[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #5,761 of 9,288
I can't find any current valid 60 day trial of Tidal for hi res. The was a slickdeals.com or similar promotion that expired. Got a link to something current?

It's not on the main pages. You need to go to the "Tidal Masters" area. https://tidal.com/masters

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #5,762 of 9,288
certainly, but not a nice touch. seems too flexible and delicate. But the touch works well.
I think a protective film is highly recommended.
I don’t think so, the installed glass screen protector is more than enough. No need to protect the protector, so to speak. :)

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #5,763 of 9,288
Since the purchase of the device, I listened to it with a balanced cable on the FH5 headphones and decided to put the original 3.5 cable now and I will say the following - the sound is as good, detailed, surround, but softer / more pleasant. I guess the power from the balanced jack is excessive for 16 OM headphones. For FH5, the power of the 3.5 connector is enough. I listen on the sixth filter. Has anyone else compared 2.5 and 3.5 sound outputs?
Yes, and I have to disagree. I think the FH5 sounds better balanced with both the M9 and M11. Same goes for the FH7. Not only that, I use high gain for both. My volume dial rarely goes above 40, but I love the headroom this gives me. I don’t find either IEM too loud at this level with a balanced cable.

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #5,764 of 9,288
Yes, and I have to disagree. I think the FH5 sounds better balanced with both the M9 and M11. Same goes for the FH7. Not only that, I use high gain for both. My volume dial rarely goes above 40, but I love the headroom this gives me. I don’t find either IEM too loud at this level with a balanced cable.

Im thinking of going for a FiiO LC4.4B next. I really like the 3.5mm cable that comes with the FH5. So im hoping 4.4mm does a difference to 3.5mm. :)

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #5,766 of 9,288

Is there an advantage of using high gain than low on iems?

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #5,767 of 9,288
I think it depends somewhat on your music preferences. I tried TIDAL and liked it; excellent app and sound quality. But as a primarily classical and jazz person the strong lean towards pop music in the curation of the service was a turn-off for me. I tried both Idagio and Primephonic--geared to classical). Idagio requires Google Play to listen offline to hi-res files (though not to stream), and the Primephonic app is shaky. But I like Qobuz quite a bit. Excellent quality, good coverage of jazz and classical, plus access to the pop stuff I want. Offline experience is very good.

I signed up for the 60 day Tidal review. You may have called it exactly, I'm having trouble finding much in the way of classical music, but maybe I'm still learning to navigate.

I looked at Qobuz music store hoping that represents a snapshot of their offerings, but maybe it doesn't. It has ... more ... classical, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Meanwhile, listening Ralph Vaughan Williams "English Folk Song Suite". So nice to hear after all this time, but I feel like I had to tell Tidal how to construct the complete composition from its constituent parts.

I noticed while searching that neither Tidal nor Qobuz seem to offer classic Telarc Digital recordings. I always liked those, perhaps there's something better these days, dunno. Has Telarc not made it to this hi-res digital age?

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #5,770 of 9,288
Is there an advantage of using high gain than low on iems?
I don’t think so, and some will tell you it’s actually better to use low gain because it’s less noisy, especially since the M11 is so powerful anyway. But since I hear zero hiss or noise with the FH7 and M11 in high gain, I like the feeling of dialing in a relatively low number to get the volume I need. Personal preference, that’s all. There’s definitely an advantage to going balanced, though, beyond just the extra power.

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #5,771 of 9,288
Fiio answered me about the DSD 256. They said Fiio engineers would check this information.
It excites me, since I have purchased albums in DSD 256.
E5G96.png

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #5,773 of 9,288
Fiio answered me about the DSD 256. They said Fiio engineers would check this information.
It excites me, since I have purchased albums in DSD 256.
E5G96.png

Thanks for keeping us in the loop bro, I look forward to there reply.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #5,775 of 9,288
I signed up for the 60 day Tidal review. You may have called it exactly, I'm having trouble finding much in the way of classical music, but maybe I'm still learning to navigate.

I looked at Qobuz music store hoping that represents a snapshot of their offerings, but maybe it doesn't. It has ... more ... classical, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Meanwhile, listening Ralph Vaughan Williams "English Folk Song Suite". So nice to hear after all this time, but I feel like I had to tell Tidal how to construct the complete composition from its constituent parts.

I noticed while searching that neither Tidal nor Qobuz seem to offer classic Telarc Digital recordings. I always liked those, perhaps there's something better these days, dunno. Has Telarc not made it to this hi-res digital age?
You have filter options in Qobuz to only see the genres you want. And I can’t speak to all of Telarc, but I searched the Scottish guitarist David Russell (who has recorded on that label) and found three of his albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back