FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Mar 1, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #917 of 1,435
Almost bought one of these on impulse, but the volume issues gave me enough pause to prevent that, hahaha. If we can't easily update firmware like it's no longer 1999, then I'll be holding off til an update K7, with hopefully no such issues, is released and vetted by the community.
I recalled iPhone 4 had this Antennagate during 2010 and also cannot update the firmware OTA, Fiio already updated the firmware after the incident occur so is consider fixed, the batch that they get is mostly either earlier batch or Fiio shipped the wrong unit... so far no people still complaint the issue in China currently...

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #919 of 1,435
Does someone on here have the iFi Zen DAC+Zen Can (V1) and the K7?
Are they similar soundwise? I would like to know if the K7 is on the same level as the iFi stack and if the K7 is warm-sounding too.

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #920 of 1,435
Hello,
Currently I have O2+ODAC (revB) (images attached), paired with Sennheiser HD650 (stock 6.5mm cable).
I am exclusively listening to 24/96 flac vinyl rips or TR24 (if they are not compressed), through the USB port.

As I am interested in the K7, I would like to find answers to the following questions:
1) Will there will be any NOTICEABLE sound difference to the O2+ODAC with the HD650 and the stock cable? If yes, please describe (if possible).
2) Is the K7 more powerful? I see that the single ended output is rated 140mW @ 300Ω, and for the O2 I can find 355 mW @ 150Ω and 88mW @ 600Ω, but nothing for 300Ω.
3) Any issues with K7? Overheating, etc...
4) Anything audio-related where the O2+ODAC is performing better?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #921 of 1,435
Hello,
Currently I have O2+ODAC (revB) (images attached), paired with Sennheiser HD650 (stock 6.5mm cable).
I am exclusively listening to 24/96 flac vinyl rips or TR24 (if they are not compressed), through the USB port.

As I am interested in the K7, I would like to find answers to the following questions:
1) Will there will be any NOTICEABLE sound difference to the O2+ODAC with the HD650 and the stock cable? If yes, please describe (if possible).
2) Is the K7 more powerful? I see that the single ended output is rated 140mW @ 300Ω, and for the O2 I can find 355 mW @ 150Ω and 88mW @ 600Ω, but nothing for 300Ω.
3) Any issues with K7? Overheating, etc...
4) Anything audio-related where the O2+ODAC is performing better?

Thank you in advance!

Output can be approximated using Ohm's law, and doing so, you can estimate that the O2 is putting out around 170mW at 300 ohms, so not much difference there. However the K7's balanced output would be preferable, as Headphonia measured that the K7 puts out 560mW at 300 ohms.

Furthermore, a balanced cable doesn't have to be expensive. I use this brand's cables all the time and they've all worked great.

So, if you're sticking with the stock cable, they both probably sound the same. But if you go balanced, there's a good chance you'll hear a difference.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #922 of 1,435
Can we expect a firmware update that can be launched from a PC thru the USB B port?
Dear friend,

And if you would like a XMOS firmware for turning off the RGB indicator, then is a Yes.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 8, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #923 of 1,435
Dear friend,

And if you would like a XMOS firmware for turning off the RGB indicator, then is a Yes.

Best regards
I don't understand what you mean,we can update the firmware trough usb to turn the rgb off but regarding the volume that goes random to 0 we have to open the K7 and use a usb bridge....I'm confused,either you can flash it trough usb b or not...

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #925 of 1,435
Got mine today and i like it alot,i wished the rgb could be turned off or controlled via firmware/drivers or even better lights up only when touching the volume wheel for some seconds. :L3000:
I agree. Too bright, dimming a bit would be nice. Like K3 brightness. A single small RGB Led same as input source placed on right side of unit volume knob would have been perfect. Turning volume knob or a change in rate then turning off would be good here.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #926 of 1,435
I was wondering how does volume control work with this if you hook it up to your computer and speakers? There is volume control:

1. In the computer
2. On the Fiio K7
3. And for me, also my active speakers (audioengine HD6)
The volume control works as it normally would on any device. Typically with a DAC, the computers main output is set to maximum when connected to the DAC. Then you can control the volume via the DAC OR set your DAC to a specific volume and use what ever applications volume level to adjust. The later is how I use it.

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #927 of 1,435
Has anyone tried the K7 with Philips Fidelio X3? I'm looking at buying blind because they both have great reviews and are cheap so I can afford to fail but.. I'd love to hear somebody's experience.
I am using this exact setup. I highly enjoy. But everyone is different. Best thing to do is try and see if you like it or not SilkyO.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #929 of 1,435
Update: As of today 3-10-23, Amazon has them back up with a Delivery date of March 26th-30th 2023 if someone was looking to purchase. Wonder if these are going to be updated firmware units from firmware 1.22?

Thoughts... I got my K7 2 days ago. I just went on Amazon and B&H have pulled all stock. Wonder if Fiio has pulled remaining stock to update them?
Now, do I send mine back and just wait to see if they re-release and updated model or not. Minor issues, but some that could be fixed with a firmware update perhaps.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #930 of 1,435
By the way, the owners of K7. Are there those of you who use a USB cable that is 2 meters long or more? Have you noticed that with such a cable, the sound is occasionally interrupted? As if it disappears for half a second, it is perceived by ear as a click. It happens rarely and it is not always possible to distinguish it, but sometimes it happens. Nobody noticed this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back