DACs.

May 23, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #2,305 of 4,083
M15 initial Impression vs Ibasso DX220/amp8 from a simpleton... WOW I can actually scroll in tidal/spotify without any lag and miss clicks, much more responsive like going from a 2008 to 2015 phone which is important to me because I mainly stream music. The screen is great, better than DX220 in 720p (did this for battery life). Battery life went from 6ish hours with the dx220 to 10ish hours (balanced) on the first charge. I love that there are all three options of connections and that they are on top. Based on these factors alone I would have been happy with the purchase if the sound was equal to DX228. Before listening I instantly Upgraded the software to 1.02 because I read about the major changes. Cons so far: basically the things mentioned a lot, buttons and volume knob are much better on the DX220. They can both get really hot the better the format of music, both about the same in that regard. Finally, 100 people have said this but seriously why the **** is there an unusable wooden box instead of a basic case, I don't get it..
I ordered this case.

First listening Impressions: Ok I should let it burn in for at least 10 hours and listen to it again.

8.5 hours later: Damn.. after only 8 hours of burn in she sounds incredible, I closed my eyes and smiled. I had this same reaction going from DX220 to DX228 but this time its different, M15 pairs with my QDC Anole VX (neutral sounding detail monster) soo much better, much more musical with the same if not better detail as DX228. Initially I was going to mod my DX220 and amp8 for $500 but I decided to go this route instead and I am so glad I did. I prefer to get lost in the music (Harbeth speakers) rather than be amazed by and focus on the technical details which is what the modded DX228 seemed would give me more of (the latter), M15 does both in my opinion. I imagine that the amp9 would be more my taste with the tubes but there was so much hiss with my IEMs that it was unusable and I had to return it and switch to amp8. In terms of hiss, they are almost silent but not 100%, I'd say the DX228 has very slightly less hiss.

I can't wait to keep listening to how the sound changes in the next 50-100 hours of burn in. So far Fiio hasn't let me down with the incredible $120 BTR5 and M15.

Side note: I'm listening on low gain and overear mode off, is there any advantage of changing either with iems? lmk if you have any other tips for me.

I hope this helps anyone on the fence!

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #2,306 of 4,083
M15 initial Impression vs Ibasso DX220/amp8 from a simpleton... WOW I can actually scroll in tidal/spotify without any lag and miss clicks, much more responsive like going from a 2008 to 2015 phone which is important to me because I mainly stream music. The screen is great, better than DX220 in 720p (did this for battery life). Battery life went from 6ish hours with the dx220 to 10ish hours (balanced) on the first charge. I love that there are all three options of connections and that they are on top. Based on these factors alone I would have been happy with the purchase if the sound was equal to DX228. Before listening I instantly Upgraded the software to 1.02 because I read about the major changes. Cons so far: basically the things mentioned a lot, buttons and volume knob are much better on the DX220. They can both get really hot the better the format of music, both about the same in that regard. Finally, 100 people have said this but seriously why the **** is there an unusable wooden box instead of a basic case, I don't get it..
I ordered this case.

First listening Impressions: Ok I should let it burn in for at least 10 hours and listen to it again.

8.5 hours later: Damn.. after only 8 hours of burn in she sounds incredible, I closed my eyes and smiled. I had this same reaction going from DX220 to DX228 but this time its different, M15 pairs with my QDC Anole VX (neutral sounding detail monster) soo much better, much more musical with the same if not better detail as DX228. Initially I was going to mod my DX220 and amp8 for $500 but I decided to go this route instead and I am so glad I did. I prefer to get lost in the music (Harbeth speakers) rather than be amazed by and focus on the technical details which is what the modded DX228 seemed would give me more of (the latter), M15 does both in my opinion. I imagine that the amp9 would be more my taste with the tubes but there was so much hiss with my IEMs that it was unusable and I had to return it and switch to amp8. In terms of hiss, they are almost silent but not 100%, I'd say the DX228 has very slightly less hiss.

I can't wait to keep listening to how the sound changes in the next 50-100 hours of burn in. So far Fiio hasn't let me down with the incredible $120 BTR5 and M15.

Side note: I'm listening on low gain and overear mode off, is there any advantage of changing either with iems? lmk if you have any other tips for me.

From what I understand the M15 uses hardware gain so it’s not useful to increase the gain unless you are nearing max volume in order to give yourself more headroom and more play with the volume.

I’m not as clear on what Overear mode does, originally I remember reading it increased current, but the Fiio faq simply says it increases power and also says it’s not suitable for IEMs.
If you turn it on and you have a tiny window of how much you can increase the volume I would suspect it’s not worth it because it also increases noise.
The Gearbeast review has a nice comparison of power and noise

● Single-ended output (normal mode) 215mW (32 Ohms), 31mW (300 Ohms), bottom noise < 2.1uV.

● Single-ended output (big ear mode) 490mW (32 Ohms), 70mW (300 Ohms), bottom noise < 3uV.

● Balanced output (normal mode) 635mW (32 Ohms), 120mW (300 Ohms), bottom noise < 3.8uV.

● Balanced output (big ear mode) 800mW (32 Ohms), 280mW (300 Ohms), bottom noise < 5.2uV.

May 24, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,307 of 4,083
I ordered this case.

I have M15 , its a monster player . Worth every €€. Now i think to gwt FA9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back