[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Jan 29, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #91 of 746
1000011044.jpg

Here are some number for those who like to see some actual measurements of power-draw / output power. It is a bit tedious so I only measured the 3.5mm single-ended output, 47ohm dummy load with matched output to 0.095V (or otherwise vol 30/60 in normal mode and 27/30 in desktop mode). Note that my Sony Xperia, as mentioned previously, doesn't limit its Type-C power so it can, without external power, power the KA17's desktop mode. This is why you don't see any major difference between the results, with or without external power (which is a USB wall adapter that supports PD / QC / various power profiles).

Without External Power
SE: 5.18V 0.21A = 1.1W (Vol30)
Output: 0.095V 12.7mA = 1.21mW
SE(D): 5.18V 0.30A = 1.5W (Vol27)
Output: 0.095V 12.9mA = 1.23mW

*The first line is the power draw, and the second line is the 3.5mm output power. The next two lines are the same but in desktop mode.

With External Power
SE: 5.19V 0.03A = 0.16W | 4.95V 0.18A = 0.89W (Vol30)
SE(D): 5.19V 0.03A = 0.16W | 4.94V 0.28A = 1.38W (Vol27)

*The first line is the smartphone's power draw + the external USB power draw, and the second line is the 3.5mm output power. The next two lines are the same but in desktop mode.

As you can see, there is a small difference between normal vs. desktop mode. It might not be as big as one might think but my guess is because my Sony Xperia just doesn't care much about limiting power so KA17 is fairly well-powered either way, thus the difference isn't as noticeable. But there is however a noticeable listening difference for me personally, desktop mode provides just a little sharper image, tightness, and control even when volume matched.
Are those numbers correct? Using my iPhone and B&W P7 headphones set at comfortable listening volume I got around 700mW draw for the iBasso Elite, which is the most power-hungry dongle I’ve tested. But your measurements put the KA17 as even higher?

I thought the Elite’s draw was so high it kind of made it unusable as a portable solution for me, so if KA17 is higher I’ll have to pass :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #92 of 746
Are those numbers correct? Using my iPhone and B&W P7 headphones set at comfortable listening volume I got around 700mW draw for the iBasso Elite, which is the most power-hungry dongle I’ve tested. But your measurements put the KA17 as even higher?

I thought the Elite’s draw was so high it kind of made it unusable as a portable solution for me, so if KA17 is higher I’ll have to pass :frowning2:
I double checked, those number are indeed correct. Plus, my measurements on DC-Elite on similar test condition puts its power draw around 800mW, as mentioned. Again, those number reflect as much about KA17's power draw as they are about how much power the smartphone in question allows itself to supply, so it is not strictly an one-sided affair. Still, I think the safe conclusion is that FiiO is aiming for maximum possible performance over an USB dongle rather than trying to balance performance over battery life - the latter will be KA5, not KA17.

On a side note, I do agree iPhone and high power dongle just don't mix well, probably as intended by Apple.

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #93 of 746
Well, I was interested in this and almost bought it. Being a iPhone user I will stick with the ka13 since I have no issues with power draw.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #94 of 746
I am very pleased, happy with the high power draw, for sure, as soon as it exceeds the galaxy 20 Ultra .5w usb spec I say more, cleaner class B HP-juices for HD 800 is well, that much-More Better. The goalzero ac100 will happily do this [for years if necessary, and sarcastically while doing it]

Very grateful people have established the draws.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #95 of 746
1000011341.jpg

KA17 powered by Anker Nano Power Bank Type-C, driving MoonDrop Para (planar, 8 ohm). Not a bad combination for some really serious performance on-the-go.

1000011342.jpg

Jan 31, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #96 of 746
I wonder how much a difference I would hear with these against my K9 Pro since they're both using THX tech. I have the KA13 and the K9 is noticeably cleaner, more control, and blacker.

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #98 of 746
How long are you able to run the KA17 with the nano before the power bank runs out?
I just got it last evening so I haven't ran it down yet., but we can make an educated guess.

Given the battery is rated at 2600mAH @ 5V, and we have a power draw of about 300mA, we can calculate the theoretical runtime will be 2600mAH / 300mA = 8.67H. Since it is unlikely the runtime will be in ideal condition, I'll say more realistically it will be around the 7~8 hrs range probably, especially if you don't want to run down / deep-cycle the battery every time. Noted, this is just the number for MoonDrop Para, which is an 8-ohms planar that sucks up a lot of current, besides that I am driving it on desktop mode + balanced out. I'll imagine a more efficient headphone will give a longer runtime on this setup. For example, using my previous power draw test condition, the theoretical runtime is 14+ hrs on 3.5mm and 9+ hrs on 4.4mm. So it depends on how your setup will be, but it should be safe to assume 7+ hrs is easily achievable.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #99 of 746
Got my KA17 today, loving it! It is a big step up in sound quality compared to the KA13 for sure.

But got a question..
I noticed that the custom user EQ profiles reduce the volume even if EQ pre-gain slider is set to 0 and even if there are no adjustments made to the profile.
So switching EQ on automatically cuts some volume, no matter what. It's quite a lot of volume, and makes it hard to test the impact of a certain eq profile switching it on and off.
Could someone from Fiio please advise whats going on there?

Also, is there any new firmware available for it? And which driver should i use for windows?
Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #100 of 746
Got my KA17 today, loving it! It is a big step up in sound quality compared to the KA13 for sure.

But got a question..
I noticed that the custom user EQ profiles reduce the volume even if EQ pre-gain slider is set to 0 and even if there are no adjustments made to the profile.
So switching EQ on automatically cuts some volume, no matter what. It's quite a lot of volume, and makes it hard to test the impact of a certain eq profile switching it on and off.
Could someone from Fiio please advise whats going on there?

Also, is there any new firmware available for it? And which driver should i use for windows?
Thanks
Nah, suck it up pal. That's the feature of it. In order to, let's say, in crease the bass shelf by 10db, you'd have to have a -10db preamp. Why? Essentially you "damp" the whole dynamic range by 10db, so when you raise 10db, it's essentially damp the bass less, so as a whole, the bass was boosted. That is my understanding of it. In theory, the only way you can mitigate this is to apply the gain even with out active eq beforehand

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #101 of 746
Nah, suck it up pal. That's the feature of it. In order to, let's say, in crease the bass shelf by 10db, you'd have to have a -10db preamp. Why? Essentially you "damp" the whole dynamic range by 10db, so when you raise 10db, it's essentially damp the bass less, so as a whole, the bass was boosted. That is my understanding of it. In theory, the only way you can mitigate this is to apply the gain even with out active eq beforehand
I understand, the thing is they offer a preamp gain adjust on the EQ page to do just that per profile. Say you apply a 5db boost somewhere, then just set the pre-amp gain to -5.1. Yet they seem to add one on top anyway? Whats the point of having the option to do it yourself if its not necessary in the first place. Your just unnecessarily losing headroom.
They could just do it automatically and cut the highest gain, yet they aren't doing that either, because its applying a pretty big cut even with eq set to 0 across the board.
Seems like this is something firmware could resolve, unless i'm missing something.

Plus, with the EQ i want to do, i only want to cut, so i shouldnt need any preamp cut in place. So do i have to turn up the pre-amp gain, just to offset the built in cut, to do my cut without headroom loss? Sounds convoluted..

One other thing i've noticed on my first run with this device is that its not reliably updating the displayed sampling rate between tracks. I was using Tidal on my Pixel 6 pro at least, and it didn't seem to be consistently showing the changes from track to track as Tidal was indicating in the app. 48khz to 96khz to MQA and what not. Yet if i turn the device on, load the app and go straight into a song it seems to show it correctly first time at least.

One last note, is that unfortunately it doesn't support different type of EQ adjustment, for example you cannot do a shelf. Peaks only, but fully adjustable (frequency, q, gain). So no big deal but still.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #103 of 746
Just got mine today. Really want to get away from the cobalt as my only wired dongle....

I can enable desktop mode when I dont have an external power source. Does this mean it will just pull from the phone and will power the desktop mode from my phone?

Also, using the Tidal app on iOS when an MQA track is played at 88.2 sample rate the audio cuts in and out and just does not work. Any ideas as to why that may be? Has anyone else noticed this or had this issue?

Edit: Issue seems to be consistent with any MQA track via Tidal app and Roon app on iOS it just wont play. It plays 2 seconds freezes for 5 and then plays the next two seconds. When I connect the dongle to my M11 Plus, no issues with MQA in Tidal app.

Edit 2: settinng UAC to 1 seems to make it play but not sure… is MQA supported in UAC1? ( I don’t care for MQA but would be nice if it worked). Turning off MQA and keeping it on UAC 2 seems to work with no issues other than no MQA but better this than having tacks mess up.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #104 of 746
I understand, the thing is they offer a preamp gain adjust on the EQ page to do just that per profile. Say you apply a 5db boost somewhere, then just set the pre-amp gain to -5.1. Yet they seem to add one on top anyway? Whats the point of having the option to do it yourself if its not necessary in the first place. Your just unnecessarily losing headroom.
They could just do it automatically and cut the highest gain, yet they aren't doing that either, because its applying a pretty big cut even with eq set to 0 across the board.
Seems like this is something firmware could resolve, unless i'm missing something.

Plus, with the EQ i want to do, i only want to cut, so i shouldnt need any preamp cut in place. So do i have to turn up the pre-amp gain, just to offset the built in cut, to do my cut without headroom loss? Sounds convoluted..

One other thing i've noticed on my first run with this device is that its not reliably updating the displayed sampling rate between tracks. I was using Tidal on my Pixel 6 pro at least, and it didn't seem to be consistently showing the changes from track to track as Tidal was indicating in the app. 48khz to 96khz to MQA and what not. Yet if i turn the device on, load the app and go straight into a song it seems to show it correctly first time at least.

One last note, is that unfortunately it doesn't support different type of EQ adjustment, for example you cannot do a shelf. Peaks only, but fully adjustable (frequency, q, gain). So no big deal but still.
I agree, would be nice to see those things addressed. Hi/Low Shelf + Peaking Filter type selection if using PEQ @FiiO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back