[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #2,671 of 2,991
Gain level also depends on the connection to the IEM. I use only balanced output (first 2.5 now 4.4) and I have never felt the need to set gain above Low, and even then I limit the volume to 80 to prevent accidental hearing damage, but in practice I never go above 70.

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #2,672 of 2,991
I'm reading your replies, and I'm starting to realize that I seem to have hearing problems ))
I definitely don't have enough low gain, not only in terms of volume, but also it seems to me that there is not enough bass and all that.
I received my UM MEST MKII today, and there is the same situation.
Oh well...

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #2,673 of 2,991
I use my UM Mest on 102/120 using Medium Gain single ended 3.5mm
and use my Z1R on 108/120 using same Medium Gain but with 4.4 balanced

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #2,674 of 2,991
I'm reading your replies, and I'm starting to realize that I seem to have hearing problems ))
I definitely don't have enough low gain, not only in terms of volume, but also it seems to me that there is not enough bass and all that.
I received my UM MEST MKII today, and there is the same situation.
Oh well...
It's not about having enough low gain. It's not working as you think. Try using medium gain then, if you see you don't get enough loudness.

For example, I have Nf Nm2+ which gets quite loud in low gain so I leave it that way. However, with 7hz Timeless, I have to set it to medium or even high gain to get the best out of it.

Some people were even using desktop amps to run certain IEMs such as Tin P1 because it was simply not enough get the best out of it with low amping.

Lastly, i don't know much about the Mest MkII but check the reviews if it requires more juice. If not, then maybe try it with another device. If same that might tell a different story...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,676 of 2,991
It's not like IEMs are small and don't need a solid headphone amp. Some need a certain juice to drive
How do you feel the additional immersion through bone conduction in these UM MEST MKII models?
Honestly, I don’t feel it yet. So far, it feels just like very good multidriver iems, no more or less )
Probably, the effect of bone conduction is much better felt in CIEM form.

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #2,677 of 2,991
It's not like IEMs are small and don't need a solid headphone amp. Some need a certain juice to drive
How do you feel the additional immersion through bone conduction in these UM MEST MKII models?

Honestly, I don’t feel it yet. So far, it feels just like very good multidriver iems, no more or less )
Probably, the effect of bone conduction is much better felt in CIEM form.

The bone conductor in Mests are actually similar to piezoelectric driver, so maybe they just actually a piezo driver after all. Maybe they just using "bone conductor" term to make it cool and revolutionary but for me nothing extraordinary, they are good for an IEM but the "bone conductor" here is nothing special, maybe contribute for the Mest Imaging or detail but not like we can feel any differences.

While in incoming Mest Mk III they wrote the bone conductor as "Piezo bone conductor" maybe after a while, there is no more secret that the "bone conductor" is just Piezo driver
MK3_1267x700.png

What is funny sometimes I read comments about Mest user like "The bone conductor is real, i can feel the bass slam different from other IEMs" when actually the Mest bass is great, but not from the "bone conductor" since Unique Melody also stated, the "bone conductor" is responsible for 500hz and up, nothing do with low end section.
Placebo is real.

*Note : I love my Mest as I love my Z1R, just only sometimes gimmicks and placebos quite fun in our hobby

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #2,678 of 2,991
What is the power output @ 16ohms using 4.4mm balanced? I'm trying to get an idea of the power I'll be looking at with my MEST MK2 and if it's gonna be enough.

Thanks
Did you went ahead with the purchase? Is it a good pairing?

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #2,679 of 2,991
Did you went ahead with the purchase? Is it a good pairing?
Don't have the Mest Mk II but even with MkI i dont have any problem since i like treble details. There are times where lower treble a bit aggressive and ringing, and ocassional sibilance but within acceptable range for me, not too much and i didn't frown when they came.
The details and soundstage are great too.

I believe the mest mkII in terms of pairing with M11 plus ESS is a better pairing then mkI though since mkII is darker and warmer IEMs.

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #2,680 of 2,991
I have MKII and don't see any problems pairing with m11. I listen at medium gain and volume 65-75.
However, I must say that the treble were a bit harsh for me at the beginning (now it's softer, or I'm just adapted, I don't know).

Mar 3, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #2,681 of 2,991
Thanks for the responses.

I should’ve pointed out I’m looking to get the LTD version. I’m not sure about the synergy of them but I have a deal on a used unit from a known guy for 470$

Mar 3, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #2,682 of 2,991
Thanks for the responses.

I should’ve pointed out I’m looking to get the LTD version. I’m not sure about the synergy of them but I have a deal on a used unit from a known guy for 470$
There is no significant difference between LTD and ESS in real life, only slight nuances in the sound presentation. So, you can be sure everything will be fine!

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #2,683 of 2,991
I listen at medium gain and volume 65-75
Okay, I've done some experimentation )) and have to say that UM MEST MK2 is best revealed on M11 plus ESS at HIGH gain than at medium, it seems to me. Dense bass, closer mids, more expressive treble. Not sure about possible distortions, but I don't seem to hear anything like that.

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #2,684 of 2,991
Okay, I've done some experimentation )) and have to say that UM MEST MK2 is best revealed on M11 plus ESS at HIGH gain than at medium, it seems to me. Dense bass, closer mids, more expressive treble. Not sure about possible distortions, but I don't seem to hear anything like that.
That’s good to know. I’m torn between this or waiting and getting an RS6 while I use the cayin RU6 in the meantime.

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #2,685 of 2,991
That’s good to know. I’m torn between this or waiting and getting an RS6 while I use the cayin RU6 in the meantime.
The RU6 works nice with M11Plus.
You could also try to switch RU6 to fc6 and use that with M11Plus. You would get S/D and R2R sound. I made bad experience with Hiby support about batteriy replacement (gets really expensive with long shippingtimes and extra taxes)
So I went the road of m11+ ltd and ru6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back