FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Jul 9, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #1,172 of 1,453
Hello! Have any of you tested both the K7 and the iFi Zen Dac V2? I'm looking to buy a a DAC/AMP with a warm, musical and fun sound signature. I'm not really an audiophile, so i dislike neutral/bright sound. Thanks in advance!
I have the K7, but researched both. The iFi has a bass-boost, but I don’t think the iFi DAC is as good.

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #1,174 of 1,453
Have you ever used Equalizer APO with the K7? If that's the case, how does it react to a bit more bass?
Negative. I use Boom 3D, which I got when I was using the onboard laptop DAC. Very useful for that, but with the K7 and the subwoofer in my Aiwa Axios-9 powered speakers, I have EQ off and just use the compressor (“night mode”) when watching movies or podcasts with the volume all over the place.

Plenty of bass for me; and as an ex-bass player, I do like my bass!

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #1,175 of 1,453
Hello! Have any of you tested both the K7 and the iFi Zen Dac V2? I'm looking to buy a a DAC/AMP with a warm, musical and fun sound signature. I'm not really an audiophile, so i dislike neutral/bright sound. Thanks in advance!
Warm/musical sounds like the Zen DAC v2 - though the Fiio K7 is certainly not clinical/shrill/super bright either.

Think of it this way - the warmest and bassiest of the lot Zen DAC v2 with bassboost on, then the K7, then Zen DAC v2 with bassboost off.

The K7 is sorta the inbetween of zen dac's bassboost on/off tonally, but the ifi zen dac is also quite underpowered even for an all-in-one. For your current and planned gear it'll be fine but if you ever plan on getting something harder to power down the line the zen dac may not cut it, increasing cost of ownership because you'd need to stack it with the zen can.

I'll say that both are absolutely fantastic devices

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,177 of 1,453
Negative. I use Boom 3D, which I got when I was using the onboard laptop DAC. Very useful for that, but with the K7 and the subwoofer in my Aiwa Axios-9 powered speakers, I have EQ off and just use the compressor (“night mode”) when watching movies or podcasts with the volume all over the place.

Plenty of bass for me; and as an ex-bass player, I do like my bass!
Thanks a lot! I was worried that the K7 would be too clinical, because according to a few reviewers THX amps sound a bit dry.

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,178 of 1,453
Warm/musical sounds like the Zen DAC v2 - though the Fiio K7 is certainly not clinical/shrill/super bright either.

Think of it this way - the warmest and bassiest of the lot Zen DAC v2 with bassboost on, then the K7, then Zen DAC v2 with bassboost off.

The K7 is sorta the inbetween of zen dac's bassboost on/off tonally, but the ifi zen dac is also quite underpowered even for an all-in-one. For your current and planned gear it'll be fine but if you ever plan on getting something harder to power down the line the zen dac may not cut it, increasing cost of ownership because you'd need to stack it with the zen can.

I'll say that both are absolutely fantastic devices
That's exactly what i read on Reddit. The K7 is a good choice then. Thanks for your help.

Jul 9, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #1,179 of 1,453
If you read the FiiO literature for the K7, K9, and K9 Pro, you will see that the THX amps FiiO uses are not the standard off the shelf ones. FiiO worked with THX to make some changes to the THX amp they use and it sounds better than the standard ones. Don't worry about a 'dry' sound with the FiiO amps.

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,180 of 1,453
If you read the FiiO literature for the K7, K9, and K9 Pro, you will see that the THX amps FiiO uses are not the standard off the shelf ones. FiiO worked with THX to make some changes to the THX amp they use and it sounds better than the standard ones. Don't worry about a 'dry' sound with the FiiO amps.
I've read quite a few reviews about The K7 and i think no one mentioned that. Maybe i just missed it because English is not my first language.

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #1,182 of 1,453
It happens when I turn the unit on using the volume button. After 2-3 seconds of turning it on there is an audible click inside the unit, like something is turning on.

@FiiO is this normal?
One click as you turn it on right? Yep sounds normal to me

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #1,184 of 1,453

Users who are viewing this thread

Back