[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #2,701 of 2,990
for portability, of course the BTR7 have their advantage as they are created that way.
I would actually argue against this depending on how long you are out for. Sure the BTR7 is smaller and lighter than the M11 but the battery life kinda sucks. If you're out only for a bit, it's fine but any longer than say 4-5 hours on balanced and you'll be scrambling for a charger.

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #2,702 of 2,990
I would actually argue against this depending on how long you are out for. Sure the BTR7 is smaller and lighter than the M11 but the battery life kinda sucks. If you're out only for a bit, it's fine but any longer than say 4-5 hours on balanced and you'll be scrambling for a charger.

Ahh right, i didn't think about batt life when writing, thanks for adding it for consideration.
Usually for on the go I'm using the UTWS5 with my 7hz timeless unless i have to stop by and need to kill time then i will bring my M11 plus instead

Mar 9, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,703 of 2,990
I have finally figured out that the Helix DSP Ultra either does not like 192khz audio either that or there is an issue with the M11 Plus at 192khz, constant noise/cracking in the background.

The Helix DSP ultra reports using dual D/A AK4456 DACs which are suppose to handle 768khz 32bit, so they should not be having any issues with 192khz.

Once you change to 96khz 24bit everything seems fine. Doesn't the M11 Plus have the ability to sense the maximum capability of equipment connected to it via digital coax and down sample 192khz to 96khz, if it is suppose to it does not seem to work in my setup. Once you play a 192khz track it seems to want to stay on 192khz. I have to play a 96khz track from the internal memory card for the streaming audio coming in via the Roon Arc app to resample stuff to 96khz for some reason.
One more thing that is frustrating me is after listening to the FIIO for a while and then shutting down the vehicle. Once I return and try playing from the FIIO, there is no output from the digital coax even though the track shows it playing on the screen. I have to reboot the FIIO to get the audio output to return to the digital coax output, any ideas?

Can anyone help with this?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #2,704 of 2,990
Once you play a 192khz track it seems to want to stay on 192khz. I have to play a 96khz track from the internal memory card for the streaming audio coming in via the Roon Arc app to resample stuff to 96khz for some reason.

There's a lot here :)

Roon ARC on Android, which includes the M11 Pro, has a "beta" feature which is called "Enable USB Driver". It's off by default. This feature, when enabled, allows ARC to become aware of external USB DACs and to play bit perfect streams to them. This means that if the source material is in a rate/frequency supported by the DAC, ARC will adjust and play to that. If ARC needs to downsample to accommodate the DAC, it will.

This feature works over USB, not coax, and may not support all DACs.

I believe you are hoping for this capability over your coax connection - you aren't going to get it with ARC. I have no idea if you'll get it with other apps.

Here's what you are going to get. When ARC launches, it will look at the state of the M11's DAC and will bind to that rate. So whatever the DAC is at when you launch ARC is what you're going to get. Want something different? Fully quit ARC, play something in whatever rate/frequency you want in some other smarter app (such as FiiO Music, Qobuz, Tidal, etc.). Quit that app, run ARC again. This is consistent with what you described.

I can't speak to the static issue. If you want to go deeper on Roon stuff, the Roon forum is probably a better place to do that. There's a FiiO section and a long thread on the M11 over there.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #2,705 of 2,990
I have finally figured out ………………… Doesn't the M11 Plus have the ability to sense the maximum capability of equipment connected to it via digital coax
As best I understand coaxial is a “dumb” connection with no back and forth communication between the connected devices.

I use coaxial out from my M11 Plus to several DAC/amps and it works well but any features that depend on cross communication like volume syncing, play pause etc don’t work.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #2,706 of 2,990
Hello guys. Quick question, would it be wise to go from M11S to M11plus ESS or no? If no, what would it be worth getting instead?
I also hear that FiiO will be releasing the successor to the M11plus ESS this fall... Would that be a worthy option waiting for?
Thank you for your opinions and suggestions. :)

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #2,707 of 2,990
Hello guys. Quick question, would it be wise to go from M11S to M11plus ESS or no? If no, what would it be worth getting instead?
I also hear that FiiO will be releasing the successor to the M11plus ESS this fall... Would that be a worthy option waiting for?
Thank you for your opinions and suggestions. :)
If you have a good budget, you can consider ibasso Dx240 with a better form factor.

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #2,712 of 2,990
Hmm that's sth that I didn't know. I had dx160 but luckily had no problem with my unit. M11plus Ess feels solid and works fine like the first day.

Mar 10, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #2,714 of 2,990
It was a problem with wife's DX160, I also read about that problem in DX300 thread. So it looks more like a bad implementation. In the end, this reduces the battery lifetime significantly and for that reason I switched to FiiO.
To be fair, almost all Chinese DAPs are prone to faultiness. My M11 Plus ESS stopped working out of the blue after 4 months, defective 3.5mm port.

Of course, perfection doesn't exist, no matter the maker.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #2,715 of 2,990
Yes, it's happening when using the FiiO app on the M11 Plus Ltd. Rather than the songs playing right from the beginning, it sounds like the song fades in and the first notes get clipped off.

Glad to hear your engineer is aware of this and I hope it is fixed with the next update. For now, I'm using the Neutron app where this issue doesn't occur.
Still waiting on a reply to this one from FiiO. Have also posted about it a few times at their forum, they asked me to email them a few affected music files and no response. Same on their Facebook page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back