FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Feb 17, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #2,191 of 2,223
4-pin XLR (or dual 3-pin XLR) is the “gold standard” for professional (analog) applications. It also does the best at keeping each wire separate at all times. However, it is bulky.

The 4.4mm “Pentaconn” connector is smaller and nicer for consumer use. Its only downside, really, is that when plugging or unplugging it from a socket, the wrong connections may (briefly) come into contact. It’s best not to plug or unplug it while the socket is active. The same potential problem exists for all Tip/Ring/Sleeve designs though, not just 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced.
It is impossible for the 4.4mm Pentaconn to short unless the socket is damaged. Look at the pin out and you will see the obvious design.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #2,194 of 2,223
Does it make sense to change the usb cable from the set with Fiio k9 pro (AKM) to the one sold on the website fiio
Replacing the USB cable is a delicate issue, but I usually change the USB cable from the kit to a more advanced one.
Quite often it improves the sound.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #2,195 of 2,223
Hi guys
Today got my K9 pro ess (new).

The first impression is terrible.. My wife said that they play worse than my old dongle.. I can’t believe it. Maybe I need to warm it up a little?

Source - android hiby app via usb with exclusive mode.
HP - Arya Stealth

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #2,196 of 2,223
Source - android hiby app via usb with exclusive mode.
HP - Arya Stealth
With all due respect to Fiio K9 Pro, this device is completely insufficient for Arya.
Arya is almost the top one, they need a very good advanced source.

If you are using Arya with Fiio, the low frequencies are noticeably easier than they should be. And in general, the lack of a level is strongly audible.

To be fair, I VERY much doubt that you were able to get a good sound with Arya with any dongle.

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #2,197 of 2,223
With all due respect to Fiio K9 Pro, this device is completely insufficient for Arya.
Did you try this pair?

imho k9pro more than enough for them.
I am using k9pro with kennerton Rognir - sound is great.
I tried: Questyle cma15, violectric 380 - sound was different, yes, but I can't say that it was "better" than k9pro.

The first impression is terrible..
What exactly?

the only guess - something with android/hiby app/usb cable.
try Tidal app it could 100% play correctly with k9pro
or PC with asio drivers.

P.S. in case of android the only source that is supposed to be used, imho Fiio Q7 will be much more convenient.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #2,198 of 2,223
Arya is almost the top one, they need a very good advanced source.

If you are using Arya with Fiio, the low frequencies are noticeably easier than they should be. And in general, the lack of a level is strongly audible.

To be fair, I VERY much doubt that you were able to get a good sound with Arya with any dongle.
I connected Arya to L&P W2 and mojo2.
Both sounds better than K9 pro ess.

Maybe something with my K9..

Attachments

• IMG_5020.jpeg
    IMG_5020.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4982.jpeg
    IMG_4982.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #2,199 of 2,223
imho k9pro more than enough for them.
I am using k9pro with kennerton Rognir - sound is great.
In my experience, Fiio K9 Pro does a great job with headphones up to and including the Dan Clark AEON2 Noir level.

But K9 Pro can not cope with more advanced planars.
With Fiio K9 Pro HFM Arya, Kennerton Thekk, DC Ether С Flow don't give the sound they are capable of.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #2,201 of 2,223
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #2,202 of 2,223
because in the Arya topic, the owners recommended the k9 pro ess as an excellent device that perfectly reveals Arya
This is a clear mistake. Arya does not sound at full strength with K9 Pro.
Especially at low frequencies.

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #2,203 of 2,223
It’s strange, because in the Arya topic, the owners recommended the k9 pro ess as an excellent device that perfectly reveals Arya
They are right imo that it reveals Arya but if it isnt the sound you want there isnt much point in keeping it since its going to be thin transparent and revealing. In the end its a matter of taste.

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #2,204 of 2,223
Have just set up a new K9 Pro ESS.
The legends etched on the front panel are much easier to read - brighter etched.
Case temperature stabilised at 32 C after 4 hours run.
Using with Senn HD800S. Balanced connection.
Listening to classical orchestral and solo piano and string quartet.
Delightful sound. Qobuz via Roon via USB MacMini.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #2,205 of 2,223
Guys, hi.
I'm still confused why my K9 PRO ESS sounds with my Arya V3 Stealth, AKxEE Odyssey, CA Solaris 2020, etc. pretty MEDIOCRE. Connection is only 4.4 balanced.
No, I definitely don’t have any technical problems or defects. Just the sound from k9 pro is at the level of pocket dongles for $200-300. But this shouldn’t be the case; the difference should be noticeable by ear. I'm using a phone and a type c input, maybe this is the problem?

The output mode is bitperfect, I'm sure of it, because during MQA output the ring glows purple.

Any ideas? Should I try playing with filters on K9, or will they not change the picture either?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back