[FiiO K5Pro/K5Pro ESS]Desktop DAC and Amplifier+768K/32Bit and DSD512 decoding+3 gain levels (K5 Pro ESS (Red Version) Is Available Now)
Jan 17, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #466 of 633
I

Thanks for the info. I'm not using a separate amp with my computer and K5. Someone suggested turning the computer volume all the way up, and control the volume with the K5. Does that sound like the right thing to do with the setup I have?
The K5 Pro is a DAC/AMP which means it has, well, both a DAC and an AMP to process your audio. The purpose of this is to bypass the processing done by your source, i.e. your computer. Turn the volume on your computer to its maximum and leave it that way. Control the volume of your audio with the K5 Pros dial. Are you using Windows 10?

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #467 of 633
The K5 Pro is a DAC/AMP which means it has, well, both a DAC and an AMP to process your audio. The purpose of this is to bypass the processing done by your source, i.e. your computer. Turn the volume on your computer to its maximum and leave it that way. Control the volume of your audio with the K5 Pros dial. Are you using Windows 10?
OK I'll crank up the computer volume and just use the K5. Thanks

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #468 of 633
Thanks for the info. I'm not using a separate amp with my computer and K5. Someone suggested turning the computer volume all the way up, and control the volume with the K5. Does that sound like the right thing to do with the setup I have?

That’s right, as you want to use the K5 as a preamp so the volume is controled by it. But, better than letting the computer volume to max, bypassing any operating system sound processing is the way to get the best possible sound. At least with Windows 10, I got a noticeable sound quality by doing it.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #469 of 633
But, better than letting the computer volume to max, bypassing any operating system sound processing is the way to get the best possible sound.
Even with the ASIO driver installed you still have to max out the sound device levels and I think that’s what they were referencing.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #470 of 633
Even with the ASIO driver installed you still have to max out the sound device levels and I think that’s what they were referencing.

You’re right, even when using Foobar2000 with ASIO thru USB I have to max out the Foobar volume control. I was referring to the Windows master volume control, which is bypassed by this configuration and has no effect on the bitstream sent to the K5 Pro.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #471 of 633
If you want to have greater control over the volume knob on the K5 Pro, you could try to modify the gain by putting a negative one. I did this for my X2HR because it's low impedance and I have much more precision this way. It works on Audirvana, don't know for other softwares

Jan 18, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #474 of 633
I've found 1 unit available on Amazon UK.....

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #477 of 633
Are there any known mods for the K5 Pro that improve its sound quality at all? It’s already a pretty solid device but I ask this just out of curiosity.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #478 of 633
If you want to have greater control over the volume knob on the K5 Pro, you could try to modify the gain by putting a negative one. I did this for my X2HR because it's low impedance and I have much more precision this way. It works on Audirvana, don't know for other softwares
Isn’t it enough with the K5 Pro‘s three gain settings?

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #479 of 633
Isn’t it enough with the K5 Pro‘s three gain settings?

My X2HR is only 32 ohms so the margin to control the volume is quite narrow by default even in low gain because of the power the K5 Pro provides!

It's not an issue per se, just a matter of control and adjustment you can tweak with some softwares :)

Most of the time I adjust between 10 and 11 o'clock, maybe until 12 but not very often

Users who are viewing this thread

Back