[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Feb 4, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #121 of 689
Dear friend,

After turning off the MQA function and selecting EQ, please try to adjust the volume of your iPhone to higher level to see whether the issue remains?

Best regards
Thank you for the support! Yes, all good now.

Once again, this product has surpassed my expectations. One of my fondest audio related purchases in quite some time! Well done to the Fiio team.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #125 of 689
What is a PD compatible power source? Thanks for replying.
PD stands for 'Power Delivery'. It is the most common charging standard used by almost all of the good Type C power supply and offer the best compatibility across different brands of Type C devices.

Is this a charger capable of fast speeds?
Yes, but there are others different fast charging standards as well, i.e. Qualcomm's QC standard, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #126 of 689
PD stands for 'Power Delivery'. It is the most common charging standard used by almost all of the good Type C power supply and offer the best compatibility across different brands of Type C devices.
Are we referring to type C chargers such as those offered by Anker?

Yes, but there are others different fast charging standards as well, i.e. Qualcomm's QC standard, etc.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #127 of 689
IAre we referring to type C chargers such as those offered by Anker?

Anker should do. I have both their wall adapter as well as powerbank, all work fine with KA17. As long as you are avoiding all the overly cheap brands, you will be fine.

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #129 of 689
Hi guys, I currently have the KA5. And was really interested in the KA17. I'm currently deciding between the KA17 or the RU7.
Can anyone who have both of them maybe comment on which they think sounds better?
If we say use the KA17 in Desktop mode without an external power source plugged in, any idea how much more or how much faster it'll drain my phone's battery compared to the KA5? Overall I find the battery drain of the KA5 quite good.
Also anyone try to use the KA17 in desktop mode with the switch without an external power source?
Thanks guys.

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #130 of 689
Hi guys, I currently have the KA5. And was really interested in the KA17. I'm currently deciding between the KA17 or the RU7.
Can anyone who have both of them maybe comment on which they think sounds better?
If we say use the KA17 in Desktop mode without an external power source plugged in, any idea how much more or how much faster it'll drain my phone's battery compared to the KA5? Overall I find the battery drain of the KA5 quite good.
Also anyone try to use the KA17 in desktop mode with the switch without an external power source?
Thanks guys.

I bought both the KA17 and RU7.

KA17 has better value, as not only is it cheaper, but it has more power (650 mW) on desktop mode, and has an App to adjust PEQ etc. So from a versatility point of view, the KA17 is unbeatable. KA17 can drive demanding gear that the RU7 cannot.

KA17 gets hotter on desktop mode (understandably due to the power drain), and it is a more technical dongle, with better soundstage and micro-detailing. Without PEQ, the KA17 is neutralish, whereas the RU7 is a warmer and analoguish sounding dongle.

The KA17 can be triggered into desktop mode without an external power source, if u connect something that generates 1A or so output, but that would likely drain battery quite fast, so YMMV.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #133 of 689
So I just got my KA17 from China to the UK, and extremely surprised that the multifunction button does not function as a "play/pause" button. Instead (apart from the other functions) it functions as a "mute/unmute" function. This is ABSURD! The music player continues to play in the background but the sound is muted. This has no practical functionality at all. FIIO if you're reading this please consider somehow adding play/pause - like the KA5, or allow the option to choose between mute/unmute (which nobody has any use for at all) and play/pause.

Also the volume controls don't seem to double as skip track buttons either.

Also the FIIO control app doesn't allow access to any settings like the ka13 and ka5, instead it only shows EQ settings.
It is also bugged so that you can't log into the control app at all as it demands that you open the EQ menu on the device first, and if you don't it won't let you access the app.

Also playing music after changing gain from low to high gave an extremely loud and uncomfortable static "pop" noise on my shp9500. It wasn't hearing damaging, but it was very disconcerting.

It's kind of broken at the moment. It seems like the app and user experience/button controls are worse in every way than the KA5, in addition to being larger, heavier, and probably using more power. Looking at official fiio online instructions, the multifunction button doesn't seem to even have an option to work as play/pause, or the volume buttons to skip tracks, which even the KA13 has.

It needs a firmware and app update,

edit: uninstalling and reinstalling Fiio control app has no changes - no options available for changing settings, only EQ, however it didn't insist that I open the EQ menu in the device before allowing me into the app. I am on firmware 0.84

edit 2: Another problem now. Saying "connection failed, please make sure this device is not APP controlled by any other phones. Or you may try restarting the device and connect again." It disconnected when I opened the amazon app, and won't restart even when I unplug and replug again. Getting annoyed now! Had to delete device and redetect to make it come back.

edit 3: another problem. periodically will not output sound from dongle when it's plugged in - randomly disconnects, when says it's connected. exiting the fiio control app and going back in shows its disconnected, and same problem as above shows.

edit 4: it just did another random static "pop" for no reason, wasn't even playing any music or doing anything.

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #134 of 689
20240207_210151.jpg

The unit just arrived today thank you so much @FiiO for this opportunity.

I will start testing and write my review as soon as possible. I will test with samsung note plus 10, samsung a52s, iphone 12 pro max and iphone 15 pro max to see if the desktop mode will be activated. Also with ipad.

I have such a high excpectations for this unit as i see many of my past wishes/recommendations for a dongle are implemented here.

I have also ka2, ka3, ka5 among other dongles so i will do a proper comparison.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #135 of 689
20240207_210151.jpg
The unit just arrived today thank you so much @FiiO for this opportunity.

I will start testing and write my review as soon as possible. I will test with samsung note plus 10, samsung a52s, iphone 12 pro max and iphone 15 pro max to see if the desktop mode will be activated. Also with ipad.

I have such a high excpectations for this unit as i see many of past wishes/recommendations for a dongle implemented here.

I have also ka2, ka3, ka5 among other dongles so i will do a proper comparison.
Can you see what firmware you have u the device menu, and if you can actually get the fiio control app to work to control any settings or only eq? As far as I'm concerned it's in a partly broken state with no proper app support, no play/pause button, and numerous bugs I found as per my post. Way way behind the ka5 that I already returned for this :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back