FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Mar 21, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #1,832 of 4,083
Note that dsd convert and play same time (so call realtime conversion). Onkyo HFplayer, Maiden Audio... can do such task so easily do A/B comparision.
Mp3 ->dsd no mean
Flac->dsd really effective.
More dynamic range, a bit clear, transparent but a bit thin body too

I tested several clips from my wife's own album which she heard hundreds of times and knows every little detail. The clip I have uploaded (Bsaat Irreeh) she was able to tell 100% if it is the original FLAC file or if it is the DSD converted file, when I played them randomly maybe 10 times. With some others it wasn't the case. As you said, the DSD file sounds clearer but also a tiny bit thinner and closer.

It is not something that is obvious with every recording, on every system/DAC and HP/IEM but on M15 it might be pretty audible, but not always positive, maybe, as the treble get so extended and sparkly that might be simply too much with some HP/IEM/recording combinations. For example, the Cynic / Traced in Air clip (Integral Birth) I uploaded the whole album becomes so bright that is hard to listen to for a long time. The mix is simply too sparkly. Some orchestral piece with piano gained some tiny bit of air but it simply does not make sense to have those huge files just for that difference. This is the case for most albums out there.

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,834 of 4,083
This is exactly what I have in mind if I am forced to describe the difference.

As said, the difference is subtle in most of the cases. I have been testing some albums and I found the DSD128 to be satisfactory enough for the additional amount of transparency it provides vs the file size, so decided to convert the handful of albums that I prefer as DSD to DSD128.

I am actually quite surprised about the amount of difference, as I haven't seen this much of a difference on other DAPs like the KANN Cube, SP1000 and WM1Z. Especially interesting on WM1Z which has a frequency visualiser, as the DSD converted files appeared to have more components in the higher frequencies but the difference was not really audible. I am not sure if there is a filter setting the FiiO application sets on the DAC which might be only applicable to the PCM data, to enforce a warmer signature. For some music it becomes simply too sparkly and for some it does not change anything. It is upto you to find the balance.

Mar 21, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #1,835 of 4,083
Deos anyone know what the effect is of Battery Saver mode on the M15? Will it affect the sound quality? If it will, would that only be for less sensitive cans requiring more power? Because with my relatively easy to drive Denon headphones I do not seem to hear much difference..

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #1,837 of 4,083
Mar 21, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,838 of 4,083
Psychoacoustics

It was not.
My audio path was Flac on samsung galaxy S3 - Maiden audio (or Teac or Onkyo etc) - usb fed to D14 ibasso.

There was 5 setting
1. Dsd 64
2.Dsd 128
3. Dsd 128 precision
(High load on cpu)
4. Dsd 256
5. Dsd 256 precision
(High load on cpu)

CPU in S3 had ability mode 5 but do not run other app event reload a webpage. Or do it with audio lag.
Conversion mode 3 is best to my ears.
Mode 5 is like too much DRC and thin sound.
Mode 4 as thin as mode 5, less DRC like effect but less clarity.

Note1. S3 become digital transpoter. It does NOT process as like a fiio dap can do: PCM ->DSD->DAC by single drive.
Note2. A dac can has not same ability to process dsd(bit perfect) and pcm(bit perfect).

If you curios the affect, do a try yourself. You just need a stand alone dsd capatible dac or a dap and a smartphone.
I dont know how you did AB test by a same track just difference in format. How many listening in seconds, you switch to A, B?
I dont need any one helped my do AB. I just need touch and touch a same place on the screen while I looking at the roof.

I said what I hear, no judgement the reason what device cause the difference in output.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #1,839 of 4,083
Deos anyone know what the effect is of Battery Saver mode on the M15? Will it affect the sound quality? If it will, would that only be for less sensitive cans requiring more power? Because with my relatively easy to drive Denon headphones I do not seem to hear much difference..
Here you go , you try it , if you BELIEVE you hear no difference then for YOU theres no difference.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #1,840 of 4,083
Here you go , you try it , if you BELIEVE you hear no difference then for YOU theres no difference.

LOL.. Thanks.. I was just curious if with harder to drive cans there would be a difference

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #1,842 of 4,083
Anyone get Roon to work? It says I need to update versions then links me to Google play, but there is no Play Store on the M15.

There is actually Google Play in the latest beta firmware: http://fiio-file.fiio.net/M15-ota-20200320.zip

The official FW will be out end of the month, FiiO says. So far it seems to be stable for me. This is what they added in the latest beta (from Facebook):

1. Added global USB Audio output (from now on you can get USB Audio with no SRC for all third-party apps such as Tidal ; currently only the PCM format is supported, the DSD format will be added in future update);

2. Improved the rule of HR audio quality classification (according to the JEITA standard);

3. Fixed somg bugs

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #1,843 of 4,083
There is actually Google Play in the latest beta firmware: http://fiio-file.fiio.net/M15-ota-20200320.zip

The official FW will be out end of the month, FiiO says. So far it seems to be stable for me. This is what they added in the latest beta (from Facebook):

1. Added global USB Audio output (from now on you can get USB Audio with no SRC for all third-party apps such as Tidal ; currently only the PCM format is supported, the DSD format will be added in future update);

2. Improved the rule of HR audio quality classification (according to the JEITA standard);

3. Fixed somg bugs

Very nice, did not know, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back