FiiO&JadeAudio Over-Ear Headphones Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #496 of 597
Could you elaborate a little? :) How do the JT1 fare against well-known closed-back models like the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, Sennheiser HD280, AKG K550, Koss Pro4S, Audio Technica ATH-MSR7b, Sony MDR-1A? :)

I would say it sounds more like a studio headphone similar to the audiotechnica m50x

Nov 29, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #497 of 597
I would say it sounds more like a studio headphone similar to the audiotechnica m50x

Thanks for the link to the review :) I really hope they're on par with the M50X :) The effort FiiO put into the design is incredible. Every detail was taken into consideration in order to make them durable (easily replacable pads and cable) and comfortable. They look very promising, I've ordered a pair at Aliexpress and I really hope I get them soon :)

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #498 of 597
These headphones are so cheap I think I'm just going to have to get them even if the frequency curve doesn't look exactly like what I usually like. I don't have a "backup" closed-back and these seem pretty decent for the price.

Edit: Okay, I went for it. Ordered from AliExpress because I want that balanced cable. I'll report my impressions once I get it. :)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #499 of 597
Nov 30, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #500 of 597
My review of the 32 ohm FT3. JT1 incoming.

https://headfonics.com/fiio-ft3-32-ohm-review/
FYI this sentence might be a bit misleading, but also I blame manufacters at least partially for not using complete units all the time: "The rated sensitivity rises to 110dB @1kHz, from the original’s 105dB @1kHz. The combination makes the FT3 32 Ohm easier to drive".

110 dB/Vrms and 32 Ω corresponds to a sensitivity of 95 dB/mW for the FT3 32 Ω version. The equivalent number for the FT3 300 Ω version is 99.8 dB/mW, so this is actually more sensitive and "easier to drive" if people are looking at amp specs on a mW/Ω rating. Even if we take FiiO's updated 102 dB/Vrms rating for the FT3 300 Ω set, that ends up being 96.8 dB/mW and still higher than the 32 Ω version.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #501 of 597
FYI this sentence might be a bit misleading, but also I blame manufacters at least partially for not using complete units all the time: "The rated sensitivity rises to 110dB @1kHz, from the original’s 105dB @1kHz. The combination makes the FT3 32 Ohm easier to drive".

110 dB/Vrms and 32 Ω corresponds to a sensitivity of 95 dB/mW for the FT3 32 Ω version. The equivalent number for the FT3 300 Ω version is 99.8 dB/mW, so this is actually more sensitive and "easier to drive" if people are looking at amp specs on a mW/Ω rating. Even if we take FiiO's updated 102 dB/Vrms rating for the FT3 300 Ω set, that ends up being 96.8 dB/mW and still higher than the 32 Ω version.
While I appreciate your analysis of the wording, another aspect should be considered as well. First the FT3 is 350 ohm, not 300 ohm.

Calculating necessary power at a given volume is what I consider in “hard to drive” units. Using an available sensitivity calculation, the FT3 350 ohm needs roughly 16x more power (3.0RMS(v) vs 0.18RMS(v)) to attain 110dB listening level (insanely loud, but it makes the point), than the FT3 32 ohm. Therefore the higher ohm’d FiiO does in fact need more power to attain the same listening levels (dB’s), and thus is harder to drive to the same volume.

I can agree with you though, that the numbers being put out by companies need scrutinization to completely understand. I also hold that both of these headphones are still very fine affordable units.

Cheers

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #502 of 597
the FT3 350 ohm needs roughly 16x more power (3.0RMS(v) vs 0.18RMS(v)) to attain 110dB listening level
Voltage is not power.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #503 of 597
While I appreciate your analysis of the wording, another aspect should be considered as well. First the FT3 is 350 ohm, not 300 ohm.

Calculating necessary power at a given volume is what I consider in “hard to drive” units. Using an available sensitivity calculation, the FT3 350 ohm needs roughly 16x more power (3.0RMS(v) vs 0.18RMS(v)) to attain 110dB listening level (insanely loud, but it makes the point), than the FT3 32 ohm. Therefore the higher ohm’d FiiO does in fact need more power to attain the same listening levels (dB’s), and thus is harder to drive to the same volume.

I can agree with you though, that the numbers being put out by companies need scrutinization to completely understand. I also hold that both of these headphones are still very fine affordable units.

Cheers
Actually 350 Ω further tilts sensitivity towards the higher impedance version as the number is now 100.44 dB/mW (assuming 105 dB/Vrms), but yeah we are on the same page in terms of companies and their units.

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #504 of 597
Voltage is not power.
Correct, but with higher impedance level headphones you need more voltage to attain the same listening levels as the lower impedance model. That was the point I was trying to make. And yes, going back to the equation I used to teach my 9th graders: P=V*I.

Higher impedance headphones usually (most often?) need more voltage to get up to a solid (same?) listening level to the headphones with lower-impedance.

Cheers.

Dec 8, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #505 of 597
I just received the FiiO JT1. I'm very impressed so far, they sound warm and yet slightly bright in the treble. Their soundstage is pretty amazing for closed-backs (excellent depth). They sound spacious and yet very intimate and forward (especially female vocals). I dig their timbre, it's better IMO than in the FT3s, which sound pretty dry and sterile (they excel in other areas though). Clarity and detail completely surpass their price range. These may be a gamechanger.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #506 of 597
I just received the FiiO JT1. I'm very impressed so far, they sound warm and yet slightly bright in the treble. Their soundstage is pretty amazing for closed-backs (excellent depth). They sound spacious and yet very intimate and forward (especially female vocals). I dig their timbre, it's better IMO than in the FT3s, whigh sound pretty dry and sterile (they excel in other areas though). Clarity and detail completely surpass their price range IMO. These may be a gamechanger.
I'm right there with you! I'm blown away frankly. I'm loving these!!!!!!

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #507 of 597
I hadn't checked on the status of my JT1 order in a while, but I decided to check today and found out that my order had been canceled due to "system error" and I'd never actually been charged.

Yeah, no thanks. I won't be attempting to order these from AliExpress again.

I'll get them if and when that balanced cable can be ordered from some other store, otherwise I think I'll forget about these.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #508 of 597
I hadn't checked on the status of my JT1 order in a while, but I decided to check today and found out that my order had been canceled due to "system error" and I'd never actually been charged.

Yeah, no thanks. I won't be attempting to order these from AliExpress again.

I'll get them if and when that balanced cable can be ordered from some other store, otherwise I think I'll forget about these.
I know, shopping on Aliexpress is a bit risky, although I haven't had any trouble with FiiO Official Store. It's best to choose a pickup point. I was surprised lately, because it turned out that when you place an order the site doesn't prompt you to immediately pay for it. You have to order first and then go to the "Orders" section and choose the option to pay for your purchase :O You can always wait until the JT1 becomes available in the US.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #509 of 597
JT1 is available on Amazon.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #510 of 597
"was" is the operative word :wink:

1702137413277.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back