FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Dec 2, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #31 of 408

Same here Supa Mint... I mostly love my Nexus 6P (Had a Nexus 5 before) but the audio quality is exactly as reported .. Abysmal (while speakers output is great, but oh well). I have a dedicated music player but it would be nice to get the 6P to a more respectable level. For now I'll try with the E12A (soon to arrive) but the K1 has the right size indeed.

Cool - hope the E12A works for you.  As an update, I picked up the FiiO Q1, which was plug and play with the Nexus 6P.  And the sound was dramatically improved - highly recommended.  Here is the cable that I ordered:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUBRX0Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00  

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #32 of 408
Awesome! Exactly what I want. Added yo wish list. I just got the E12A and did some testing with the CX300ii phones and wow big change. But so far I tried with the iPod. Tomorrow I will try on the 6p, though the idea in the end is to get a solution like the Q1. Great!

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #33 of 408
Such a sexy and affordable DAC!

I have bought the HIFIME DAC with SA9037 2 years ago, I don't like the volume control though, every step at windows vol slider is too large, unless I control it with the foobar attenuator. Anyone have this problem with the K1?

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #34 of 408
  Cool - hope the E12A works for you.  As an update, I picked up the FiiO Q1, which was plug and play with the Nexus 6P.  And the sound was dramatically improved - highly recommended.  Here is the cable that I ordered:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUBRX0Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00  

@Supa Mint when you say plug and play do you mean system wide, or only through specialized music players such as UAPP? I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a Q1 but I want to use it on streaming apps. 

Just so I'm not so off-track on this thread, I have tried the HRT MicroStreamer on the 6P and it works beautifully, jumps right to 96k on all apps and sounds amazing. But it kills the battery, some 15% discharge per hour. Just something to be aware of if considering high-bitrate processing without a self-powered device.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #35 of 408
  @Supa Mint when you say plug and play do you mean system wide, or only through specialized music players such as UAPP? I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a Q1 but I want to use it on streaming apps. 

HibyMusic is what I've been using.  It has worked without a hitch.  I just tried Pandora, to confirm that streaming apps work - it also worked perfectly.  Hope it works as expected for you.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #37 of 408
are any drivers required on windows/osx/linux, or is it truly plug and play?

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #38 of 408
Dec 8, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #40 of 408
Please see one page before: http://www.head-fi.org/t/788198/fiio-k1-smaller-and-better-for-less/15#post_12116819

It works, but not with regular USB OTG cables, you need a passive USB OTG hub, to bridge the power current to prevent disconnects from the Android device.

The FiiO M3 does not have USB audio support, this will never work, with any USB DAC. The FiiO M3 has only analogue output.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #41 of 408
Dec 8, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #42 of 408
This is what I want for christmas ! I always dreamed about a product like this, great job Fiio !!! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #43 of 408
today mine came in. didn't expect to actually receive it (webshop i ordered from had a price of €0 and €0 shipping)

i'm testing it from my ThinkPad X200, running Trisquel Linux.

earphones used are the Grado GR10e

i tested on all 3 usb ports, docked(and wallpowered) undocked (battery powered) (there is no difference between any of these)

there is a slight hiss, but, when playing music it isn't really noticable.
the K1 is quite the improvement over the onboard audio.
compared to my X5 (firstgen), the K1 is more bassy, but the mids and treble are definitely not left behind. i think most people will be more than happy with this little thing.

i'll definitely keep using it, and i think the formfactor (thumbdrive with a cute tiny usb cable) is great. if this was around €50, i would definitely buy it. great laptop companion.

packaging is also nicely done.

-CH23

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #44 of 408
Welcome to the club of K1 owners.

Quote:
  compared to my X5 (firstgen), the K1 is more bassy, but the mids and treble are definitely not left behind.

But I can't agree on that statement, I did comparing to other DAPs, DAC/AMPs too, the K1 is strict neutral sounding and provides a flat frequency response. I addtional measured the K1 already: http://www.head-fi.org/t/788198/fiio-k1-smaller-and-better-for-less/15#post_12114459

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #45 of 408
  Welcome to the club of K1 owners.

But I can't agree on that statement, I did comparing to other DAPs, DAC/AMPs too, the K1 is strict neutral sounding and provides a flat frequency response. I addtional measured the K1 already: http://www.head-fi.org/t/788198/fiio-k1-smaller-and-better-for-less/15#post_12114459

Looks like it would be on par with X3II then?  I ask because it has a similar frequency response like what you linked for the K1.  Your thoughts?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back