FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Nov 24, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #1,321 of 1,433
Well, I just got my K7BT. Really impressed with how it brings my HD6XX to life. Really adds a solid thump in the bass without being muddy and brings out clarity/imaging I never heard before.

Quick question - when I change the sample rate of my audio in Windows above 48k it seems to "upsample" all of my music on the K7. For example, if I set my sample rate to 96k, even if I play Spotify which is below 48k quality, the light on the K7 is yellow and not blue. Any tips on how to make it auto adjust back and forth depending on the quality of the input?

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,322 of 1,433
Quick question - when I change the sample rate of my audio in Windows above 48k it seems to "upsample" all of my music on the K7. For example, if I set my sample rate to 96k, even if I play Spotify which is below 48k quality, the light on the K7 is yellow and not blue. Any tips on how to make it auto adjust back and forth depending on the quality of the input?
First, you need a player for local files able to do so, like foobar2000, or a streaming service player that does the same, like Qobuz. Second, inside the player you have to select an audio protocol which has access to the external DAC bypassing the Windows sound resampler and mixer, like WASAPI in exclusive mode or ASIO (this one only available if the DAC driver implements it). For instance, I use Foobar2000 and Qobuz thru ASIO protocol and USB connection to my K5 Pro and the knob light happily changes between blue and yellow when playing PCM tracks up to 48K (blue) or more (yellow)

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,323 of 1,433
Does the K7 remember the last input selection on power up? I saw on an external review as well as a post in this thread that it defaults to USB, but someone else replied saying that their unit defaults to coax? Could this be due to whether a USB cable is connected?

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,324 of 1,433
First, you need a player for local files able to do so, like foobar2000, or a streaming service player that does the same, like Qobuz. Second, inside the player you have to select an audio protocol which has access to the external DAC bypassing the Windows sound resampler and mixer, like WASAPI in exclusive mode or ASIO (this one only available if the DAC driver implements it). For instance, I use Foobar2000 and Qobuz thru ASIO protocol and USB connection to my K5 Pro and the knob light happily changes between blue and yellow when playing PCM tracks up to 48K (blue) or more (yellow)
Thanks! Yes, that worked :).

One additional question - to utilize the balanced output on the K7, must I have a balanced cable to my headphones? Is it bad for the headphones if I plug the stock unbalanced cables (with 4.4mm adapter) into the balanced output?

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,325 of 1,433
Thanks! Yes, that worked :).

One additional question - to utilize the balanced output on the K7, must I have a balanced cable to my headphones? Is it bad for the headphones if I plug the stock unbalanced cables (with 4.4mm adapter) into the balanced output?
It’s bad for the amplifier, never connect a balanced amplifier to a headphone with a cable that has a 3 contacts plug like the popular 6,35 mm. one, because it will be shorting two active signals from the amplifier. A balanced amplifier needs a 4 wire cable and a 4 contacts plug, like the 4,4 Pentaconn or XLR.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #1,326 of 1,433
Just
It’s bad for the amplifier, never connect a balanced amplifier to a headphone with a cable that has a 3 contacts plug like the popular 6,35 mm. one, because it will be shorting two active signals from the amplifier. A
Thanks. Just to be clear, I am currently plugged into the 6.35mm plug using the adapter that came with the K7 and the stock HD6xx cables. I do have a 4.4mm adapter that came with the headphones, but I do not have balanced cables for my headphones. Are balanced cables required?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,327 of 1,433
Hey, I have the volume issue with my K7. Has anyone gotten Fiio support to respond? I emailed a couple of weeks ago and nothing so far. I just want whatever firmware update that is available or return it for one where I don't have to turn it up to 75% just to hear.

@FiiO

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,329 of 1,433
Hey, I have the volume issue with my K7. Has anyone gotten Fiio support to respond? I emailed a couple of weeks ago and nothing so far. I just want whatever firmware update that is available or return it for one where I don't have to turn it up to 75% just to hear.

@FiiO
Sounds normal to me. Thats about where my volume stays, and I control it via whatever app i am using. Depending on source, mine is always between 1200 & 1400. Rarely do I use the volume knob.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #1,330 of 1,433

@FiiO
Dear friend,

There may be too many emails and your emails are being flooded.
The K7's knob volume increase is not linear. It rises slowly in the first half and then increases rapidly in the second half. This is the way the design works, so that the volume in the front section can be precise enough so that the user can select the appropriate volume. If the volume is very loud from the beginning, it is suitable for large headphones, but not for small headphones.
K7 firmware link (please note that K7 and K7 BT firmware are different): https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202304271057530523576&tid=77

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 30, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #1,331 of 1,433
24bit 384000hz as this is what the DAC is capable of. It sounds great though. Maybe the setting is constantly set to this rate.
If i put it in exclusive mode it changes color and in non exclusive mode it also stays yellow...and don't know why but in exclusive it does change color.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #1,332 of 1,433
Hi Friends @FiiO

I need help with USB DAC driver software for my K7. I am running Windows 11 Pro on a Virtual Machine (Parallels) on my Mac Mini M1 (silicon). This shows up on Parallels as Windows 11 ARM virtual machine.

I am keen to use the K7 as a DAC for this windows - but when I try to install the lastest USB DAC driver, the application aborts saying unsupported system. Is there any way that I can get a version supported on this platform? It would be great.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #1,333 of 1,433
Anyone else owe their Fiio PL50 unit damaged out of nowhere?
I saw reports in other groups that the PL50 stopped working out of nowhere, I wanted to know what the real problem was and its solution, I'm thinking about getting another unit soon for my K7.

Dec 3, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,334 of 1,433
@FiiO and others, I am very pleased with the Fiio K7 on all levels (aesthetics, sound and synergy with my headphones), but I keep having a small problem with Tidal (only happens with this program). When a high resolution song ends (yellow led) and a CD quality song starts next (cyan) there is a jump of several seconds (10 or so). This does not happen if I select the song, it only happens when a high resolution song ends and a standard resolution song starts.

Can anyone check if this is a common problem with Tidal? With other dacs I have it doesn't happen.

When I'm listening to a mix of songs of different resolutions, then I switch from exclusive mode to shared mode to avoid this problem (also the LED doesn't change since the resolution is controlled by Windows). It's not a big problem, but I'd rather not have it.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,335 of 1,433
Hi Friends @FiiO

I need help with USB DAC driver software for my K7. I am running Windows 11 Pro on a Virtual Machine (Parallels) on my Mac Mini M1 (silicon). This shows up on Parallels as Windows 11 ARM virtual machine.

I am keen to use the K7 as a DAC for this windows - but when I try to install the lastest USB DAC driver, the application aborts saying unsupported system. Is there any way that I can get a version supported on this platform? It would be great.

Thanks
Dear friend,

K7 works with MAC computers and does not require driver installation. For use with Windows computers, drivers need to be installed. However, we have not tested installing a Windows virtual machine on a MAC computer.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back