[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #182 of 746
Questyle is different. What they do is current gain amplification - meaning they used the current signal as the main factors during the amplification process (as opposed to the more common voltage gain amplification). These are the different ways of how a circuit can make a signal larger / smaller, but then the circuit will always need to convert back to voltage signal at the end, then a buffer stage (or something similar) will add current to that voltage signal in order to actually have both components together driving the load (*headphone). The KA17 discussion we have before deals more with the latter, the combined voltage + current signal. Questyle on the other hand deals more on how the signal is increased / decreased before current is added. That's why even though Questyle called it current mode amplification, yet their USB dongles actually don't offer a lot of current driving power to the headphone i.e. M15 is 85mW @ 32 ohm, M12 is just under 50mW @ 32 ohm. In contrast, KA17 is 140mW @ 32 ohm in normal mode and 270mW @ 32 ohm in desktop mode.

I've recently also taken a look into the current capabilities of various amps. Your measurements are very helpful. If you look on the Serenade Head-Fi discussion, someone just measured it and showed it can only deliver about 250 mA, which is pathetic for something at that price. From just a calculation off the top of my head, I think the SMSL C200 can nearly double that.

A little while ago, I got the Cayin RU7. I'm not super impressed. The DAC portion is very resolving, especially in a spatial sense, but I think the amp section leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping that I could use it with the Ananda Nano in situations where I can't use my C200, and it's.... eh. Something about it is just tonally off with the Nano. It becomes thin, bass just lacks presence in general and the center image is weak. Connecting the HD 560s, which is 120 Ohms and needs far less current works much better for it. Which is why I was curious to ask if you've measured the RU7 and seen what current capabilities it has. I find this important also because a lot of Hifiman headphones are hovering around 16 Ohms recently and therefore will need more current compared to the 32-ish Ohm earlier Hifimans.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #184 of 746
Definitely this. Very very much wonder just the same, what the subjective comparative impression would amount to after, initial impressions and after time passed. Say 4 days to a week.

Anyone want to compare the sound to a dual ESS desktop ("PRO") DAC?

I do have a topping Dx7-Pro with a 9028 PRO and will be able tosharw a general idea, but I have no idea when the KA17 pre-order might be filled yet. The 9028 pro is very good.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #185 of 746
They have taken all the feedback previously given on board. The volume buttons in iphone does not work you can control volume only through the volume buttons of ka17 like the ibasso devices and just I wanted to be.

Iphone 12 pro max definetely needs the extra power to the second usb-c in order the desktop mode to work and maybe it needs it in any mode.

Now I need to borrow my wife's iphone 15 pro max to see what is happening there with the new usb c port and the bigger battery.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #186 of 746
... Which is why I was curious to ask if you've measured the RU7 and seen what current capabilities it has...

Don't think I measured RU7 current output before. I believe Cayin claims RU7 to be 160mW @ 32 ohms, though I never did see any 3rd party verification.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #187 of 746
I've recently also taken a look into the current capabilities of various amps. Your measurements are very helpful. If you look on the Serenade Head-Fi discussion, someone just measured it and showed it can only deliver about 250 mA, which is pathetic for something at that price. From just a calculation off the top of my head, I think the SMSL C200 can nearly double that.

A little while ago, I got the Cayin RU7. I'm not super impressed. The DAC portion is very resolving, especially in a spatial sense, but I think the amp section leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping that I could use it with the Ananda Nano in situations where I can't use my C200, and it's.... eh. Something about it is just tonally off with the Nano. It becomes thin, bass just lacks presence in general and the center image is weak. Connecting the HD 560s, which is 120 Ohms and needs far less current works much better for it. Which is why I was curious to ask if you've measured the RU7 and seen what current capabilities it has. I find this important also because a lot of Hifiman headphones are hovering around 16 Ohms recently and therefore will need more current compared to the 32-ish Ohm earlier Hifimans.
I have serenade . I dont know about the spec but to my ear everything i jack into it sound aamaaaazing. Even hard to drive headphone never pass 9'oclock in the volume adjustment(no gain option).

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #188 of 746
I've already send it back to my local store. Samsung has it's own music player app that I've been using for a long time and I really like it because it's simple to use. I also tried with pulsar music player and the issue was the same. Maybe I received a bad unit I don't know to be honest... I'll wait for KA15 personally.
I don't think a ka15 is coming. The ka17 was the ka5 replacement.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #189 of 746
20240211_093713.jpg
20240211_091733.jpg

Is working wonderfully with iphone pro max 15 in desktop mode with one cable.

It needs two cables with my iPhone 12 pro max in order to work.

I also attach a photo comparing teb sizes of the fiio dongles.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #190 of 746
This is because ka5 uses cirrus logic dac and ka17 uses ESS dac. These options are offered by the dac manufacturer and passed through the dongle manufacturer to the customer. There is no Nos filter to ka3 either for the same reason.
Do you think this may be why fiio chose to make the multifunction button into a mute/unmute instead of play/pause? I really hope not as if so I'm sending it back. I've only got another week to decide when it's out of the return window. At the moment I'm furious as reviews said it was a play button and the ONLY reason I returned the ka13 for it. Very annoyed. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #193 of 746
20240211_093713.jpg20240211_091733.jpg

Is working wonderfully with iphone pro max 15 in desktop mode with one cable.

It needs two cables with my iPhone 12 pro max in order to work.

I also attach a photo comparing teb sizes of the fiio dongles.
Does DSD works? And if yes, which Player do you use? I have the KA17 too but if I try to play DSD on my iPhone 15PM I am getting only noise with little music, on the IP13PM it works fine but only if I turn MQA mode on and then I can‘t control the volume on my IPhone.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #194 of 746
Do you think this may be why fiio chose to make the multifunction button into a mute/unmute instead of play/pause? I really hope not as if so I'm sending it back. I've only got another week to decide when it's out of the return window. At the moment I'm furious as reviews said it was a play button and the ONLY reason I returned the ka13 for it. Very annoyed. Thanks.
I suspect is the new XMOS chip that is responsible for that. The software is not ready maybe or did not thought this is a highly requested feature. I saw some reviews on the internet that have many mistakes about ka17 is like AI wrote them.

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #195 of 746
Does DSD works? And if yes, which Player do you use? I have the KA17 too but if I try to play DSD on my iPhone 15PM I am getting only noise with little music, on the IP13PM it works fine but only if I turn MQA mode on and then I can‘t control the volume on my IPhone.
I do not have dsd files unfortunately. I am using spotify and amazon music HD i will use apple music again. So mucic streaming services at the moment.

The iphone 15 pro max of my wife i just tested with some music from you tube and is working wonderfully in desktop mode.

From my iphone 12 pro max i have restarts and some messages in chineze on ka17 I do not understand. With an extra power source plays normally in desktop mode. I will try my ipad pro with the lightning cable to see what happens there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back