FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Jan 28, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #196 of 744
  Thanks for the insight.

What I basically wanted to say, in a much much shorter version was - What do you expect from K5? Do you need it? Does it make sense for your audio equipment? You know what are the feature of K5 - are they worth the money to you?

Finally - let's admit it - X7 docked in K5 just looks cool. It's very hard to resist buying it even though the SQ improvement may be subtle  
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #197 of 744

I already covered that in my first impression post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/740441/k5-fiios-new-docking-desktop-amp-how-do-you-like-it-update-2015-07-06-final-design-published/120#post_12223533

Keep in mind, it's a comparison to X7 IEM module, and with other amp modules the difference could be subtle.

Do you think it's worthwhile then to purchase the K5, if the difference in sound is subtle

Well, the jury is still out since we don't have other amp modules, and I'm just making an assumption it could be subtle.  But most likely it will.

You really have to think about how you're planning to use your X7 and K5.  For example, if you are listening to efficient no frills IEMs on the go and more demanding headphones at home - K5 is a perfect solution where you don't need to invest into additional amp modules.  Carry it in your pocket outside of the house with IEMs, and use in a desktop setup for listening or streaming when it's docked and being charged so you don't waste battery.   Plus, K5 is not only for X7 but for your X1, X3ii, and X5ii - a good investment to dock your other FiiO DAPs if you have those.  Otherwise, if need more power to drive your more demanding headphones or want to use balanced 2.5mm output, I wouldn't go for K5 and instead get one of those accessory charging stands for quick charging at home (FiiO going to introduce it soon).  There also going to be bluetooth remote to control playback, so you can use it with your wireless headphones, charging stand, and remote BT control playback.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #198 of 744
  How much does it improve the sound of the X7. Do you think you could provide a brief review. That would be great.

Sorry missed your post earlier. I would have posted some impressions already but I am waiting for X7 USB DAC feature to be introduced in the next few days to really test the amp. 

IMO, yes the K5 improves the sound of the X7 over the stock iem amp module. There is more headroom when driving more demanding headphones. The K5 sounds closer to the X7 line out in terms of quality, better separation and dynamics and layering. To my ears, the K5 is a noticeable improvement for my uses. I am sure it will be an even better combo once X7 can be used as a dac. At the moment I am using K5 with Geek Out V2.

If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them. Hope that helped. 

Also K5 looks sexy AF. Seriously, one of the sexiest designs for an amplifier I have seen.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #199 of 744

Sorry missed your post earlier. I would have posted some impressions already but I am waiting for X7 USB DAC feature to be introduced in the next few days to really test the amp.

IMO, yes the K5 improves the sound of the X7 over the stock iem amp module. There is more headroom when driving more demanding headphones. The K5 sounds closer to the line out in terms of quality, better separation and dynamics and layering. To my ears, the K5 is a noticeable improvement for my uses. I am sure it will be an even better combo once X7 can be used as a dac. At the moment I am using K5 with Geek Out V2.

If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them. Hope that helped.

Also K5 looks sexy AF. Seriously, one of the sexiest designs for an amplifier I have seen.

Thank you very much for this review. I think I'm sold on purchasing the K5.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #202 of 744
Hey, has anyone used the K5/X7 combo with the HIFIMAN HE-560s? Will it be a noticable improvement over my Oppo HA-2? 

I know @twister6 advised me a couple weeks back that, in stock form, the X7 and HA-2 sound practically identical, but future amp modules for the X7 could make it a much better performer. 

I'll also be using a Beyerdynamic DT1770.

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #203 of 744
  FiiO K5 is finally available on Amazon, and looks like they got a number of units in stock.

Thanks for the heads-up! I bought one after I saw this. I hope it will treat my HD 650s well. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #205 of 744
Just bought and tried the K5 with a docked E17k and I'm extremely happy to report that (like a few of you said) it drives the 600 ohm DT 880 perfectly.
At 100 windows volume + high gain, the knob only needs to be turned around 45% of the way to reach a good volume 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #207 of 744
  Looking forward to more reviews. 

Does anyone know if the X3ii will dock...with the protective skin on? It would be a huge pain to have to take it off every time... 

You have to take the skin/case off.  But in the back there is micro-usb Dock in port which I assume is for their proprietary IC cable (11-pin micro-usb) so you can connect any X-series DAP with this cable to take advantage of K5 amp if you can't dock them due to the case/skin being on.  @JamesFiiO, can you please confirm?

Regarding the question of power and what K5 can/can't drive, this beast is capable of 1.5W at 32 ohm load and 150mW at 300 ohm load.  Knowing FiiO, they like to spec it very conservatively, so you got MORE than enough power.  If you want to use your X1/X3ii/X5ii/X7 and E17k in a desktop setup, I can't think of a better investment under $110.  Even so I have already posted plenty of impressions and pictures, I'm organizing everything now to put it into review.

Just checked and it looks like it will be back in stock on Amazon in 2 days (Feb 6th).  It's actually rated on amazon as "#1 new release", assuming it sold out pretty quickly.  Amazon link is a few posts above, I mentioned it earlier.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #208 of 744

You have to take the skin/case off.  But in the back there is micro-usb Dock in port which I assume is for their proprietary IC cable (11-pin micro-usb) so you can connect any X-series DAP with this cable to take advantage of K5 amp if you can't dock them due to the case/skin being on.  @JamesFiiO, can you please confirm?

I assume you also have to remove any case from the X5ii? That sucks. Does it come with that 11 pin USB cable? How long is the cable?

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #209 of 744

I assume you also have to remove any case from the X5ii? That sucks. Does it come with that 11 pin USB cable? How long is the cable?

No, usb cable is not provided, I believe FiiO is working on it now.  Most likely it won't cost too much, look at all of their cable accessories - decent quality and dirt cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back