FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Feb 5, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #214 of 744
  Sorry, does anyone know what cables it comes with? I ordered mine from B&H and expect it next week.

Power cable/adapter and usb (full size to usb-B) cable.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #216 of 744
I just think why Fiio never make higher class SS amp Or Dac... still gonna buy K5 sometime.

Fiio is doing a great job with (mostly) low cost portable audio. But if they're going to start making desktop amps, that's a whole new ballgame, and then they're competing with companies like Schiit, who are doing very well in that niche market. Now that Schiit's around, it's it's more difficult to be noticed in the $300 and under price bracket.

But, yes, I'm at the point where I want a dedicated desktop amp. I'd be interested in an upgraded K5 desktop amp around $300.

A $300 desktop amp from Fiio would be pretty darn good, methinks.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #217 of 744
I already have a Schiit stack (see sig), but I'm buying the K5 as a semi-portable option to go with my X7. I have been traveling a lot and will probably continue to do so for the next few years (TESOL student doing various exchange programs). The weight does add up, and security tends to get suspicious about tube amps.

By the way, the K5 is at the sorting facility in my city. Argh, so close yet so far! I'm looking forward to try this out with my X7 and HD 650.

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #218 of 744
Feb 6, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #221 of 744
Hi twister.

Can you give us more details about sound signature as headphone amplifier ???
Some frequency ranges are noticeably altered ( for example the bass ) or keep flat and neutral response ?

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #222 of 744
I was supposed to get the K5 today, but the courier decided to be a lazy POS and drop a signature slip saying they'll re-deliver instead of going up to my room to give me the package. USPS sucks. Their customer service is crap no matter where you go.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #223 of 744
I don't have high-end headphones, but I am interested in the best possible sound and ease of use for my home system. I can see this would make the X5 II I'm planning to buy look better, and be easier to use. But I have a couple questions. Would it help with sound in any way? I don't have XLR inputs in my system - just RCA inputs. Does the volume knob or gain setting have any effect on the RCA outputs, or is it just line-level out? Is there any difference between using the RCA output on the K5 and the Line-out on the X5 II with a "Y" minijack -> RCA L/R cable?

Thanks, everyone!

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #224 of 744
I don't have high-end headphones, but I am interested in the best possible sound and ease of use for my home system. I can see this would make the X5 II I'm planning to buy look better, and be easier to use. But I have a couple questions. Would it help with sound in any way? I don't have XLR inputs in my system - just RCA inputs. Does the volume knob or gain setting have any effect on the RCA outputs, or is it just line-level out? Is there any difference between using the RCA output on the K5 and the Line-out on the X5 II with a "Y" minijack -> RCA L/R cable?

Thanks, everyone!

No difference in sound if you are going to output to another power amplifier, for speakers. You will still be using X5II's DAC in that situation. K5 will help you if you drive headphones from it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back