[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
May 15, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,201 of 9,288
I use IEMs which cost more than 1000 bucks and FiiO is a very good DAP to pair with them. Do not underestimate the M11. I have heard other more expensive DAPs with the same IEMs and I wouldn't say that M11 is that far in terms of SQ. I wouldn't call it inferior at all. Maybe different.
Hi, that’s good to know and I definitely agree. The transducer always makes the biggest difference, as does synergy between headphone and source gear. I can’t see myself upgrading from the M11 anytime soon, given it literally has all the bells and whistles one would want in a dap (unless you’re specifically after a full Google/Google Play/gyroscope device in a dap). SQ is superb, with perhaps the only caveat being there’s not enough Google-independent software out there (yet) that’s lets you use the full power of the high-res dac chips. And like I said before it’s not a desktop replacement if you’re using very hard to drive high impedance headphones - although many of the higher-end cans nowadays are being made fairly sensitive and relatively low impendance, in which case the M11 is a very capable driver indeed.

May 15, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #1,202 of 9,288
IMG_20190515_165000.jpg
3 days from shipping confirmation to my doorstep

May 15, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,203 of 9,288
How does warranty work with fiio? Is it through the company regardless of where its purchased or do we deal with the retailer? Ali vs local?

Edit: I mean if I buy local vs off Ali, do I need to send the device back to China to be serviced either way?

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #1,204 of 9,288
For those who are interested, my (silent) unboxing of the M11.

May 15, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #1,206 of 9,288
First impressions, great build quality, tpu case is meh, and display looks great. Using Fiio music for now until I find a way to use UAPP. Using a 512GB Samsung Evo card with my full library of 28000 songs, scanning took about 28 minutes in slot 1 (The throttled slot) as I'm saving slot 2 for my DSD memory card when I purchase it (My dsd folder is only about 60GB, and mostly duplicate albums). Sound is great! Matches my Kanas Pro extremely well. My only complaints so far are that there's no ability to sort by album artist by default (Which I knew going in, but that's a nitpick) and that fiio music seems to play 10-15 songs in a row, with no problem with me scrolling through my library and will just randomly crash while scrolling. Outside of that, extremely happy with my purchase and can't wait to pick up a balanced cable and potentially a set of FH7 to go along with it.

May 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,207 of 9,288
First impressions, great build quality, tpu case is meh, and display looks great. Using Fiio music for now until I find a way to use UAPP. Using a 512GB Samsung Evo card with my full library of 28000 songs, scanning took about 28 minutes in slot 1 (The throttled slot) as I'm saving slot 2 for my DSD memory card when I purchase it (My dsd folder is only about 60GB, and mostly duplicate albums). Sound is great! Matches my Kanas Pro extremely well. My only complaints so far are that there's no ability to sort by album artist by default (Which I knew going in, but that's a nitpick) and that fiio music seems to play 10-15 songs in a row, with no problem with me scrolling through my library and will just randomly crash while scrolling

The crashing is what puts me off. The x5 iii is such a massive piece if sh_t, that I swore never to buy another fiio product. Mine crashes or briefly locks up constantly.

May 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,208 of 9,288
First impressions, great build quality, tpu case is meh, and display looks great. Using Fiio music for now until I find a way to use UAPP. Using a 512GB Samsung Evo card with my full library of 28000 songs, scanning took about 28 minutes in slot 1 (The throttled slot) as I'm saving slot 2 for my DSD memory card when I purchase it (My dsd folder is only about 60GB, and mostly duplicate albums). Sound is great! Matches my Kanas Pro extremely well. My only complaints so far are that there's no ability to sort by album artist by default (Which I knew going in, but that's a nitpick) and that fiio music seems to play 10-15 songs in a row, with no problem with me scrolling through my library and will just randomly crash while scrolling. Outside of that, extremely happy with my purchase and can't wait to pick up a balanced cable and potentially a set of FH7 to go along with it.
I'd love to hear if you get UAPP working. Full MQA support is really the only thing holding me back from purchasing an M11.

Anyone else see this? Is this an old update and is MQA no longer working on the M6/M7/M9, or is there hope after all? https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/162138.html

May 16, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #1,209 of 9,288
I use IEMs which cost more than 1000 bucks and FiiO is a very good DAP to pair with them. Do not underestimate the M11. I have heard other more expensive DAPs with the same IEMs and I wouldn't say that M11 is that far in terms of SQ. I wouldn't call it inferior at all. Maybe different.

High cost does not always mean high sound quality. Not that I am saying the M11 or whatever IEMs you are using are bad by any mean.

Just take a look at most "high end" (read overpriced) A&K DAPs or most Beats or CrApple headphones, they don't sound anything spectacular (in fact, as far as the later are concerned, they sound rather awful), yet they are somewhat expensive, I wouldn't be spending a single cent towards any of these brands at this point in time though, the average consumer, including many "audiofool" have a blind trust in these brands and don't know any better. There are much better sounding, yet much more affordable options to pick from.

May 16, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #1,210 of 9,288
If I wanted a desktop replacement and had $1000 IEMs? Probably an A&K or a W-series Sony. I don't think the HiBy or iBasso or Cayin players come close to the industrial design and raw power of the true 'high end' players, but then I also don't need or would ever consider a true high end player for myself. I think it's total overkill, unless I win the lottery or decide to sell off my desktop rig and go mobile-only. So for me the "sweet spot" is the upper end of the mid-tier players, and the M11 in my option is the sweet spot in terms of performance/features/SQ and easily the best value cost-wise for what you're getting.

I am fairly confident Hiby, iBasso and Cayin's high end DAPs can power and drive your $1000 IEMs just fine. IEMs typically don't require much power to drive, the only exception being some odd combo like attempting to drive the IER-Z1R on the WM-WM1A/Z (which doesn't have that great a power output on SE).

Then again, if I had $1000+ to shed on IEMs, I would just go "endgame" and buy the electrostatic variety like the Shure KSE1200 or the Stax SR-003MK2+SRM-D10 combo, granted those both require a portable Energizer to drive but it's so worth it and put all dynamic IEMs to shame.

May 16, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,212 of 9,288
The crashing is what puts me off. The x5 iii is such a massive piece if sh_t, that I swore never to buy another fiio product. Mine crashes or briefly locks up constantly.
FWIW, I haven't experienced any crashes with the FIIO Music app, nor any lock-ups. The only software issue I have had is with the Qobuz app; on occasion it doesn't respond right away when I press play.

May 16, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,213 of 9,288
Would you pleases state which DAPS have better sound quality than the M11. Im open to trying anything, especially if its cheaper than the M11. thanks

I haven't had the chance to listen to the M11 yet, on paper however these should sound better, from better to worse: The Cayin N8, the Hiby R6 Pro, the iBasso DX220+AMP8, the Fiio x7ii+AMP3, the Sony NW-WM1A/Z (it however seriously lacks power, it sounds cleaner though than all of the above though and has the longest lasting battery life of all those DAPs).

May 16, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,214 of 9,288
Not a single crash on the M11 in 3+ weeks, and I've thrown tons of apps at it, trying new and different stuff (this is my first Android device). It's rock solid, as solid as any modern name-brand smartphone.

May 16, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #1,215 of 9,288
Not a single crash on the M11 in 3+ weeks, and I've thrown tons of apps at it, trying new and different stuff (this is my first Android device). It's rock solid, as solid as any modern name-brand smartphone.

The M11 seems to be worth the money, I am curious as to how it sounds, had it supported the Google Play framework, it would have been my first choice for my next DAP, instead I settled for the Hiby R6 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back