FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #931 of 1,452
By the way, the owners of K7. Are there those of you who use a USB cable that is 2 meters long or more? Have you noticed that with such a cable, the sound is occasionally interrupted? As if it disappears for half a second, it is perceived by ear as a click. It happens rarely and it is not always possible to distinguish it, but sometimes it happens. Nobody noticed this?
Yes I have noticed this. I am using the stock K7 USB A to B cable for now. Not sure if I am going to keep it because I truly feel a firmware update is needed and Fiio did not implement a way to do this with the built in USB.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #932 of 1,452
I don't understand what you mean,we can update the firmware trough usb to turn the rgb off but regarding the volume that goes random to 0 we have to open the K7 and use a usb bridge....I'm confused,either you can flash it trough usb b or not...

The chip responsible for handling the volume input is the UM800x which can only be updated via UART.
I assume the XMOS chip is responsible for the light ring, in which case can be done via USB.

By the way, the owners of K7. Are there those of you who use a USB cable that is 2 meters long or more? Have you noticed that with such a cable, the sound is occasionally interrupted? As if it disappears for half a second, it is perceived by ear as a click. It happens rarely and it is not always possible to distinguish it, but sometimes it happens. Nobody noticed this?

Haven't had this issue myself (at least not yet) but this is pretty bad if confirmed by multiple folks.

I initially wanted to sell my old K5 Pro AKM but decided not to with all the K7 shenanigans.
Would rather keep it in a drawer somewhere as a backup, since it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #933 of 1,452
Glad there’s been so much activity lately. I’ve been on the sideline since I had been waiting for something official from FiiO regarding the volume drop issue and had returned all 3 K7s over a month ago.

I’d like to pick it up again but I’d like to avoid the roulette, if possible, this time.

Noticed they’ve pulled the K7 off Amazon, as someone mentioned, curious what that could mean.

Also wondering if the firmware update for those with the volume drop issue ended up resolving it, at least up to this point.

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #934 of 1,452
Glad there’s been so much activity lately. I’ve been on the sideline since I had been waiting for something official from FiiO regarding the volume drop issue and had returned all 3 K7s over a month ago.

I’d like to pick it up again but I’d like to avoid the roulette, if possible, this time.

Noticed they’ve pulled the K7 off Amazon, as someone mentioned, curious what that could mean.

Also wondering if the firmware update for those with the volume drop issue ended up resolving it, at least up to this point.
I dont think Fiio has released a firmware update as of yet. They have sent a forum member an patch via XMOS however from what i have read via the posts here.

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #935 of 1,452

Yes, it turns out that more than three weeks have passed since the firmware update, and during this time I did not find a problem with a drop in volume. That is, I can say that the firmware update completely solves this problem, it did not return after a while.

But now I'm facing another problem. I recently moved into a new apartment, and it so happened that due to the new environment and furniture, the standard meter USB cable from K7 became short for me. I connected the K7 through a meter USB extension cable and began to notice that sometimes the sound stutters, as if the signal disappears for half a second, it is perceived as a click by ear. At first I sinned on the USB extension cable, I thought it was of poor quality, but I connected my old FiiO K3 through it and did not find such a problem there. I recently bought an expensive 2m cable QED Reference High Resolution USB (https://www.qed.co.uk/reference-high-resolution-usb.html) to make sure I didn't have a bad quality cable, but that didn't solve my problem either. Clicks (sound interruptions for half a second) with this cable became much less common, but still remained.

Possibly the problem could be poor power supply, I also ordered proprietary linear power supply JadeAudio/FiiO PL50, it should arrive in about a month, I'll check if this problem persists with it.

All of the above does not interfere with living and enjoying music. It's less of a problem than the volume drop, but curiosity takes over. But to be honest, I am very disappointed that from the very beginning it was not possible to simply buy the K7 and safely use it as it is out of the box. All these gestures to solve emerging problems are very tiring. Never had this problem with my previous K3. I had thoughts of upgrading to K9 or K9 Pro in the future, but there is no guarantee that problems will not arise with them during use.

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #936 of 1,452
I dont think Fiio has released a firmware update as of yet. They have sent a forum member a patch via XMOS however from what i have read via the posts here.
Yeah that’s what I meant. Being one of the first people to bring the issue to their attention naturally they reached out to me as well but since I was nearing the end of my return period I wasn’t willing to roll the dice on if the issue would be resolved with that patch.

Yes, it turns out that more than three weeks have passed since the firmware update, and during this time I did not find a problem with a drop in volume. That is, I can say that the firmware update completely solves this problem, it did not return after a while.

But now I'm facing another problem. I recently moved into a new apartment, and it so happened that due to the new environment and furniture, the standard meter USB cable from K7 became short for me. I connected the K7 through a meter USB extension cable and began to notice that sometimes the sound stutters, as if the signal disappears for half a second, it is perceived as a click by ear. At first I sinned on the USB extension cable, I thought it was of poor quality, but I connected my old FiiO K3 through it and did not find such a problem there. I recently bought an expensive 2m cable QED Reference High Resolution USB (https://www.qed.co.uk/reference-high-resolution-usb.html) to make sure I didn't have a bad quality cable, but that didn't solve my problem either. Clicks (sound interruptions for half a second) with this cable became much less common, but still remained.

Possibly the problem could be poor power supply, I also ordered proprietary linear power supply JadeAudio/FiiO PL50, it should arrive in about a month, I'll check if this problem persists with it.

All of the above does not interfere with living and enjoying music. It's less of a problem than the volume drop, but curiosity takes over. But to be honest, I am very disappointed that from the very beginning it was not possible to simply buy the K7 and safely use it as it is out of the box. All these gestures to solve emerging problems are very tiring. Never had this problem with my previous K3. I had thoughts of upgrading to K9 or K9 Pro in the future, but there is no guarantee that problems will not arise with them during use.
Glad to hear it’s been working without issue since the update. Sorry this new problem has arisen. Fingers crossed that power supply does the trick for you.

And yeah I totally agree, there’s no reason we should have to jump through so many hurdles to get a new $200 product to function how you’d expect it to outside the box.

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #937 of 1,452
Sorry to hear people have had problems. Had my K7 for more than 2 months and so far it has been flawless via USB.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #940 of 1,452
Does it have a standby function, or should I always switch it off when paired with a PC through USB?

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #942 of 1,452
I don't understand what you mean,we can update the firmware trough usb to turn the rgb off but regarding the volume that goes random to 0 we have to open the K7 and use a usb bridge....I'm confused,either you can flash it trough usb b or not...
Dear friend,

Burning the MCU firmware is requried for the volume problem so you would need to disassemble the K7 first. The XMOS firmware for RGB indicator is different from the MCU firmware.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #943 of 1,452

Dear friend,

The K7 is out of stock currently. And it may be available again at about early next month.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #945 of 1,452
Dear friend,

Burning the MCU firmware is requried for the volume problem so you would need to disassemble the K7 first. The XMOS firmware for RGB indicator is different from the MCU firmware.

Best regards
Sir, Opening a Device to update the firmware isn't something the end user should do on a brand new product. Let's be honest,you released a product with a flawed firmware and now the end user who spent their hard earned cash should tinker with the device to have a normal functioning one? Something isn't right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back