[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #301 of 639
Didn't do anything with my Xperia IV, it just did its thing and switches between different sampling frequency with different apps / files instead of resampling to 48kHz like older Android. For example, now Spotify outputs 44.1kHz while YouTube outputs 48kHz, all on their own. The only exception is MQA playback, which requires MQA enabled app like UAPP. Otherwise it will still output as normal 44.1kHz.
So for example if you have a local mp3 file that's 320kbps, it will also show on the KA17 while playing 320kHz? Did I understand that right?

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #302 of 639
So for example if you have a local mp3 file that's 320kbps, it will also show on the KA17 while playing 320kHz? Did I understand that right?
No, you definitely didn't understand it correctly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Kbps is the encoding data rate of whatever file format you are using, It means kilo bit per second. In case of a 320kbps mp3, it means for every second of audio, it will generate / compress to 320 kilo bit worth of data in mp3 format. This mainly deals with how much digital data is compressed. A non-compressed stereo 16 bits 44.1kHz PCM data ( = red book CD) is around 1411kbps, as in 2 channels x 16 x 44100 = 1411200bps, or about 1411kbps.

Sampling rate is in kHz. It defines how fast the computer is sampling the analog audio in every second and converting it into digital data. A 320kHz sampling rate means in every second of analog audio, it is 'scanned' 320 times. The more times an analog audio is scanned / sampled in every second, theoretically the more accurate we can record and then recreate it audio wave form in digital format. From Nyquist theorem, we knows that the minimum sampling rate we need to perfectly recreate any frequency range is to at least double the sampling frequency range - and since human's hearing is mostly 20Hz to 22kHz (most adult is likely under 18kHz), so 44.1kHz is considered the minimum we need to cover the whole human hearing range and thus it is the golden standard we used these days.

Going back to your question - KA17 will displayed whatever the audio's sampling rate is, not its file format compression rate.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #304 of 639
Please look into the custom PEQ volume issue, the volume is noticeably reduced even without any adjustment..
Can I second this! I mentioned this earlier in the thread in my findings. PEQ is not using the the full potential of the amplified section. I'm currently using software PEQ in Uapp instead as fiio control PEQ is pretty useless

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #305 of 639
the cirrus logic isnt a bad chip per se, as it is used in many midtier dongles but companys often use 2 of them in a dual dac configuration these days. andysaudiovault tested many of them and as i said, there not generally bed, its also a question of how they are implented, the amp stage etc. Out of curiosity i really would like to do an A/B comparison with those little powerhouses. But still the KA17 is not available in Germany. Its like with every new Fiio product, Germany is the last country to get it, months after everyone already has the new products in hand. :sob:
Agree. I think to be honest until dongle manufacturers get in on the act chord have done with the mojo and it's trickle down FPGA chips there won't be that much to set them apart.

Once dongles manage to include programmable architecture like Chord have done there really will be flavours for all tastes! 😁

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #306 of 639
i am using uapp for years with many devices without any problems. so i wonder what went wrong with Macheses installation and device. i wanted to buy a ka17 myself and now i get a little afraid of running into problems with uapp. the only alternative android player that can do what uapp does is the hiby player, but i dont want to switch at all.
Don't rely too much on what I write, I'm a lazy person in the audio world, with the ka17 I used uapp for no reason while I listened to Deezer in streaming. I don't have a music library for uapp to play. The last time I used uapp was about 4 years ago with an Android 8 + tidal phone + a ztella micro dongle. I read somewhere that uapp doesn't have full support with android 14.
However I'm afraid to reinstall uapp as soon as I have some audio files I'll see what to do.
You are right to wait for a German retailer to distribute the product. The day after I ordered my ka17 from Bulgaria I found it on a distributor in my country

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #307 of 639
Android 14 update has enabled bit-perfect output on the firmware level.
Thank you. This is great piece of information, as i completely missed that.

I used to follow this stuff but after kids and everything i do not follow closely these developments.

My samsung A52s has android 14 but still resamples everything at 48k. Do you know or anyone else if i should something more to enable this behaviour?

Is this responsibility of samsung? Is anyone with a samsung in this thread that managed to play bit-perfect?

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #308 of 639
Anybody using UAPP currently.

Outside of bit perfect DSD and MAQ I'm really loving upscalling everything else through the app upscaled to 768khz PCM and feeding it to the KA17.

Its something I wasn't able to do with the Chord Mojo back in the day.

Something I have noticed is that it seems the dongle is really sensitive to ambient temps.

I ran it for over an hour on a bus commute early this morning - Its was freezing! I didn't notice the dongle get even close to warm.

Yesterday I chose the train - With heating! - It was more like a hand warmer in its leatherette jacket for a simular journey time.

Either its sensitive to ambient temps or it runs really warm decoding DSD tracks.

Mar 4, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #309 of 639
I wanted an app for a mobile phone to upscale / convert pcm to DSD with a streaming service (obviously tidal as apple music usually does not plays ball)

I have done this with Audirvana in the past and tidal but it needs a pc or a mac.

I thought after so many years it would have been implemented to phones as they are so powerful nowadays but after a quick internet search on the weekend it seems i could not find any new developments on this area.

I can upscale apple music to 192k through the apple music app on the android though with both my Samsung phones.

Mar 4, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #310 of 639
Thank you. This is great piece of information, as i completely missed that.

I used to follow this stuff but after kids and everything i do not follow closely these developments.

My samsung A52s has android 14 but still resamples everything at 48k. Do you know or anyone else if i should something more to enable this behaviour?

Is this responsibility of samsung? Is anyone with a samsung in this thread that managed to play bit-perfect?

You can't enable bit perfect on your end, as it has to be done by the smartphone manufacturer, as mentioned by Google before Android 14 release.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #311 of 639
where in the review did you read anything that confirms you claims?
In this very thread. The post I referenced showed the power consumption. The negative experience of disconnects, overheating, popping sounds, lack of hardware and app controls, large size and weight vs other fiio dongles, failure to detect etc are my own experience. I have owned ka5 and ka13 which I sold for the KA17. Unless you really need a joint desktop and portable solution, prefer the tiny difference in ess sound signature or desperately need the extra 80mw in power (which makes little practical difference) then there is no reason to get the KA17 over the ka13. The killer point is that power consumption almost doubles on the KA17 in desktop mode, but on ka13 the power consumption is the same on regular or desktop mode, and is almost half of ka17. As a portable device that's the deal breaker imo.

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #312 of 639
Please look into the custom PEQ volume issue, the volume is noticeably reduced even without any adjustment..
Dear friend,

Due to the concern of EQ data overflow, the attenuation is done in advance.
We already have a solution for this problem, and are working on it.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #313 of 639
Excellent post and confirms to me that the KA17 is a piece of crap and a titanic step back in every single aspect compared to both the ka13 and ka5 in every area except pure power output. That the ka13 has better hardware controls, app support and outputs only 80mw less at 60% of the power consumption, as well as being much lighter and smaller shows how bad this device is.
Dear friend,

The KA17 utilizes a different audio device and architecture. The complete audio architecture achieves the sound quality, but also brings an increase in power consumption. However, we have done a lot of efficiency optimization in our products, and the final heat generation is within the acceptable range for most users.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #314 of 639
Don't pay attention, a person just loves paper specifications and doesn't understand that there is a big difference in sound quality between CS43131 and ES9069Q chips
No matter how small and powerful the ka13 is, the sound from the CS43131 chip is not what I would like to listen to.
Thanks for ignoring all the other points I made. The much higher power consumption in D mode which is not good for a portable device, hot to the touch, constant disconnection issues. Lack of app support, random popping noises. Crashing after changing settings. Device not being recognised and needing to be deleted and readded, poor hardware controls, increased size and weight and cost, worse efficiency, and don't you realise your hypocracy. You are saying to ignore me on the basis of paper specifications. That's exactly what you are doing. Did you a/b test? And if so. Maybe you think the significantly worse usability and quality of life and bugs are worth it for a tiny if even detectable difference in sound quality. I don't. This is a portable device and as a portable device it is a worse package than the ka13 in my subjective opinion. The KA17 uses nearly twice the power for only 80mw more output this is a portable device, I don't want to carry around a USBc battery pack. Maybe you do and have huge clown pockets with asbestos lining. Cookie for you. I'll go back to ka13 thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #315 of 639
Dear friend,

The KA17 utilizes a different audio device and architecture. The complete audio architecture achieves the sound quality, but also brings an increase in power consumption. However, we have done a lot of efficiency optimization in our products, and the final heat generation is within the acceptable range for most users.

Best regards

I love to see a HOT piece of (aural) Sabre Equipment that suits most users well. A+! Very well done in the engineering of this world class Heat-machine!! Free cell phone hand warmers beat mitts on some of the chilliest and cold days if traveling. At the airport I'll wonder how people do without their own yeasty_KA17, like Olaf wonders how Snow gets by without its summer,
Uhh,
Cheerio! Thanks for the respectability of the KA17. Don't mind the haters thermo-sexual preference. The unit had to be good enough to earn and indeed carve a niche, and you made the right choices!! Much Moar Portable V-Swing, please and thanks from my ears and headphones

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-05 021017.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-05 021017.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-03-05 021334.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-05 021334.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back