FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Mar 20, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #1,816 of 4,083
Mar 20, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #1,817 of 4,083
Hi fellow M15 users, I am aware of the upcoming HifiGo case that is supposed to come out somewhere mid-April, but are there any (temporary) alternatives out there as interim solution? I noticed some occasional remarks in this thread but haven't really been able to find anything that makes sense so far .. Any suggestions welcome :wink:

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #1,818 of 4,083
Woooaaah! I just added another clip from Cynic / Integral Birth (metal) and the difference on M15 is _incredible_!!! Tested using the balanced output and Stellia. Again, the conversion was done with AuI and DSD256 is directly converted from the 44 kHz FLAC clip.

Nobody seems to be interested in it but there is something strange going on there. I tried also the HQPlayer and did realtime conversion of FLAC to DSD256 and even DSD512, and also just FLAC without DSD conversion. Very interestingly, even the FLAC/PCM over USB (no conversion) sounds different from playback via the FiiO application. Over USB (DAC) playback, I heard nearly no difference between the DSD conversion and FLAC. Also playback via UAPP seems to sound closer to the playback of the DSD256 files.

Looks like the FiiO application is doing something with the audio, or am I hearing things?!?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #1,819 of 4,083
Hi @Davy Wentzler . I have been experimenting with DSD on both the FiiO application and UAPP. If you like, you can take a look at my previous posts about the FiiO app. But what is strange for me is, with UAPP, although DSD64 can be played directly, DSD256 seems to be converted to PCM (there is also a drop of volume). M15 should be able to support DSD256 natively and I don't understand why it is the case. This was also something I saw in the ADB logs with the FiiO app previously and thought it is DSD-over-PCM, but apparently it is not the reason. Here are the screenshots:

PhotoPictureResizer_200320_122306743_crop_1115x559.jpg
PhotoPictureResizer_200320_122226684_crop_1098x417.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #1,820 of 4,083
Io leggo con browser crome le vostre discussioni che le traduce nella mia lingua
Would be much easier for all of us if you could post in english, mate (already translated). It doesn't make sense to come here and post in italian. Nobody understands. If you want to participate and get feedback from other members, you got to use a translator and post in english. I know you read us in english via Chrome, but we (don't) read you in italian.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #1,822 of 4,083
Io leggo con browser crome le vostre discussioni che le traduce nella mia lingua

@ Bischero says in English (Bischero dice in inglese) be nice guys his country is going through the sh1t that you may be about to go through soon (sii gentile ragazzi, il suo paese sta attraversando la merda che potresti essere in procinto di affrontare presto)

Good evening everyone, I am honored to be a new member of this forum, thanks to you I inserted to listen to music in a different way! FiioM15, after returning my first Dap AK Kann which sounded very good, but this is not the reason why it is nailed after about a month of activity. So even major brands have their problems / flaws. Fiio M15 is not a cheap product but with a crazy quality / price ratio, honor to those who managed this beautiful player. I forgot, my display seems to have no defects. regards

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,823 of 4,083
[QUOTE = "AudioBomb, post: 15520579, membro: 522916"]
Sarebbe molto più facile per tutti noi se potessi pubblicare in inglese, amico (già registrato). Non ha senso venire qui e pubblicare post in italiano. Nessuno capisce. Se vuoi partecipare e ricevere feedback dagli altri membri, devi usare un traduttore e pubblicare post in inglese. So che ci leggi in inglese tramite Chrome, ma noi (non) ti leggiamo in italiano.
[/ CITAZIONE]

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #1,826 of 4,083
Nobody seems to be interested in it but there is something strange going on there. I tried also the HQPlayer and did realtime conversion of FLAC to DSD256 and even DSD512, and also just FLAC without DSD conversion. Very interestingly, even the FLAC/PCM over USB (no conversion) sounds different from playback via the FiiO application. Over USB (DAC) playback, I heard nearly no difference between the DSD conversion and FLAC. Also playback via UAPP seems to sound closer to the playback of the DSD256 files.

Looks like the FiiO application is doing something with the audio, or am I hearing things?!?

Out of curiosity I used free Aul to convert a 20MB flac into a 600MB DSD256 1-bit file (with 2-second blank in the middle). Female vocal. I can't really say I hear anything obviously different. I used the recommended settings and with dither off. Maybe that's not the best usage scenario of such conversion? Should I try other genres? Any recommendation on settings?

Mar 21, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,827 of 4,083
Out of curiosity I used free Aul to convert a 20MB flac into a 600MB DSD256 1-bit file (with 2-second blank in the middle). Female vocal. I can't really say I hear anything obviously different. I used the recommended settings and with dither off. Maybe that's not the best usage scenario of such conversion? Should I try other genres? Any recommendation on settings?

Not all recordings make any difference. That's why I uploaded the samples. Especially the Integral Birth clip. Bsaat Irreeh also has a quite audible difference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fVHl_-h-RPF8YyuNpTkosXGEukIJinpu

By the way, my original idea was right that DSD256 is being played as DoP (FiiO replied on Facebook) and that's why UAPP (and ADB logs) show as if PCM is being played.

Mar 21, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,828 of 4,083

I do not think it relate to M15 or fiio app.
Years ago I found the same thing on samsung phones galaxy S3 run Onkyo HF digital feed to D14 ibasso.

Mar 21, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #1,829 of 4,083

Note that dsd convert and play same time (so call realtime conversion). Onkyo HFplayer, Maiden Audio... can do such task so easily do A/B comparision.
Mp3 ->dsd no mean
Flac->dsd really effective.
More dynamic range, a bit clear, transparent but a bit thin body too

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,830 of 4,083
@FiiO Question - in Tidal, when streaming, Master (MQA) music files are fully decoded or does this function not work on the device without full MQA support?
Hi, we are working on it since Dec 2019, and it planed to be achieved by the end of this month, but due to the Virus, our enginer can't come to work until the end of last month, so this plan has been postponed.
Currently we have implemented system-wide MQA when you use digital output (Spdif / USB Audio), and we will continue to work to achieve it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back