FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Dec 9, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #46 of 408
  Welcome to the club of K1 owners.

But I can't agree on that statement, I did comparing to other DAPs, DAC/AMPs too, the K1 is strict neutral sounding and provides a flat frequency response. I addtional measured the K1 already: http://www.head-fi.org/t/788198/fiio-k1-smaller-and-better-for-less/15#post_12114459

interesting. my mind is playing tricks on me.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #47 of 408
  Looks like it would be on par with X3II then?  I ask because it has a similar frequency response like what you linked for the K1.  Your thoughts?

Thanks

The FiiO X3 2nd Gen has less hiss (very low), more (!) power, and it's still a real DAP instead of a small USB DAC/AMP like the K1 is. Can't really compare this kind of devices, but still for 50 bucks the K1 is a no-brainer for me and it's out-of-the-box SQ.

interesting. my mind is playing tricks on me.

No worries, new toys in the house = alwas playing with our minds, I know that.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #48 of 408
Just need to weigh the pros and cons of this vs the Topping NX2 - the latter is cheaper and designed to mate with Android phones. I love the little USB DACs - my microStreamer was fantastic - but I've been wanting to try one of the Android compatible DACs for quite a while now, particularly as I have a new portable amp incoming that (AFAIK) has never been reviewed on an English-language website. Interesting times. 

Edit: it appears that the Amazon seller doesnt ship to Oz, making my choice a whole lot easier. Such is life - looking forward to impressions. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #51 of 408
  Welcome to the club of K1 owners.

But I can't agree on that statement, I did comparing to other DAPs, DAC/AMPs too, the K1 is strict neutral sounding and provides a flat frequency response. I addtional measured the K1 already: http://www.head-fi.org/t/788198/fiio-k1-smaller-and-better-for-less/15#post_12114459

Flat frequency respond doens't mean neutral sound, most of the portable amp will measure as flat but each one has it own sound signature.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #52 of 408
No can't agree on this. Starting from the impression on page before it's "more bassy". The bass is not (more) different if the frequency respond is flat, I compared my hearing/comparing + measured tests and it's the same results, the bass has no impact or change in any way to any other DACs I won like Chord Mojo, iFi audio micro iDSD and many more...

I did that same with LH Labs Geek Out 1000 vs iFi audio micro iDSD, both using the pretty much the almost the same amp section, only the iDSD has dual setup instead of single setup like the GO 1000. Both sounding with the same digital filter setting (standard) absolutly the same (my cans I used are the Sennheiser HD 800). After I changed the digital filter setting of the iDSD to "Bit perfect" the treble changed, but this we can measure again:

I know people "hear" different, but this is not a topic for the FiiO K1 thread. I know enough people they like me and I know a lot people they hear 100 changes on each single gear they try.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #53 of 408
  No can't agree on this. Starting from the impression on page before it's "more bassy". The bass is not (more) different if the frequency respond is flat, I compared my hearing/comparing + measured tests and it's the same results, the bass has no impact or change in any way to any other DACs I won like Chord Mojo, iFi audio micro iDSD and many more...

I did that same with LH Labs Geek Out 1000 vs iFi audio micro iDSD, both using the pretty much the almost the same amp section, only the iDSD has dual setup instead of single setup like the GO 1000. Both sounding with the same digital filter setting (standard) absolutly the same (my cans I used are the Sennheiser HD 800). After I changed the digital filter setting of the iDSD to "Bit perfect" the treble changed, but this we can measure again:

I know people "hear" different, but this is not a topic for the FiiO K1 thread. I know enough people they like me and I know a lot people they hear 100 changes on each single gear they try.

So you mean if two amp have the same frequency respond, they will sound the same? According to measurement of Tyll http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllAmpGraphs.pdf every amp have identical frequency respond, except some have minor roll off at 20hz cause by the input capacitor, which is small different. I should just buy the fiio e6 and save bunch of money.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #54 of 408
There are other things to consider besides frequency response - SNR / dynamic, current output, noise / distortion, transient, and importantly, how each of them reacts differently with a complex load (i.e. headphone = capacitance + resistance + inductance) with a dynamic signal (i.e. music). This all contribute to the sound of the amp. A frequency response is more like a snapshot of the amp in a relative simplified testing environment. One would expect a competent amp to sound just like any other competent amp, but that is usually easy said than done.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #56 of 408
I am considering this DAC for use with my laptop (which is essentially used as a desktop, it never leaves my desk).
I'm looking for something relatively cheap to use with my Shure se215's, my laptop just has crappy sound.
I don't actually need a portable DAC.
Would this be a good choice for me? Is there some other DAC I should consider? Could be something not portable, I don't actually need the portability.
Thanks in advance!

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #57 of 408
The FiiO K1 will be perfect for this requirement, I know other small DAC/AMP under 50 Euro with this quality.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #60 of 408
I am considering this DAC for use with my laptop (which is essentially used as a desktop, it never leaves my desk).

I'm looking for something relatively cheap to use with my Shure se215's, my laptop just has crappy sound.

I don't actually need a portable DAC.
Would this be a good choice for me? Is there some other DAC I should consider? Could be something not portable, I don't actually need the portability.
Thanks in advance!

If you're not going to buy other earphones in observable future, then K1 is a nice option. Otherwise, you can think about getting Q1, which is also a great option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back