[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #331 of 645
As for the heating, this is the maximum temperature, then I saw it at home. On both sides.
photo_2024-03-06_19-05-58.jpg
photo_2024-03-06_19-05-50.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #332 of 645
As for the heating, this is the maximum temperature, then I saw it at home. On both sides.photo_2024-03-06_19-05-58.jpgphoto_2024-03-06_19-05-50.jpg
That's high, in the electronics world. Wth?!

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #333 of 645
first thing to bring it in perspective is that even the surrounding is 27 degree which would be like a very hot above 30 degrees celsius day while in shadow.
In this circumstances 43 degree celsius isnt really that much in the electronics world. the cpu in my laptop is hotter even in idle and gets to almost double as hot when gaming. i wouldnt worry about that at all! all good. Even my ibasso dx200 gets hotter when playing as usb dac or when playing really high kbps files on its own.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #334 of 645
That's high, in the electronics world. Wth?!
For a human being, certainly. But for electronic stuff, I'd say you should start worrying around 100°C and above...

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #336 of 645
I've been keeping my device at EQ settings on "OFF" but it keeps resetting to "JAZZ" every now and then. Also if I have set a preset or peq and then try turning the eq back to off from the app it doesn't go back to the off setting and I have tho manually change it back to the off setting for the device which can be a annoying. @FiiO please fix 🫶

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #338 of 645
I've been keeping my device at EQ settings on "OFF" but it keeps resetting to "JAZZ" every now and then. Also if I have set a preset or peq and then try turning the eq back to off from the app it doesn't go back to the off setting and I have tho manually change it back to the off setting for the device which can be a annoying. @FiiO please fix 🫶
I have noticed this occasionally also, I believe there is a new firmware going to be released very soon - hopefully this will be fix in that firmware

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #339 of 645
Same here. Once they sort out the PEQ amplification issue I'll be happy with it and will consider it their flagship of its time.

This is all just demo playing really though coz the real dongle will be when they implement FPGA... Only then will we really see a game changer.

Other than the hardware button not being mapped for a skip/pause I'm pretty happy with the ka17. It's way above the ka03. Never gone above that in the range before but I've not experienced any disconnections or wild pops (I did with the ka03). Just the occasional bit of heat but that seems to be from me oversampling to pcm. Seems pcm puts a bit more stress on it.

Not needed the desktop mode as I'm using fiio fh3 iem's.

Could anyone here suggest some open back cans that would pair well with the ka17 please. I'd welcome some feedback. I've got a budget of around £200-300

All the best everyone
Bro. Philips shp9500. It's always the 9500 if you want stellar performance on minimal budget. Always always always.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #340 of 645
They are people that have as a religion the legendary 6series from Sennheiser. I belong to these people so there is nothing other to suggest really.

But you may find attractive this sound signature or you may not at all.

If you can stretch a bit more you can find a good offer on 660s2 and call it a day for many years.

The ka17 will drive them like there is no tomorrow.
Try shp9500. The hd600 is about 5% better but quadruple the price.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #341 of 645
I did a test on sunday where i compared directly the ka17 with the desktop mode off and ka5.

The ka17 was still much better (even though i still enjoyed much my ka5) running not hot at all and consuming much less battery than before because was simply not in desktop mode.

Is like having a plug in electric car which is driving fine in electric mode but complaining that burns fuel and makes noise when we put it in full engine mode for getting full performance. And then again i need a small car to park in the city but this huge SUV does not park very at all.

The situation reminds me a bit the iphone 4 antennagate. Only competitors are happy to read this thread.
The ka17 consumes more power than ka5 when d mode is off BTW. . I just don't believe you if you think the KA17 sounds noticeably better. Maybe you have ears like a bat. Or maybe cognitive dissonance for your new purchase.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #342 of 645
The ka17 consumes more power than ka5 when d mode is off BTW. . I just don't believe you if you think the KA17 sounds noticeably better. Maybe you have ears like a bat. Or maybe cognitive dissonance for your new purchase.
If the HD600 sounds 5% better than the Philips then the ka17 sounds 5% better than the ka5.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #344 of 645
I had both the KA5 and the KA17 and in the a/b comparison the KA17 sounds better in my opinion. The trebles are a little more present on the KA17. Tested with the Sundara.
I agree, I also had a K5 and it has a worse HF than the KA17. They were indistinct, less resolution. Everything is fine on the KA17, after the E1DA 9038D I have no complaints about the sound quality, they play great on my Sennheiser HD660S headphones.
By the way, if you have a loud click when connecting, then delete the fiio application and everything will be fine right away. Moreover, using the equalizer you don't have a bit perfect sound, why worsen the sound? Better buy good headphones and you won't have to deal with this nonsense with the equalizer, making the sound worse.

photo_2024-03-11_10-54-44.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back