FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #1,037 of 2,219
Jan 18, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #1,038 of 2,219
I thought the AKM version was the top of the line! However, in that link:

"The FiiO desktop decoding amp K9 Pro ESS is an upgraded version based on the K9 Pro. Whether it is to improve the performance of the headset or to meet the needs of multi-purpose, it can make the experience further.

Newly equipped with two more powerful ES9038PRO DAC chips, each DAC is configured in mono mode, 4 channels are connected in parallel, and the performance is better; the LDO power supply with high current and low noise of Ti is used to ensure good dynamics and distortion, and the power supply is more secure. .

In terms of appearance, the upgraded metal PVD process gold knob is more integrated with the golden elements of the fuselage, showing the new momentum of the flagship."

Also, we had to pay the shipment cost for the vertical stand and here it is integrated in the box. So it's not an AKM exclusive, it's just because the ESS version is already provided with a stand.

#What

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,039 of 2,219
Newly equipped with two more powerful ES9038PRO DAC chips, each DAC is configured in mono mode, 4 channels are connected in parallel, and the performance is better; the LDO power supply with high current and low noise of Ti is used to ensure good dynamics and distortion, and the power supply is more secure.

All marketing fluff.
K9 Pro has not been measured yet but given FiiO's track record and the measurements of the pre-production model I seriously doubt it will have objectively better performance than the Topping D90SE which is a single ES9038Pro DAC. Throwing in more DAC chips doesn't make it magically better.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,040 of 2,219
Are you able to connect and reproduce music usign BT and a smartphone? Or do you have this issue only using a computer?
only with computer (win 7 and win 11). with android smartphone it works meanwhile (I had to switch the output to dac and back to hp, but computer doesn't see the k9 at all (win 11) or it sees it but has no driver (win 7). Firmware I have Beta B18. I had Beta 15 before but same behaviour.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,043 of 2,219
All marketing fluff.
K9 Pro has not been measured yet but given FiiO's track record and the measurements of the pre-production model I seriously doubt it will have objectively better performance than the Topping D90SE which is a single ES9038Pro DAC. Throwing in more DAC chips doesn't make it magically better.
I don't know about the D90SE, I'm talking against the AKM version.
1642546997762.png

This is one of their sheets and as you can see it seems, from their internal measurements, that the ESS version is (slightly) better.
It has one more filter, slightly more power output and better snr/distortion.
only with computer (win 7 and win 11). with android smartphone it works meanwhile (I had to switch the output to dac and back to hp, but computer doesn't see the k9 at all (win 11) or it sees it but has no driver (win 7). Firmware I have Beta B18. I had Beta 15 before but same behaviour.
"Lucky" you. I am unable to use BT both on smartphone and on PC. BT firmware version 1.1 and firmware 1.13.

FiiO has also posted before that the ESS version will sell for $999.99. Wonder if that is still true?
CNY 4499 for AKM
CNY 4999 for ESS

So maybe it's more likely to be 699 $/€ for AKM and 799 $/€ for ESS

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,044 of 2,219
Honestly I dont want what they did with D90SE with its soft and smooth sound.

Looking forward to the ESS version and hopfully they are able to immitate the AKM version as close as possible.. Then again I dont mind if they went the gustard route and made the sound thin and dynamic. But still I think the current K9 pro has a extremely good balance between detail, body and musicality so it would be sad to see the sound change.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #1,045 of 2,219
Question, does anyone remember what filter the K9 comes in by default? I don't remember, if anyone knows, I'd really appreciate it.

Pregunta alguno recuerda que filtro trae el k9 por defecto? yo no lo recuerdo, de antemano muchas gracias

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220113-034108~10.png
    Screenshot_20220113-034108~10.png
    470.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #1,046 of 2,219
Question, does anyone remember what filter the K9 comes in by default? I don't remember, if anyone knows, I'd really appreciate it.

Pregunta alguno recuerda que filtro trae el k9 por defecto? yo no lo recuerdo, de antemano muchas gracias
It came short dispersion short delay by default for me.

Personally I'm running super slow filter atm, sounds the most natural imo.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #1,047 of 2,219
It became fun!
1) This AKM digital filter is suitable for all: Low Dispersion Short Delay Filter: neutral sounds, positioned near the middle. It is a traditional filter that can match different music styles. If you have no idea about the filter, you can choose this one.
2) The power consumption of one ESS chip is ~ 50% less than that of AKM. It heats up less. But there will be two of them.
3) 7 digital ESS filters. And not 6, like AKM.
4) The sound of the ESS is "brighter" than that of the "neutral" AKM. The sound detail in all versions is excellent.
5) The parameters are about the same. Medium op-amps and noise from the BT module will average everyone?
6) I hope that the problems of the previous version will be taken into account....

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #1,048 of 2,219
I don't know about the D90SE, I'm talking against the AKM version.
1642546997762.png

This is one of their sheets and as you can see it seems, from their internal measurements, that the ESS version is (slightly) better.
It has one more filter, slightly more power output and better snr/distortion.

"Lucky" you. I am unable to use BT both on smartphone and on PC. BT firmware version 1.1 and firmware 1.13.

CNY 4499 for AKM
CNY 4999 for ESS

So maybe it's more likely to be 699 $/€ for AKM and 799 $/€ for ESS
The price for AK version was - 770usd
so for ESS looks like will be 850-900

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #1,050 of 2,219
The story of Dual 9038Pro value-for-money all-in-one DAC/Amp FiiO K9 Pro--From JamesFiiO

Chapter 1 K9 | K9 Pro AKM | K9 Pro ESS Summary

Although I have introduced the K9 Pro ESS version, I would like to give more details since some users may feel confused about the K9 series.
The K9 and K9 Pro are two products with different positioning, but according to our naming convention, you can guess that the appearances and functions of the K9 and K9 Pro are basically the same.
By the way, the K9 using dual ES9068AS DAC chips will have a more competitive price. Budget users can consider pulling a trigger.
While the K9 Pro AKM and ESS versions were accidents. It was because of the AKM fire, we only had 2000 pieces of AK4499 chips available. As a consequence, we made 3 decisions.
1. Since the sales of the music player should be greater, the M17 originally planned to use the AK4499 gave concessions to using the ES9038PRO.
2. Due to the small quantity of the DAC chip, if each K9 Pro used 2 DACs as the original plan, there would be fewer final products. That is why we decided to equip the K9 Pro with just a single chip.
3. The K9 Pro will be evolved into two sub-models, namely the K9 Pro AKM with 1 AK4499 DAC, and the K9 Pro ESS with 2 ES9038Pro DACs.
Therefore, in our product series, the K9 and K9 Pro are positioned differently. Of course, the K9 Pro is much stronger, while the K9 Pro AKM and ESS versions are of the same level. The core difference is actually the model of the DAC as well as its quantity equipped in the device.
So which one of the two versions of the K9 Pro is stronger and better? To be honest, although there are some differences in the audio parameters between the two versions, the K9 Pro ESS would be a notch above the K9 Pro AKM due to the use of dual DACs. But in terms of sound performance, the main difference comes from the sound style differences between AKM and ESS companies. AKM's is more musical, while ESS's has higher quality. The two can be said to be rivals, so it would be hard to say who’s the winner.
If we put aside the sound differences of the two versions, I personally think the K9 Pro AKM4499 version is a better choice (the appearance difference is to distinguish them, where the volume knob is PVD processed, but not made of genuine gold).
The first reason is that the K9 Pro AKM is cheaper. In fact, since the AK4499 is already an out of print chip, it is reasonable for us to price the AKM version the same as that of the ESS version. However, we think it is not so friendly to our users in this way.
The second reason is that the AK4499 chip has been discontinued. So the AKM version of the K9 Pro is limited. There are only about 500 units available in China. When a thing is rare, it becomes precious. Therefore, the value of the K9 Pro AKM version will be longer maintained compared to the ESS version.
So, which version of the K9 Pro do you prefer?

272116954_4765139703594061_6450640684250480733_n.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back