[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Sep 24, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #1,111 of 2,990

Anyone having luck with Qobuz on 1.0.4?
Actually, it’s what I tested 1.0.4 on for 2 hours after I updated it. No problems at all with Qobuz; actually the best I have seen Qobuz behave on Android 9 or 10 (I don’t have any modern Android phones; I’m an iPhone/iPad guy with Android DAPs).

What issues with the Qobuz app are you seeing?

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #1,112 of 2,990

I truly hope an option to keep all those sensors ‘off’ on the FiiO part is possible.
and from what little r4ading I have done, possibly even deactivating the volume slider, and leaving it only as buttons (assuming they are physical).
Yes, you can disable double-tap to wake on 1.0.4 firmware (it’s actually off by default); and, since the very first firmware, you can disable the touch-volume completely and just use it as hardware buttons.

Cheers

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #1,113 of 2,990
Thanks for the feedback. We will contact the Italy seller to check about that again together.

Best regards
Hello @FiiO what do you mean this is a softwar issue .... what can do playstereo as italy seller.... your enginners have to correct the sw cause in fiio 1-02 was language italian info spanish after upgrade 1-0-4 language italian info english...... probably the issue is not still clear

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,114 of 2,990
@FiiO on a different topic, I am looking to purchase the MMCX detaching tool you are including in the FD7 package. I have an LC-RE cable connected to my FH7 and I cannot detach them with my fingers. The MMCX detach tool would be handy to switch cables when I need to. Can you please share a link to where I can order it? Thank you

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,115 of 2,990
Firmware 1.03 Amazon HD was mostly showing the correct kHz top portion of the Fiio screen. After installing Firmware 1.04 its stuck on 192kHz all the time, but when I check inside the Amazon app everything is showing correctly probably some glitch between Amazon Music and Android 10 software on the Fiio.

Tidal is working fine no issues shows it correctly. I also feel the general response of the Fiio is better on 1.03

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,116 of 2,990
Firmware 1.03 Amazon HD was mostly showing the correct kHz top portion of the Fiio screen. After installing Firmware 1.04 its stuck on 192kHz all the time, but when I check inside the Amazon app everything is showing correctly probably some glitch between Amazon Music and Android 10 software on the Fiio.

Tidal is working fine no issues shows it correctly. I also feel the general response of the Fiio is better on 1.03
I just noticed that i'm having the same issue while using Amazon Music HD, i'm happy that device capability is now showing correctly in the Amazon app after the Firmware upgrade. But it shows ever track being played as 192KHz on top of Fiio screen as stated by cat3600.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,117 of 2,990
I just noticed that i'm having the same issue while using Amazon Music HD, i'm happy that device capability is now showing correctly in the Amazon app after the Firmware upgrade. But it shows ever track being played as 192KHz on top of Fiio screen as stated by cat3600.

It's my understanding that that's how Amazon HD works. It determines the "device capability" and upsamples lower rate tracks to that sample rate. I have seen this discussed in other threads. I know my Hiby and Shanling DAPs do the same thing.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,118 of 2,990
“Upsampling”

Its not the magic panacea that every device and piece of software seem to make out that it is..
IT doesn’t help that the ‘yellow belt’, ‘conscientious consumer’ in all of us is so keen to ‘buy the best for our money‘ and believes in ‘bigger’ numbers as always better (eg camera sensors or CISC vs RISC processors).
Sure basic math suggests that bigger numbers are ‘more capable‘ or ‘better’, in many of these instances; certainly our devices are NOT the score tally to a golf game..

..but; there is so much more to sample rate conversion than meets the eye.

Reading the white doc for an ESS Sabre DAC chip, as an example shows that upsampling is done prior to jitter reduction.. This in no way makes sense to the audio nut in me.
Jitter is SOOOO destructive to the audio signal, and this approach just seems as an easy solution for the computer (to work with optimum ’word lengths’/calculation rate per chip cycle no doubt) and there is probably a really good reason for it that some audio engineer figured out would make the jitter (removal) step easier or ‘more effective’.

Delta Sigma DACs are highly dependant on getting jitter reduction done well (or avoiding the need in the first instance), vs Multibit designs that are ‘more resilient’ to the detrimental effect to the audio signal..

But jitter isn’t upsampling, so I suppose I am off my own topic’
Upsampling can be quite negative to the end output of creating ‘realistic’/lifelike music.. My understanding is it is mostly to try to get the ‘smearing’ down (in the filters) and is why I have fallen in love with the GTO filter (in iFi DACs). The GTO filter is very quick to make jitter extremely obvious, and so, even with all sorts of ‘jitter reduction’, the upsampling process ends up being hurt for having a less accurate feed to work from. I suppose yet another case of ‘garbage in equals garbage out’.

Getting the upsampling right is paramount to better sound in some instances, but many people do their absolute best to avoid it.
Myself - I like to compare, and if they sound the same (upsampled vs not upsampled) then I assume the quality of the audio circuit is poor.
In fact I love when ‘bad upsampling’ kills the sound; as then I know that the audio circuit is transparent enough to reveal this.

bad upsampling?
yeah - uneven multiples. like 44khz to 48khz- typically KILLS second harmonics on cymbal hits, or even the ‘metallic sounding’ cymbal hit in the first instance...

The best upsampling I have heard is certainly the GTO filter, although I like the way Chord homogenise the sound (my only experience being a Hugo, and NOT an MSCALER) and in many instances the benefits of performing crazy math on a music source (eg DSD conversion) is simply to make the file ‘transport‘ friendly, which often, again, comes down to filter design in the receiving parts’.

So really it is all about ‘parts of the whole’

The whole reason I am so excited for the M11Pro is having two clock chips (one for the 44khz branch and one for the 48khz branch), both being FemtoClocks (generally seen as ‘highly accurate’).
I know a lot of manufacturers will use ONE femtoclock, and based on how accurate it is, use it for BOTH 44 and 48khz (and their multiples) feeds..
Having two clocks, highly accurate, on a circuit design being fed clean power (not on the grid) with isolation to the feeds, and shielding (individualised) all over the joint..
The M11 DAP and ‘the high end‘ FiiOs are a ‘really exciting prospect’ to me.

Even if just used as a transport to outboard DACs, I totally trust in the customised OS (for pure audio), and the engineering effort to the hardware that makes this the cheapest box I have seen to do the task at hand. (with benefits like DSD conversion in case the DAC design works better with such a feed).

Of course our ears/minds are the final judge, and ‘audio being so subjective’ to interpret.. I just fall back on ‘if it gets my toes tapping’ (but also being acutely aware of any shenanigans that might reveal themselves in Cymbals and their ‘decay’, or tests of equivalent nature).

There is so much voodoo in getting it right, and even the industry papers that are the reference for high level sound acknowledge that our hearing is all so far beyond the point of the scientific tools to measure relevant aspects and in meaningful ways, that nowadays certainly, so much of the ‘spec sheet wars’ that go on is purely for marketing.
Some numbers getting ‘tailored’ to look good are actually at the expense of music sounding good, it all becomes an oxymoronic process.
Fortunately we have a community here to discuss about such things.. unfortunately we disagree on so many of the fundamentals due to having not experienced them for ourselves or disagreeing based on the science not being ‘evolved’ enough to cover some aspects of discussion.

Sample rate conversion is one of those big ‘with caveats’ discussion points, as ‘your system is not like mine’ (eg delta sigma vs multibit requirements towards jitter) all the way through to ‘my ear training is not the same as yours’ (insert argument about ‘thresholds for human observation’ (not scientific in the slightest due to seven billion samples)), to psychological factors and ‘perception of sound’, ‘innervation’ etc).
Non destructive sample rate conversion is probably going to do its best job with jitter free signals (always a great goal), and I find it incredible that some DAC chips upsample BEFORE they remove jitter, so clearly ‘not all paths are the same’.

To say I think the M11Ltd is a bargain is an understatement, and having just tried a bunch of android phones as a transport, unless I turned off nearly 30 features and functions, the ‘very obvious’ differences in the digital output was insane..
Which is why some devices just feed better bluetooth music, and irrelevant what ‘the white belt’ audiofools (or worse the blue belt audiophiles) tell us, digital cables, like all aspects of the chain, can have an effect on the signal delivered. (music players don’t ‘resend a bad packet’) Sure error correction can keep the music playing,.. but playing back for the sake of playing back vs playing back honestly ’what is there’ are two very different approaches to the summit of ’great sound’.

Needless to say M11LTD owners have a really great basis, going forward, to seeing their downstream music kit performing its best; ie not all transports are created equally.
Customised android that avoids needless Sample Rate Conversion (amongst other errors it also avoids/fixes) and also allows the M11Ltd to pass perfect zeros and ones for ‘better’/best sample rate conversion performed in offboard DACs etc is wholly worthwhile!

FiiO, truly “thankyou” for going to effort to engineer such a great music player and not heavily marking up the cost on this parts’ ‘swansong’. (this is a real gift to audio lovers)
Your efforts to make a great little ’do everything’ transport, with attention given to so many aspects of ‘getting audio right’, is wonderful. (even if many believe that their android phone will sound ‘just as good’).

Glad to be apart of this thread, look forward to a day when I have one of these ’bad boys’ to toy with!

For the record, I consider myself an audiofool; ‘everyday is a school day’, even thirty + years on this journey...

edited to change innovation to ‘innervation’ (a process our brain does to make something perceived, eg using blue and red to interpret ‘yellow’)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #1,119 of 2,990
@FiiO on a different topic, I am looking to purchase the MMCX detaching tool you are including in the FD7 package. I have an LC-RE cable connected to my FH7 and I cannot detach them with my fingers. The MMCX detach tool would be handy to switch cables when I need to. Can you please share a link to where I can order it? Thank you
Please contact support@fiio.com about that and inform us which country are you located in now. We could send the MMCX assist tool for you free of charge if you don't mind paying the shipping cost.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 27, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #1,120 of 2,990
Hello @FiiO what do you mean this is a softwar issue .... what can do playstereo as italy seller.... your enginners have to correct the sw cause in fiio 1-02 was language italian info spanish after upgrade 1-0-4 language italian info english...... probably the issue is not still clear
Thanks for the feedback. Since we do not understand Italian language well, so we need the help from the Italian seller for better correcting the translation again.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 27, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #1,121 of 2,990
My Fiio M11+ is acting possessed by the Devil since updating successfully to 1.0.4

How can I go back to a previous firmware? I tried resetting and it still acts demonic. By that I mean it randomly opens menus and stalls or won't open things when pressed and randomly act as if things have been pressed. I've been reading other feedback about the update and mine is simply not running right.

I tried downloading the 1.0.2 from the Fiio website but it looks like they took it down.

Anyone having luck with Qobuz on 1.0.4?
Would you mind contacting support@fiio.com with the log files attached? You could find the 'fiio_log' folder from the internal storage of the player. And please inform us the time of the problem as well. Thanks in advanced!

Best regards

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #1,123 of 2,990
-

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,124 of 2,990
I'm new to high end DAPs and FiiO. I wanted something better than the hacked, all digital iPod Classic Gen 7 I've been using for the last several years. I did a lot of research and felt that the M11 Plus LTD would be a good fit, so ordered one and just received it last week. I'm not new to Android, but this is my first experience with 10. I expect bumps in the road and frustration when setting up and learning how a new device works. I'm astounded at how good the M11+ sounds, but I'm appalled at how poor the documentation on how to use it is.

I'm having issues and have spent several days experimenting and searching the forums for answers, but coming up short. There doesn't seem to be any way to get help from FiiO except through support@fiio.com. I've sent several emails since last week, but so far nada. How does one get FiiO to respond ? I even tried using the error reporting with log sent directly from the M11+, but after showing progress and completing the submit I got a message that it failed to submit !

My current issues are 1) I can't get Playlists to work no matter what I do, and 2) mp3 files won't play correctly (all chopped up like only every 10,000th bit is used) in any of the several android apps I've tried from the Google Play Store -- except FiiO Music. None of the FiiO documentation, FAQs and troubleshooting provide any useful information on resolving. I got a notification of the new OS update OTA and was able to successfully complete it. However, it didn't fix either of my issues.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #1,125 of 2,990
I'm new to high end DAPs and FiiO. I wanted something better than the hacked, all digital iPod Classic Gen 7 I've been using for the last several years. I did a lot of research and felt that the M11 Plus LTD would be a good fit, so ordered one and just received it last week. I'm not new to Android, but this is my first experience with 10. I expect bumps in the road and frustration when setting up and learning how a new device works. I'm astounded at how good the M11+ sounds, but I'm appalled at how poor the documentation on how to use it is.

I'm having issues and have spent several days experimenting and searching the forums for answers, but coming up short. There doesn't seem to be any way to get help from FiiO except through support@fiio.com. I've sent several emails since last week, but so far nada. How does one get FiiO to respond ? I even tried using the error reporting with log sent directly from the M11+, but after showing progress and completing the submit I got a message that it failed to submit !

My current issues are 1) I can't get Playlists to work no matter what I do, and 2) mp3 files won't play correctly (all chopped up like only every 10,000th bit is used) in any of the several android apps I've tried from the Google Play Store -- except FiiO Music. None of the FiiO documentation, FAQs and troubleshooting provide any useful information on resolving. I got a notification of the new OS update OTA and was able to successfully complete it. However, it didn't fix either of my issues.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.
I don't have the new M11 Plus Ltd (Congrats! :) ), I have the M15 and we had some early bugs that FiiO fixed and since everything has been aok. It did take some months to fix all the complaints, so patience is required.

If the FiiO Music App plays your tunes, I'd stick with that for now. That seems to be the best shot for stability when FiiO releases new DAPs.

I use the UAPP app on the M15, the paid version + in app purchases bought, and streamed Tidal MQA through it while FiiO worked with Tidal to fix the problems - both needed to make software changes to get everything working - including displaying the correct mode/rate in the status bar.

That may work for you too for playing local files if the FiiO Music app isn't to your liking.

BTW, what apps are failing playback of which file types? What is the version of the app? What are the specific music files that FiiO can access to replicate your problems?

Are you playing from the local storage or a Flash Card inserted, or are you sharing storage over the network?

If you can set up examples and post links to them with specifics that FiiO can replicate your problems things will move quicker.

I'd post that info here and send it to Support / Feedback as well. @FiiO is pretty responsive here to reported problems, and they often post fix updates and request further information about problems here that we can contribute to the process.

I'm expecting similar growing pains for the M17 when it arrives, but I'm hoping FiiO will work out a lot of the Android 10 / software issues with the M11 Plus LTD first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back