[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #362 of 706
Only through a Windows computer
I live in Berlin only windows computers I have access to are windows 7 at internet cafes on which I tried this morning and the setup said it needed a different / newer OS. I have an android phone and a MacBook. This is pretty stupid @FiiO shouldn't be so restrictive with your firmware update requirements. Nothing upon purchase stated I would need a windows laptop to make this device function. Come on guys do better.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #363 of 706
I live in Berlin only windows computers I have access to are windows 7 at internet cafes on which I tried this morning and the setup said it needed a different / newer OS. I have an android phone and a MacBook. This is pretty stupid @FiiO shouldn't be so restrictive with your firmware update requirements. Nothing upon purchase stated I would need a windows laptop to make this device function. Come on guys do better.
To be fair to FiiO the KA17 is functional without the updates, but you do have a good point. It is particularly interesting they chose this route since something like the BTR7 can do updates via the app.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #365 of 706
To be fair to FiiO the KA17 is functional without the updates, but you do have a good point. It is particularly interesting they chose this route since something like the BTR7 can do updates via the app.
Lot of things don't work right which the update is supposed to fix. The device is not necessarily functioning as it should on the previous firmware with many users having issues that ruin the experience.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #366 of 706
Lot of things don't work right which the update is supposed to fix. The device is not necessarily functioning as it should on the previous firmware with many users having issues that ruin the experience.
OK. My experience wasn’t “ruined” without it, but I can understand that yours or someone else’s might have been. Good luck finding a way to update.

P.S. it might be interesting to find out why only Windows and not Macs are supported, since FiiO isn’t the only one. I wonder if it is FiiO or Apple creating the issue?

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #367 of 706
After the 0.99 update I can play now DSD on my iPhone15 Pro Max.

Thanks @FiiO for fixing this :)

I think overall the KA17 is now better and hopefully all of the bugs are now fixed but one thing I want to know is an explanation for the Filters.

EDIT:
The equalizer is as bad as before. Sometimes the gain doesn't save like before. The volume is significantly lower and when you want to scroll to bypass from your custom settings* the only option is to scroll trough all settings otherwise the music will stop because the KA17 changes the mode like before when you turn on/off the MQA mode.

*to compare the volume of your custom equalizer with the bypass setting.

EDIT2:
Now you can change the volume on both the KA17 and the connected device but there is one flaw. The volume on my iPhone is significantly lower than my PC or my Android device.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #368 of 706
I'm waiting for my KA17 to be delivered, anyway I was reading the firmware upgrade instructions and it's not very clear to me:

"2. Connect KA17 to the Windows computer"

"6. When "Firmware upgrade finished successfully" appears, you can unplug KA17 and then connect the USB cable. At this time, the upgrade pop-up window "Updating, about 3 mins, PLS don’t unplug USB" will appear on the screen of KA17".

So, unplug the KA17 from the Windows PC and then re-connect the USB to the Windows PC for the update?

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #369 of 706
I'm waiting for my KA17 to be delivered, anyway I was reading the firmware upgrade instructions and it's not very clear to me:

"2. Connect KA17 to the Windows computer"

"6. When "Firmware upgrade finished successfully" appears, you can unplug KA17 and then connect the USB cable. At this time, the upgrade pop-up window "Updating, about 3 mins, PLS don’t unplug USB" will appear on the screen of KA17".

So, unplug the KA17 from the Windows PC and then re-connect the USB to the Windows PC for the update?

Yeah, that's written a bit confusingly. I just successfully completed the update. It means that the KA17 needs to be unplugged and plugged back in to start the upgrade once the firmware has been loaded onto the device.

@FiiO I have to say I don't like being able to control the volume with my laptop. This is a downgrade for me. :frowning2: There should be a way to turn this off. I never want two volume settings for any amp. One is enough.

I now have to adjust the volume on both devices every time I plug in the KA17. Being frank, here: this firmware update has ruined what was formerly a good device.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #371 of 706
So the new Firmware has the same problem with editing the 'Q' Values in the'advanced' view - if your a Q value's need to be in these ranges to 'work' and be saved otherwise the get saved as negative Q values and mess up the Custom EQ:

> 0.25-1.27 - These are valid values
> 2.56-3.83 - These are valid values again
> 5.12-6.39 - These are valid values again - positive signed bit
> 7.68 -

For those that recognise computer patterns 0-127 is ok 128-255 is bad 256-383 is ok again - it all bits and bytes

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #372 of 706
I don‘t have any clicking sounds, and I just bought the 7hZ timeless ae because I don‘t want to use the equalizer. The Sundara has too little Bass for me when I hear music and the 7Hz is for me the perfect IEM for Rap/Electro.
INITIAL FINDINGS:

I just got a FiiO KA17 (dongle). Using the FAST filter. High Gain. EQ off. 4.4mm balanced out.

My Audiogram: I have a dip in the 8 KHz region. Sharp drop off after 10 KHz. I max out at 12 Khz.

USE CASE: out for a stroll. . Desktop is off. Very nice match with my 7Hz Timeless. The bass is tighter than my KA3 (more accurate and fast transients). The Sabre boost in the 8Khz region works with my hearing deficiencies.

USE CASE: Desktop (Tidal, Win11), driving Meze 109Pro, and Audeze LCD-XC. Desktop mode on. iFi iUSB Power provides clean 5V for the KA17. I find similar improvements; a very pleasing sound.

1710284303667.png

BATTERY DRAIN: on my old iPhone6 is about 25% over two hours (at high gain).

COMPARISONS: Noticeable improvement over my KA3 in portable use case. Out of my iPad Pro, my RU6 (R-2R) is warm sounding in comparison; the KA17 sounds different (better match to my ears.), At the desktop, the KA17 easily bests my old CEntrance M8 and other DACs.

I am waiting to read more reactions to the latest firmware update before trying it. It's not clear how useful the functionality changes are for my Use Cases.

Keep me informed guys!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back