FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 14, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #1,081 of 1,891
My impression on 3DT with respect to FD5 was much similar to yours: They are more alike than different. To my ears FD5 had a warmer midrange, and more voluminous bass, and 3DT had a more neutral midrange, and slightly less voluminous. Was not able to detect any more dissimilarities between them.

Yep, they are good IEMs, both of 'em!

There's also the new FH5S which is more middy foward , but still closer to FD5 than the original FH5

May 14, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,082 of 1,891
Yep, they are good IEMs, both of 'em!

There's also the new FH5S which is more middy foward , but still closer to FD5 than the original FH5
I am not really inclined to get that...I got A3H+ for one step down from 3DT, and it is extremely pleasing, extremely.

May 16, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,084 of 1,891
Hi! Welcome to my third weekly check-in! This post won't be referring to Kpop music at all but other music genres that I like to listen to. I have some English, Japanese, Video game soundtracks, Orchestra, and Jazz songs. As of this post, the burn-in period should be about 110+ hours. To put it simply about overall sound changes compared to last week? Not much honestly. The treble is as tamed as it is which is good for me, vocal sibilances are more or less still there, bass is fantastic for me since it doesn't overshadowed other instruments, Soundstage is still amazing.

Maybe the overall sound has reach it's limit due to the current DAP source that I'm using, maybe it'll give me better sound when I purchase a better DAP in the future. Until then, I'll continue to use my Sony A55! Current listening volume ranges from 60 - 65. For a below average power output dap, the A55 is able to handle the FD5 real smoothly.

I'll start with Orchestra. It is decent at best for me. My main Orchestra listens are usually from "Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy" albums and the recent "Final Fantasy VII Remake Orchestral Arrangement" album. Most of the time, the Orchestra tracks will sound wonderful, like "Terra's Theme", "Vamo' alla Flamenco", "Liberi Fatali" and "Memoro De La Stono". The soundstage and the choir really made it sound like I'm there. It was amazing. On the other hand, "Answers" while started pretty strong, it slowly kinda felt like it can be better sound wise. I used back my FH3 and it instantly sounded better for some reason. Maybe this is where the forward mids really helped bring life to this particular track. "Torn from the Heavens" as well, while the soundstage is fantastic, the rest felt just a tad bit grainy. As a casual orchestra listener that only listen to these albums, I'm pretty much okay with. There were no peaks on my end whatsoever. For those who mainly listens to orchestra may need to demo more with the FD5 with your own orchestra music library before deciding as it might lead to potential "mixed bag" situations.

Jazz is fantastic with the FD5! It's pretty much perfect for me honestly. Listening to "Moanin'", "Bag's Groove", and "But not for me" from the Sakamichi no Apollon OST is such a joyful album to listen to. Everything from the "Jazz At The Pawnshop" albums is great too! The "Soul" OST is pretty cool too with their jazz tracks.

Some English songs that I listen to are great as well. Chvrches's tracks like "Graffiti" and "Wonderland" goes surprisingly well with the FD5. I thought i'll encounter some sibilance while listening to their songs but I guess not. Kacey Musgraves "Rainbow" really puts the FD5 to work in the midrange. Kacey's vocals sounded really beautiful and naturally focus feeling, better than the FH3 in fact surprisingly. Maroon 5's "Sunday Morning" sounded wonderful but "Won't Go Home Without You" has a slight touch of peak and sibilance. Paramore "Hard Times" and "Fake Happy" sounded fantastic with the soundstage, but I wish the vocals would feel a lil bit more forward and clearer. Finally, Sammy Rae & the Friends "The Feeling" is just perfect all around. Her vocals, background vocals, vocal dubbing, the soundstage and the instruments separations is just amazing. No sibilance and peaking at all. Everything felt natural. "Whatever We Feel" and "Kick It To Me" are amazing highlights as well. I feel like Sammy Rae's discography really brings out all the best of the FD5. It's also one of my most repeats the past week. It's THAT fun to listen to!

Now onto some Japanese songs. YOASOBI "もう少しだけ" and "群青 (from THE FIRST TAKE)" are amazing. There are no sibilance at all and you'll be able to hear all the details that you need at ease. A highlight so far if we're talking THE FIRST TAKE, LiSA "Catch the Moment" is a must listen with the FD5. Her vocals really shines throughout the entire song. The funky BRADIO "幸せのシャナナ" is a pretty darn fun song to listen to. I get to hear minor details due to the soundstage, even more than the FH3. Cidergirl's "週刊少年ゾンビ" unfortunately took a step back for me. While I like some of the improved details from the song, it also felt grainy for me as whole. There were some vocal sibilance present as well. The FH3 makes this particular song much more fun to listen to. Finally, Necry Talkie's "FROG QUESTII" is another joyful song to listen to with the FD5. When Mossa goes into her vocal highs, there is absolutely no peaking at all and she sounded wonderful. You get to hear where each instruments are playing easily as well.

Finally we get into some Video Game Soundtracks! I could've put this in the Jazz section but Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 OST is just wonderful as whole. "Clock Tower Stage" and "River Stage" are some of the amazing highlights. This soundtrack also gets to teach me more about what soundstage is. The Splatoon soundtrack is pretty great as well. "Splattack!" and "Ink or Sink" are some of the highlights for Punk Rock-ish tracks. NieR Automata OST is also another wonderful soundtrack to listen to with the FD5. Everything from start to finish of this album is a journey. "A Beautiful Song", "Dark Colossus - Kaiju", "Emil - Despair", and "Bipolar Nightmare" are just some of the tracks that's amazing with the FD5. It felt more engaging than the FH3 in terms of soundstage and musical details for me. Last but not least, some Sonic Mania tracks! "Green Hill Zone Act 2", "Studiopolis Act 1", "Studiopolis Act 2" and "Lava Reef Act 1" are some of my favourite tracks from the game. The FH3 made the Sonic Mania OST more lively but the FD5 just took it a step further for me. Once again, the amazing soundstage made these tracks feels wide and alive.

That's about it for this post! I apologize for it being an overly long post! I would also like to apologize that I couldn't explain in more detail about the sound technicality part of it but I hope I managed to get most of my explanations across. My next check-in is gonna be my final one with back to being entirely K-pop, the main reason why I got the FD5 in the first place. If any of those music genres that I have explained above seems to fit your bill if you're deciding to get the FD5 or not, I hope that helps somehow! Until then, Thank you for reading and take care!

This track makes the FD5 sings and it sings hard!​

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #1,085 of 1,891
Well the IER-Z1R shares some similar sound balancing and stage presentation to the FD5 but that is about where the similarities ends however.

If you do a closer take on each part of the sound spectrum that is where the IER-Z1R is at the level they are. However taken the FD5 as a whole. They fit into a similar larger grand sound segment for earphones which is unique at the price segment.
Can you compare FD5 and Z1r Bass quantity, quality, slamwise in detail??

May 16, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,086 of 1,891
It isn't at the quality level of the IER-Z1R if that is what your looking for. But not too many earphones are. That driver Sony is using probably cost more than the entire FD5 earphones. Would be fantastic if a $300 earphone can match Sonys greatest earphones to date. Not at the same level but FD5 does a darn good job though and is one of the best bass performers in the price range.

Quantity of bass is on a similar level as is the slam but it is the sub bass performance of the IER-Z1R that is untouchable for most earphones. Z1Rs are my reference for sub bass texture and reach. FD5 has similar quantity of sub bass presence but is doesnt have that same level of texture. Speed wise FD5 puts up a good fight but again the quality of the bass end is where these are different.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,087 of 1,891
A direct comparison between the IER and the FD5 is absolutely unthinkable. That said there are similarities... the bass, the speed, the soundstage, the overall balance.
Surely the IERs are much darker than the FD5s, they certainly have some other level bass, and legendary highs but what I hear in the FD5 is not a sound absolutely to blame with deep bass and at the same time fast and precise, spectacular mids and the highs that, even if very present, integrate a noteworthy sound.

How does the FD5 beat the IERs? speed (not by much)
How is the FD5 on par with the IERs? The soundstage
How are the FD5s inferior? Everything else (but obviously not in relation to the price difference 270 euros against 1700 euros)
The real difference? The tone, the details, the overall sound performance, THE PRICE.
Oh I forgot another thing that unites them is that the price, for how they sound, could be much higher for both.

May 17, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #1,088 of 1,891
So as awesome as the FD5 cable is, mine has suddenly started to fail. The issue is the left side has started cutting out. There's no obvious evidence of damage and the cable hasn't been exposed to any kind of abuse, it seems like there's a loose connection somewhere because wiggling it around will cause it to start working again. I've contacted Fiio support to hopefully get it replaced.

May 17, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #1,089 of 1,891
So as awesome as the FD5 cable is, mine has suddenly started to fail. The issue is the left side has started cutting out. There's no obvious evidence of damage and the cable hasn't been exposed to any kind of abuse, it seems like there's a loose connection somewhere because wiggling it around will cause it to start working again. I've contacted Fiio support to hopefully get it replaced.
Dear friend,

You could try to contact the seller for help first. If the seller fails to help, we could replace the cable for you instead.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 18, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #1,091 of 1,891
copper.jpg

A new copper cable for my beloved Fd5 the Linsoul LSC08 much better than the original one to tame the treble peaks, and it is also very nice in my opinion.
My cable has arrived today.
It looks sturdy so far. :)

Will listen to this combo the next days bc i'm not in my best conditions today to make a serious comparison.
It wouldn't be fair to judge them.

What i can say is (after brief listening), that the Linsoul cable really tame the highs, wether for the good or the bad and if i'll like it or not, i'll figure out later this week. :wink:

But the FD5 is a little gem, imo.
I like(love) this little DD thing. :)
It holds me back to jump on the IE900 hype train for the moment. :see_no_evil: :smile:

Will report back my findings as promised.

Keep up listening to good music.
Chris

May 18, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,092 of 1,891
In order not to jump on any hype train, having seen the release of the FH5S and seeing the not-so-exciting reviews, I have recovered the original FH5 that have dropped in price precisely because of the new S. We will see as soon as they arrive, according to Crin they are the best FiiO so far and for 170 euros I could not let them escape and complete the couple with the FD5. :wink:

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,093 of 1,891
In order not to jump on any hype train, having seen the release of the FH5S and seeing the not-so-exciting reviews, I have recovered the original FH5 that have dropped in price precisely because of the new S. We will see as soon as they arrive, according to Crin they are the best FiiO so far and for 170 euros I could not let them escape and complete the couple with the FD5. :wink:
FH5 is such a comfort food, it has everything nice and tidy, someone told me once “they have such an odd tonality, they are annoying” i was just like: fh7 is the one with the weird unnatural tonality, fh5 simply is nice.

You are gonna love em, they are that friend in high school that gets along with everyone, never messes with any one, it makes you smile every time you see him. That’s for me my fh5.

May 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,094 of 1,891

FH5s is much better than what your reading. 2 things. Fiio themselves recommend a longer 200 hours of burn in for the FH5s. Beryllium plated dynamics a 12mm and a 6mm doing mids. Dual BAs. I have a review unit on hand and just know the initial reviews are from folks that didn't really give them the proper time.

The 2nd. Fiio is guilty of including with both the FD5 and the FH5s their monocrystalline silver plated cables. Very highly resolving cable. Monocrystalline has some very high resolving properties and then you add a silver coating on top of the strands and that is what these cables are. I understand what Fiio is going for but just know these cables absolutely don't match up well with both the FD5 and even more so the FH5s.

What them reviews are saying is what they hear out of the box for the most part. The FH5s becomes a different beast altogether with a good copper cable as crazy as that sound. I use the FD5 with an ISN GC4. Gold copper cables. The synergy with the FD5 is amazing. Will have to use this cable on the FH5s but FH5s is much better than what you and everyone else is reading about them In fact it does some things better than the FD5.

The mids on the FH5s is fiios best mids I have ever heard. This is after an extensive 200 plus hours of burn. For folks that don't believe in burn in or know nothing about cable rolling. Forget this message and you can affectively skip on the FH5s. For folks that are into optimizing every bit of sound from your earphones. FH5s easily competes even with Fiios own FD5.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #1,095 of 1,891
What I don't understand about Fiio is why they don't produce good copper cables like the D series or with interchangeable jacks, even aftermarket but they should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back