FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #196 of 1,433
look nice, but hope it can b thinner and wider..

great news to know is dual ak4497 or ak4499.
as usual HOPE fiio tune the sound normal...

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #197 of 1,433
look nice, but hope it can b thinner and wider..

great news to know is dual ak4497 or ak4499.
as usual HOPE fiio tune the sound normal...
It would be great if the tuning follows the Topping D90 or the Gustard A22 so less delta-sigma and more R2R.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #198 of 1,433
Well, you get a better DAC, a balanced amp and BT over the budget-oriented K5 Pro. I don't need balanced (less so THX) as the K5 Pro DAC+Amp is enough quelitiy for me, but need Bluetooth, so all depends on the price. 300$ could be too much for a BT+DAC+THX amp, bat if SE is enough, there are options that fit in this budget.
Yeah i don't need any of those. I just need a good clean dac, powerful clean transparent amp. They are generally sold as a stack but i want all in one. K5 pro not up to the stack standard.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #199 of 1,433
Yeah i don't need any of those. I just need a good clean dac, powerful clean transparent amp. They are generally sold as a stack but i want all in one. K5 pro not up to the stack standard.
What particular stack are you thinking of?

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #201 of 1,433
Jun 18, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #202 of 1,433
Both Topping and SMSL raised almost impossible to attain standards to the DAC+Headamp markets. Fiio pay attention (Topping D50s with A50, or the cheaper E30 and <<I-DONT-EVEN-WANT-TO-MENTION>> the D90+A90 combo or the SMSL SU-8 with the amplifier, headamp stack etc.)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #203 of 1,433
Price will be very important, i agree.
Judging only by its tech specs, do you think it will be a reasonable buy to drive closed back-low impedance headphones like Focal Elegia or Denon AH-D7200?
Another minor question: the volume knob will it be smooth or with scales?

I think it will be important to estabilish how much this DAC/AMP has in common with the ones mentioned before (SMSL, Topping, Etc.).
I add also the Questyle Cma400i, that is similar to this one (AKM chips etc.)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #204 of 1,433
I have the Denon's and they are perfectly driven by K5 Pro in low gain, so we can assume that K7 will drive them without a hassle

Jun 30, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #206 of 1,433
Coming here after I saw James Chung mention this in his Head Fi interview. I might be a bit late to the party:
  • Love to see that you are using USB-C, however, if you could also do power delivery with the type-c plug that would be the bees knees. Not sure if this is possible because it looks like the power supply will be external, but it would be very cool if all a user had to do was plug in the type-c cord for power and data.
  • I think your main competition is the Monoprice THX AAA Dac/Amp ($499). That device has a digital display, Dirac, and EQ functionality. I know that model has its faults, but if you price the K7 at $500, why would someone buy it over the Monoprice? I think you will have to sell them on a more powerful amp, and a better chip (AK4497/99)? If it comes in at $400, it will be a no brainer.
  • Can you make the gain and output selectors a little bigger, or maybe add a notch to them? Looks like they will require very fine motor skills to use (could be wrong here).
Looking forward to it!

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #207 of 1,433
Coming here after I saw James Chung mention this in his Head Fi interview. I might be a bit late to the party:
  • Love to see that you are using USB-C, however, if you could also do power delivery with the type-c plug that would be the bees knees. Not sure if this is possible because it looks like the power supply will be external, but it would be very cool if all a user had to do was plug in the type-c cord for power and data.
  • I think your main competition is the Monoprice THX AAA Dac/Amp ($499). That device has a digital display, Dirac, and EQ functionality. I know that model has its faults, but if you price the K7 at $500, why would someone buy it over the Monoprice? I think you will have to sell them on a more powerful amp, and a better chip (AK4497/99)? If it comes in at $400, it will be a no brainer.
  • Can you make the gain and output selectors a little bigger, or maybe add a notch to them? Looks like they will require very fine motor skills to use (could be wrong here).
Looking forward to it!
That Monoprice dac amp combo looks amazing aesthetically. It has problems though. I hope K7 will measure much better. As i said earlier you can get godlike performance with E30+L30 stack $260 free shipping, Schiit/Atom stacks. For $500, you should be close to it's performance(i know you can't beat it). You also need real balanced output, additional features and premium look.
2x 4497 or 2x4493 per channel
THX amp with performance around Heresy, L30 or Atom (with more power)
Equally good single and balanced output.
No flaws (jitter, imd, tone, linearity, channel balance, output impedance, dynamic range, noise, distortion, noise free sensitive headphone drive etc)
Possibly MQA and Dirac, maybe equalizer

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #209 of 1,433
That Monoprice dac amp combo looks amazing aesthetically. It has problems though. I hope K7 will measure much better. As i said earlier you can get godlike performance with E30+L30 stack $260 free shipping, Schiit/Atom stacks. For $500, you should be close to it's performance(i know you can't beat it). You also need real balanced output, additional features and premium look.
2x 4497 or 2x4493 per channel
THX amp with performance around Heresy, L30 or Atom (with more power)
Equally good single and balanced output.
No flaws (jitter, imd, tone, linearity, channel balance, output impedance, dynamic range, noise, distortion, noise free sensitive headphone drive etc)
Possibly MQA and Dirac, maybe equalizer
Don’t think the Dirac and EQ is practically possible without a digital display.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back