FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 1, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #1,051 of 1,891
After many hours of use (+100h) the FD5 got a lot smoother to the point where I reversed my treble eq of -2db.

I don't think it's my brain getting used to it because I listen to +4 headphones/speakers at this period.

I also re compared them to the Fearless S8 pro to make sure and here are my notes:

Fiio FD5 vs Fearless S8 pro (both EQed to sound neutral to my ears): FD5 is/has
  • A lot smoother and cleaner (treble especially)
  • More microdynamic
  • Less mids and treble macrodynamics
  • More bass tactility (slam)
  • Wider and deeper stage
  • Less precise imaging
  • More or atleast equal resolving
  • Denser and more organic
  • Duller treble attacks

The FD5 is crazy value when you eq the bass -2dB and the air by +2dB. That's my EQ setting right now and they sound amazing.
by air u mean frequencies above 6k ?

May 1, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,052 of 1,891
You guys think pairing FD5 with desktop dac/amps such as EarMen TR-amp as dac (I have it) + Topping A50s amp with 4.4 balanced output (can buy) will bring out the layering and soundstage in the FD5? I am not talking about tonality - it's there in spades with Lotoo PAW S1 & Sparrow (which I use currently with FD5); I feel that more powahh will unleash the true beast in the FD5. Or will these be overkill. Thoughts?
If you have everything at your disposal, why not straightaway trying it and let us know? Make sure to keep the volume knob of tr-amp at 0 before connecting the FD5 and playing any music.

May 1, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,053 of 1,891
May 1, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,054 of 1,891
So, 4 days with these...

1) soundstage is amazing, but it lacks height, i love how some instruments feel so far away, only other headphone to make my head turn like this is IMR RAH and sony xba z5, truly impressed.

2) mids are good, supremely good, i love how much detail they pack.

3) bass is good without any eq, dd hifi tc44b (everyone should get one of this... seriously a bargain for the price) which is known for “neutrality” (CS chipset so...) makes a lush, velvety bass with this ones, so enjoyable, its a pair made in heaven

4) treble has this nice extension, sometimes i feel it will throw a bite here and there, but it always controls itself.

5) layering and separation stands apart from its price range, sometimes it gets me mesmerized. The technology employed on this driver is something to be admired.

Overall; after keeping myself from getting this ones, they have a lively and impressive sq, fit for me is AMAZING.

Now the only “details” imc:

I need more bass, I’m an un closeted bass head, and seriously need my rumble (just like terry from B99 needs his mushu pork) i think this ones are tamed, lifting the subbass with boom 3d (iPhone user...) it does makes wonders and bass feels thunderous and MASSIVE, the fiio sound signature feel a wee conservative in this side, fh7 for example has this opportunity and again, super conservative.
1619882227103.png

By the way ime fd5’s and xelastecs are a no go... best pairing: cp145 and dunu stock tips (the dunu tips are actually the best fit for me, since they fit PERFECTLY in my ears, any iem with em feel like CIEMS, that’s just my case)

All in all, this can go as one of the best headphones out there for the price. And since I’m more a fan of single driver headphones... the only reason my fh7 and fh5 are sitting in my iem box its the ba’s, i just don’t appreciate ba’s anymore, though both of em are outstanding and the fh5 was my first audiophile headphone, ba’s are not my thing (sorry sony ier m9... again another example of a titan sitting in a box... i wont sell it though)

So... @FiiO is the fd7 going to be a 16mm single DD :D maaaan, when did we stopped loving massive drivers? I know, technology has come to make em smaller and more efficient, but whoever hasn’t put in a Sony ex1k and pull the bass up and eq the treble, they haven’t feel true power, its just this massive powerful speaker in your ear pushing air like there’s no tomorrow. The fd5 is a recall to this times... 4mm more next time... please :D

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #1,055 of 1,891
3 days into my newly purchased FD5, It's surprisingly comfortable for me. I went straight to using the Spinfit CP145. The CP100 fits fairly well but I'm able to sleep with the CP145 fitting ever since the first day and will continue to do so.

Before I go into the sound, I would like to note that I'm not so well versed in the sound technicality side of it but I'll try to explain it well.

Sound wise, I'm not gonna say much about it due to the burn-in period but so far, coming straight from the FH3, the first thing I noticed was the vocals taking a step back, but due to that, I'm able to hear details from all sides. I'm slowly understanding why reviewers and impressions are saying the FD5 is cohesive. Since I'm mainly listening to K-Pop with female vocals, I'm able to hear a touch of sibilance (ssss...) in some songs but it's not as bad as the Tin HiFi T3. For some reason, certain tracks that I thought would be uncomfortably "Shouty" turned out to be well controlled, for example IZ*ONE's "Secret Story of the Swan" and "Panorama" so that definitely gets a very huge plus for me.

Listening to LOONA's "Star" on the first day was a lil unbearable due to the drum beat. Treble I think? That snare, It was uncomfortable. I went back to listening to it today and that drum beat seems to be more controlled now and it's fairly comfortable to listen to again. Dreamcatcher's "Wind Blows" and "Black or White" are such bangers with the FD5. I expected these songs to have treble peaks and sibilance but nope. Everything was well controlled. I even tried to listen at a slightly higher volume and it doesn't peaked on me. Lastly, in EVERGLOW's "LA DI DA" and WJSN's "UNNATURAL", I'll for sure thought it'll be "Shouty" but it doesn't. The vocals are surprisingly the focus and felt crystal clear. It does sound like I'm underestimating the FD5 a lot hahaha.

That's my impressions so far. I'll probably give another impression next week or so and will focus on solo korean female songs. As of this moment, I've been binge listening/watching THE FIRST TAKE videos on youtube today and holy cow this is quite a wonderful experience so far with the FD5. Go try it out with your own FD5 or other iems! I'm learning quite a lot in terms of Soundstage and instrument separations in these videos. There's english subs as well!

This is a weird note but, in YOASOBI's "Gunjo" video that I shared below, in the first 15 seconds of the video, I can hear her bandmates's and crew's footsteps and grabbing their instruments with the FD5. I did not hear that in my FH3.

May 2, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #1,056 of 1,891
3 days into my newly purchased FD5, It's surprisingly comfortable for me. I went straight to using the Spinfit CP145. The CP100 fits fairly well but I'm able to sleep with the CP145 fitting ever since the first day and will continue to do so.

Before I go into the sound, I would like to note that I'm not so well versed in the sound technicality side of it but I'll try to explain it well.

Sound wise, I'm not gonna say much about it due to the burn-in period but so far, coming straight from the FH3, the first thing I noticed was the vocals taking a step back, but due to that, I'm able to hear details from all sides. I'm slowly understanding why reviewers and impressions are saying the FD5 is cohesive. Since I'm mainly listening to K-Pop with female vocals, I'm able to hear a touch of sibilance (ssss...) in some songs but it's not as bad as the Tin HiFi T3. For some reason, certain tracks that I thought would be uncomfortably "Shouty" turned out to be well controlled, for example IZ*ONE's "Secret Story of the Swan" and "Panorama" so that definitely gets a very huge plus for me.

Listening to LOONA's "Star" on the first day was a lil unbearable due to the drum beat. Treble I think? That snare, It was uncomfortable. I went back to listening to it today and that drum beat seems to be more controlled now and it's fairly comfortable to listen to again. Dreamcatcher's "Wind Blows" and "Black or White" are such bangers with the FD5. I expected these songs to have treble peaks and sibilance but nope. Everything was well controlled. I even tried to listen at a slightly higher volume and it doesn't peaked on me. Lastly, in EVERGLOW's "LA DI DA" and WJSN's "UNNATURAL", I'll for sure thought it'll be "Shouty" but it doesn't. The vocals are surprisingly the focus and felt crystal clear. It does sound like I'm underestimating the FD5 a lot hahaha.

That's my impressions so far. I'll probably give another impression next week or so and will focus on solo korean female songs. As of this moment, I've been binge listening/watching THE FIRST TAKE videos on youtube today and holy cow this is quite a wonderful experience so far with the FD5. Go try it out with your own FD5 or other iems! I'm learning quite a lot in terms of Soundstage and instrument separations in these videos. There's english subs as well!

This is a weird note but, in YOASOBI's "Gunjo" video that I shared below, in the first 15 seconds of the video, I can hear her bandmates's and crew's footsteps and grabbing their instruments with the FD5. I did not hear that in my FH3.

Give it a couple of days more, I bought a second hand one and the previous owner told me the unit had at least 80 hrs in, still treble is lively but controlled, hope that it ends up settling a wee more, it’s all about wearing the diaphragm or burning in the frequencies In your brain

May 2, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,057 of 1,891
By the way ime fd5’s and xelastecs are a no go...
Could you tell why they're a no go for you with the FD5?

I use the Xelastecs most of the time because they're just the most comfy tips out there for my ears.

I'm interested in the FD5 so I'm curious about that. And do others experienced the same with Xelastecs and FD5?

May 2, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,058 of 1,891

I use the Xelastecs most of the time because they're just the most comfy tips out there for my ears.

I'm interested in the FD5 so I'm curious about that. And do others experienced the same with Xelastecs and FD5?
They are easily the best single flange tips with the fd5 out of all that I tried, and I probably tried 30 different ones. I ended up going with the spin-fit dual flange tips, but I must have deep and large ear canals, because I usually end up with a dual/triple flange tip on most iems to get both a good seal and a secure fit that doesn't gradually lose seal and require constantly pushing them back in. But the xelastecs were the best singles.

May 2, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,059 of 1,891
Give it a couple of days more, I bought a second hand one and the previous owner told me the unit had at least 80 hrs in, still treble is lively but controlled, hope that it ends up settling a wee more, it’s all about wearing the diaphragm or burning in the frequencies In your brain
Yeah I will! I knew going in that I have to be patience with this iem and I really don't mind about it. So far, some songs are a lil too bright and the treble is peaking, while some songs that I expected it to be overly bright turned out to be controlled, so my ears are probably adjusting it to it's sound as well.

May 2, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,060 of 1,891

Imc they felt too bright, though I do believe that choosing tips is like shoe shopping, everyone has a taste and sometimes the same thing doesn’t fit the same way for others, I’m using right now final audio instrumentals with them and i think I’m settling more for this ones

May 3, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #1,061 of 1,891
copper.jpg

A new copper cable for my beloved Fd5 the Linsoul LSC08 much better than the original one to tame the treble peaks, and it is also very nice in my opinion.

May 3, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,063 of 1,891
copper.jpg

A new copper cable for my beloved Fd5 the Linsoul LSC08 much better than the original one to tame the treble peaks, and it is also very nice in my opinion.
Ordered it myself.
I'll have a listen to this constellation soon. :)
Thanks for heading up with.

Low price satisfaction is the best you can get, i think. ^^

May 4, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #1,064 of 1,891
It is time to recover, for those who do not have them, the FH5 on the official FiiO store on AE judged by Crinacle as the best FiiOs. For 174 euros they are a bargain, just taken to pair with my beloved FD5s. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back