[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Apr 25, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #841 of 9,288
Apr 25, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #847 of 9,288
Probllem is if you purchased the MQA add-on or Parametric EQ you can't use them because they require google play services to verify your purchase.

Yes. I still use my UAPP paid version with the Mate 20pro and Cozoy Takt Pro. Still my favourite to use in phone

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #848 of 9,288
There's plenty of places to get the apk but to verify a purchased app it requires google play services.
OK, got it. So downloading and using an apk for a free app is no problem. But if a purchase has to be confirmed, Play Store (Play services) is required on that specific device. Well poop. Too bad there isn’t a license key generated on the supported device that can then be entered on the device where you have to install from the apk.

I am completely new to the world of apks... I downloaded my first one (but it was on a device with Google Play Store - R6 Pro) because I needed an older rev of Tidal. That’s the sum of my experience getting anything from anywhere other than the Play Store!

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #849 of 9,288
OK, got it. So downloading and using an apk for a free app is no problem. But if a purchase has to be confirmed, Play Store (Play services) is required on that specific device. Well poop. Too bad there isn’t a license key generated on the supported device that can then be entered on the device where you have to install from the apk.

I am completely new to the world of apks... I downloaded my first one (but it was on a device with Google Play Store - R6 Pro) because I needed an older rev of Tidal. That’s the sum of my experience getting anything from anywhere other than the Play Store!
The purchase is tied to your play store account not the device.

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #850 of 9,288
I think it's plausible to get Google Play Services running on the M11.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-gapps-android/

It'd be really easy to do if we can get root or if the bootloader is unlockable.

Essentially, there are few components to Google Play Services: Google Services Framework, Google Contacts Sync, Google Account Manager, and Google Play Store. There could be a few others I'm forgetting. But, if the bootloader is unlockable, then a custom recovery like TWRP can be built for the M11, and then you'd flash GAPPS.

I'm debating buying a M11 to see if I can get Google Play Services up and running. Not having Google Play Services, and therefore access to Google Play Music is a non-starter for me with this device. Even though I have a local backup of all my music, all my music is in Google Play Music's cloud.

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #851 of 9,288
I think it's plausible to get Google Play Services running on the M11.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-gapps-android/

It'd be really easy to do if we can get root or if the bootloader is unlockable.
Wow. That’s interesting. Basically what this says is that there are two ways to get Google Play Services running: either by having the type of device certified (essentially by the manufacturer, this route is closed due to Google policy) or having the specific unit registered with the Googlers.

For the latter the only thing needed is a so-called GSF ID which can be extracted from the device given root access. Now my question is: shouldn’t it be possible for FiiO to provide som sort of trivial utility to extract this GSF ID even in the absence of user root access? Then FiiO would essentially say to their users:

”We (FiiO) cannot get Google Play certified for all M11s due to Samsung/Exynos7872/Nougat/Google policy/yada yada, but we’re providing this data (the GSF ID) for you so that you can do it on your own, for your own M11 if you so choose. This is clearly under your own responsibility, but we do provide you with the choice.”

Please FiiO, if this is technically possible then I think this would be a wonderful thing. It would potentially cause lots of people that are only holding back due to the absence of Google Play to go for the M11.

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #852 of 9,288
Not even the flagship player yet intrigued I am. And they've greatly course corrected by going with Samsung for SoC this time around. Real support that should last unlike the Rockchips nonsense. Will have to see how this plays out.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #853 of 9,288
One week in...

I'm very happy with the M11. The sound is terrific on all sorts of files, from HiRes Qobuz offline files to my own FLAC and ALAC files and even Spotify offline files. I haven't even touched EQ, but for me this player has just the kind of sound I want. I listen to mostly classical and jazz and the M11 handles everything from a big Mahler orchestra to a small jazz combo with transparency, detail, and just a hint of warmth. On pop and rock, big, well-defined bass, great vocals and guitars. I was listening to the remastered White Album coming in on the train and it sounds terrific...I didn't want to shut it off.

But to me the thing that really sets this apart from the M9 (which I also liked) is the more robust processor and larger memory. Multitasking is possible--I was listening to QoBuz HiRes files while creating playlists in the Fiio music app. Every operation on this device--booting up, scrolling, opening apps, searching--is smoother and faster by an order of magnitude from the M9.

I haven't had a single glitch so far, and none of the reported/suspected issues have arisen. My 4.4 jack is fine (and so is the 2.5...I haven't even tried the 3.5 yet). No issues reading off of both memory cards. I can stream on WiFi and listen on LDAC at the same time. [Edit: After writing this I tried the 3.5 mm jack. It works fine. When the 3.5mm jack is used, the icon displayed is a set of headphones. When the 4.4 or 2.5 jack is used, the icon is a solid circle with an enclosing ring]

All I want now is a leather case and more time to listen to music.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #855 of 9,288
Does anyone know how powerful is the output? Up to what impedance headphones have you used the M11 with?

10258929.jpeg

upload_2019-4-26_0-12-54.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back