[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #316 of 641
Dear friend,

The KA17 utilizes a different audio device and architecture. The complete audio architecture achieves the sound quality, but also brings an increase in power consumption. However, we have done a lot of efficiency optimization in our products, and the final heat generation is within the acceptable range for most users.

Best regards
I like fiio products a lot. I just think that there are a lot of compromises with this device that I find surprising in a flagship product. And the bugs and disconnection issues are not acceptable.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #317 of 641
I like fiio products a lot. I just think that there are a lot of compromises with this device that I find surprising in a flagship product. And the bugs and disconnection issues are not acceptable.
I understand what you mean, the problem with this device is that it does not have a clear and simple way of use for android or ios with their softwear peculiarities, both by FiiO and leaving us to ourselves. The popping problem only happens to me when I connect the dongle, sometimes I have to close the streaming app and reopen it as they can't be recognised.

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #318 of 641
I understand what you mean, the problem with this device is that it does not have a clear and simple way of use for android or ios with their softwear peculiarities, both by FiiO and leaving us to ourselves. The popping problem only happens to me when I connect the dongle, sometimes I have to close the streaming app and reopen it as they can't be recognised.
I find the problems intermittent. Sometimes it plays without having to open the fiio app and detect the device, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes opening an app or pressing the home button makes it disconnect and it needs to be un plugged and replugged. Sometimes that doesn't work and it needs to be deleted in the fiio app and readded. Sometimes changing a setting makes it disconnect. Sometimes it demands you open the eq setting on the device before it will connect, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it pops when you start playing, sometimes it only pops if you change a setting and then play, sometimes it doesn't pop. The inability to play/pause from the multifunction button or skip tracks using volume is both absurd, as the ka5 and ka13 (for skip track) do this, meaning you have to open the phone up, open the app up and do it manually, instead of on the device, when all other settings are device only. I suspect this is a limitation from the ess dac maybe.
The need to carry around a battery pack to use desktop mode without severe battery drain is unfortunate, making the whole thing a half baked compromise, especially when ka13 is so close in actual power 78mw less on D mode, (not 100 as listed in specs) but with less power consumption than the KA17 in non desktop mode is the final insult, as the ka13 doesn't even need external battery for almost the same power.

Yes the KA17 may ultimately have a better sound for those with very sharp ears who a/b test (maybe!) but this is a portable device first, not really a desktop replacement unless someone really needs a dongle to do both.

Mahbe the ka15 will be the sweet spot but at the moment the ka5 is the best choice for those who dont need demanding power, and the ka13 is the best bang for the buck on the market.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #319 of 641
I think so far everyone already gets the memo that KA17 is not the be-all-end-all of USB dongle. Then again, I question the notion that any USB dongle can ever be an all-perfect device under all and every circumstances for every single user. The audiophiles' journey is all about finding that right combination of gears that put a smile on your face, so don't get too hang up on those that don't.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #320 of 641
I love to see a HOT piece of (aural) Sabre Equipment that suits most users well. A+! Very well done in the engineering of this world class Heat-machine!! Free cell phone hand warmers beat mitts on some of the chilliest and cold days if traveling. At the airport I'll wonder how people do without their own yeasty_KA17, like Olaf wonders how Snow gets by without its summer,
Uhh,
Cheerio! Thanks for the respectability of the KA17. Don't mind the haters thermo-sexual preference. The unit had to be good enough to earn and indeed carve a niche, and you made the right choices!! Much Moar Portable V-Swing, please and thanks from my ears and headphones
Wow, I would say that it’s safe to assume you are not a fan. There are literally dozens of dongles to choose from, and hopefully you will find one that will give you what you are looking for.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #321 of 641
I think so far everyone already gets the memo that KA17 is not the be-all-end-all of USB dongle. Then again, I question the notion that any USB dongle can ever be an all-perfect device under all and every circumstances for every single user. The audiophiles' journey is all about finding that right combination of gears that put a smile on your face, so don't get too hang up on those that don't.
really well said! i do second that. As i wrote in another thread already, its all about fun in finding ones most comfortable chain. When going by specs or what others say, ones individual decision for a specific device might even look or be stupid from a logical perspective. This doesnt matter tho, because the moment you start listening to music and feel "at home", the decision is still plausible and the right one.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #322 of 641
Thanks for ignoring all the other points I made. The much higher power consumption in D mode which is not good for a portable device, hot to the touch, constant disconnection issues. Lack of app support, random popping noises. Crashing after changing settings. Device not being recognised and needing to be deleted and readded, poor hardware controls, increased size and weight and cost, worse efficiency, and don't you realise your hypocracy. You are saying to ignore me on the basis of paper specifications. That's exactly what you are doing. Did you a/b test? And if so. Maybe you think the significantly worse usability and quality of life and bugs are worth it for a tiny if even detectable difference in sound quality. I don't. This is a portable device and as a portable device it is a worse package than the ka13 in my subjective opinion. The KA17 uses nearly twice the power for only 80mw more output this is a portable device, I don't want to carry around a USBc battery pack. Maybe you do and have huge clown pockets with asbestos lining. Cookie for you. I'll go back to ka13 thanks.
Don't worry so much! It's just an ordinary piece of hardware, but your health is the same and it's priceless! We have already understood that you absolutely do not like KA17 and this cannot be changed. For my part, I also do not consider KA17 to be a perfect product. I ordered it just for fun, if you don't like it, I'll send it back to the seller. But home use in the most powerful mode is just right for me, I'm not going to walk down the street with it. And I'm waiting for another product - an ultimate sound quality solution, a new DAC from E1DA 9039S with balanced connection. Inside the ES9039Q2M DAC, CT7601 bridge, 2*3000 UF power filters and opa1612+ad8397 composite power amplifier. The prototype is said to play divinely and it is unlikely that KA17 will be able to compete with it in accuracy and detail)) Yes, it will cost almost as much as KA17, it will not have a screen, it will only have one balanced 2.5 output and it does not have an application. And it scares me to think how you would scold him that he can't do anything for that kind of money.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #323 of 641
Don't worry so much! It's just an ordinary piece of hardware, but your health is the same and it's priceless! We have already understood that you absolutely do not like KA17 and this cannot be changed. For my part, I also do not consider KA17 to be a perfect product. I ordered it just for fun, if you don't like it, I'll send it back to the seller. But home use in the most powerful mode is just right for me, I'm not going to walk down the street with it. And I'm waiting for another product - an ultimate sound quality solution, a new DAC from E1DA 9039S with balanced connection. Inside the ES9039Q2M DAC, CT7601 bridge, 2*3000 UF power filters and opa1612+ad8397 composite power amplifier. The prototype is said to play divinely and it is unlikely that KA17 will be able to compete with it in accuracy and detail)) Yes, it will cost almost as much as KA17, it will not have a screen, it will only have one balanced 2.5 output and it does not have an application. And it scares me to think how you would scold him that he can't do anything for that kind of money.
Same here. Once they sort out the PEQ amplification issue I'll be happy with it and will consider it their flagship of its time.

This is all just demo playing really though coz the real dongle will be when they implement FPGA... Only then will we really see a game changer.

Other than the hardware button not being mapped for a skip/pause I'm pretty happy with the ka17. It's way above the ka03. Never gone above that in the range before but I've not experienced any disconnections or wild pops (I did with the ka03). Just the occasional bit of heat but that seems to be from me oversampling to pcm. Seems pcm puts a bit more stress on it.

Not needed the desktop mode as I'm using fiio fh3 iem's.

Could anyone here suggest some open back cans that would pair well with the ka17 please. I'd welcome some feedback. I've got a budget of around £200-300

All the best everyone

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #324 of 641
Could anyone here suggest some open back cans that would pair well with the ka17 please. I'd welcome some feedback. I've got a budget of around £200-300
I have the Sundara for 2 years now and I am happy with the headphones because they are analytic and the KA17 extends the treble more so they harmonize with each other.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #326 of 641
They are people that have as a religion the legendary 6series from Sennheiser. I belong to these people so there is nothing other to suggest really.

But you may find attractive this sound signature or you may not at all.

If you can stretch a bit more you can find a good offer on 660s2 and call it a day for many years.

The ka17 will drive them like there is no tomorrow.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #327 of 641
I did a test on sunday where i compared directly the ka17 with the desktop mode off and ka5.

The ka17 was still much better (even though i still enjoyed much my ka5) running not hot at all and consuming much less battery than before because was simply not in desktop mode.

Is like having a plug in electric car which is driving fine in electric mode but complaining that burns fuel and makes noise when we put it in full engine mode for getting full performance. And then again i need a small car to park in the city but this huge SUV does not park very at all.

The situation reminds me a bit the iphone 4 antennagate. Only competitors are happy to read this thread.

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #328 of 641
It's not even a controversy. It doesn't get blazing hot to the touch, just warm. Have you ever felt a Class A desktop amp when it's in operation? It's called "desktop mode" for a reason; it's not meant to be used in your pocket with your phone. Using the KA17 on desktop mode with my laptop hasn't presented any issues for me.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #330 of 641
@FiiO Can we have an option to start the device at a low initial volume or an option that lowers device volume when a jack is swapped. The KA17 is too powerful and can destroy iems (I destroyed my KZ crap buds for a giggle with it And have swapped iems to the volume being up to distortion levels) This addition will help avoid user error and prevent them from ruining their loved iems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back