[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
May 9, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,126 of 9,288
You could just try a few of them out yourself and see/hear which one you prefer.
Each person is different and has their preference but seems the popular ones are neutron player and hiby. But someone else may chime in and say differently.
Haven’t tried Neutron myself and HiBy is poor compared to FiiO (very unpolished). I prefer Poweramp - but I warn you it has a truckload or options and tweaks so if you only want to click and play, may not be for you. It’s super clean and the interface is highly polished though, which I appreciate as an Apple fan.

May 9, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,127 of 9,288
I was thinking the same thing. I guess if the poles weren’t in the same place the IEMs wouldn’t work or the amp would be damaged somehow. Funny if he thinks he’s actually getting balanced output from his SE cable just because he’s using an adapter :p
I guess i learned something new, a balanced cable is the answer. The forums are just that, a learning tool, and info sharing to steer those of us who are novices.

May 9, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,128 of 9,288
Depending on the design, he might be damaging the balanced amp by doing so. The grounds of each channel are tied together on a single ended connection and there is no way to untie these with a 2.5 adaptor.

I don't know but I don't think that would be the case? I guess those 3.5 to 2.5 adapters just take the left, right and ground from one end and do a double left double right. If he's using a "bad cable" he should get bad sound, distortion or no sound at all.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,129 of 9,288
anyone compared the Shanling m5s to the Fiio m11 as close in price?

also, how quick does the m11 load files eg. a full 200gb or 256gb micro sd card, put off the Shanling by slow load times as I swap between cards quite often.

May 9, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #1,130 of 9,288
anyone compared the Shanling m5s to the Fiio m11 as close in price?

also, how quick does the m11 load files eg. a full 200gb or 256gb micro sd card, put off the Shanling by slow load times as I swap between cards quite often.

If by 'load' you mean 'scan', then I would estimate three minutes (I might be underestimating). I have two 256Gb cards and I think it takes about six minutes to scan them both. But again, I might be being too generous with the time.
However, you don't have to scan. You can just plug them in and then browse by folder. If you're ok doing that (so not being able to see lists by artist/genre/album - just explore the folder like you would on a computer) then you don't have to wait at all, just pop the card in and off you go.
If you organise your folders reasonably well, this is a viable option (and in fact, it's the way I use my DAPs)

May 10, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #1,131 of 9,288
I didn't expect that the M11 is also good in watching videos whilst on the train. The screen size is big enough to enjoy NBA highlights, guitar reviews, etc. whilst travelling. I didn't need to switch between M11 and my smartphone if I wanted to listen to music and watch video clips. This M11 is a winner in my book!

Sorry, late to the thread and just making my way thru it so forgive me if this has already been answered, but can you confirm that the M11 is able to play videos (mp4, mkv, avi)? I regularly watch videos during my commute/travels, :astonished: shocking I know; I’m not a DAP purist/snob. The ability to watch videos is a must. Thanks.

It was stated earlier that you can load apk files even though Google Play isn’t available. Have you been able to install apps from apk, such as VLC? Also, I’m guessing there’s still no gyro so no auto-rotate?

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,132 of 9,288
Sorry, late to the thread and just making my way thru it so forgive me if this has already been answered, but can you confirm that the M11 is able to play videos (mp4, mkv, avi)? I regularly watch videos during my commute/travels, :astonished: shocking I know; I’m not a DAP purist/snob. The ability to watch videos is a must. Thanks.

It was stated earlier that you can load apk files even though Google Play isn’t available. Have you been able to install apps from apk, such as VLC? Also, I’m guessing there’s still no gyro so no auto-rotate?
Yes, you can play all those format. This is a full Android device. It is basically a smartphone without a phone LOL. For my videos, I use MXplayer as it is my favourite video player in Android for many years now.

Apk's can be installed. You can also install APKPure app so you can update the apps you have sideloaded.

May 10, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #1,133 of 9,288
I had a chance to listen to M11 today at HighEnd in Munich. Well made device, good sound quality but nothing special. I did not have a chance to play with different player apps or streaming services. I have compared side by side with my Sony WM1A and CA Solaris and Sony sounds better to my preference.
Firmware installed was not final and did not include LDAC compatible streaming reciever so I was not able to test with music I am familiar with.
I was positively surprised by FH7 IEMs, they match very well with M11. I would say this combination is a solid mid-fi combo or entry into hi-fi.

May 10, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,134 of 9,288
Yes, you can play all those format. This is a full Android device. It is basically a smartphone without a phone LOL. For my videos, I use MXplayer as it is my favourite video player in Android for many years now.

Apk's can be installed. You can also install APKPure app so you can update the apps you have sideloaded.
Speaking of videos, both Plex and Netflix work a treat on the M11. Just be aware that videos will normally flip the screen into landscape mode, but you then have to exit to home to flip back to portrait mode (there’s no gyro in there, and no manual way to rotate the screen). I’ve also noticed many of not all YouTube videos are out of lip sync when played back on the M11. Anyone else have that issue?

May 10, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,135 of 9,288
I had a chance to listen to M11 today at HighEnd in Munich. Well made device, good sound quality but nothing special. I did not have a chance to play with different player apps or streaming services. I have compared side by side with my Sony WM1A and CA Solaris and Sony sounds better to my preference.
Firmware installed was not final and did not include LDAC compatible streaming reciever so I was not able to test with music I am familiar with.
I was positively surprised by FH7 IEMs, they match very well with M11. I would say this combination is a solid mid-fi combo or entry into hi-fi.
The FH5 vs FH7 showdown on the M11 is what I’m really waiting to hear. As for SQ - you can tweak the M11 to almost anything you like with the proper software; I find FiiO Music is really just a starter app to get you going - there’s much better software that lets you take full advantage of the M11’s solid hardware.

May 10, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #1,136 of 9,288
Is there an international release date yet?

I swore after buying the Fiio X5iii that I would never buy another Fiio product again (the x5iii was sooo slow, has tons of bugs that were never fixed, and is a massive headache), but I'm wondering if the faster processor will fix some of the bugs in the M11. My biggest issue with Fiio is their music app, but is the M11 is the first of their players that will actually be fast enough to work well with 3rd party music apps (the x5iii never has for me), then maybe it's a good option.

Then again, maybe I should just try another manufacturer. It's just that the M11 is so much cheaper the other DAPs with dual micro-SDs that can hand 1tb each.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #1,137 of 9,288
You know, it really blows my mind how there is no release date yet and the estimated "end of May" is only a few weeks away.

May 11, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #1,138 of 9,288
Is there an international release date yet?

I swore after buying the Fiio X5iii that I would never buy another Fiio product again (the x5iii was sooo slow, has tons of bugs that were never fixed, and is a massive headache), but I'm wondering if the faster processor will fix some of the bugs in the M11. My biggest issue with Fiio is their music app, but is the M11 is the first of their players that will actually be fast enough to work well with 3rd party music apps (the x5iii never has for me), then maybe it's a good option.

Then again, maybe I should just try another manufacturer. It's just that the M11 is so much cheaper the other DAPs with dual micro-SDs that can hand 1tb each.
When it will be available everywhere soon you will be able to try it and decide yourself. But i think what depends on speed you will feel like going from middle ages with x5iii to 21 age future. Difference will be huge. :) Sound wise not so big but you should feel improvements too. So perhaps worth to try and renew your relation with fiio.:beerchug:

May 11, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #1,140 of 9,288
Quick question on my confusion with balanced input on M11. For balanced to work you need a headphone designated as a balanced headphone? I realize using balanced adapters does not work but I have a Phillips 9500 that has a detachable cable. If I bought a balanced cable on it would I be taking advantage of balanced input or am I wasting my money? Do I need to shop for a designated balanced headphone to use a balanced input properly? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back