FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,096 of 1,891
I was taking notes with the FH5s and a treble heavy tracks. And the difference is night and day. Stock cable vs my copper PAC480. It is shocking. The treble on the FH5s is produced by BAs so the good news there is cable effects are even greater on the FH5s. Treble becomes not only tolerable but actually sounds cohesive with the mids and bass. I can understand the marketing hype using my PAC480 cable. No so much the included monocrystalline cable. I never use the one that came with the FD5 as well.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,097 of 1,891
I will get back to this topic after my comparison.

But have to say that it depends on the listener what cable/iem sounds best to him/her.

For me, the FiiOs i own are somewhat complementary different to my headphones, and that is great. :)
I for me need the different presentations and approaches to enjoy the music i love and listen to and i'm glad there're so much choices out there.

Have a great day out there.
Chris

May 18, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #1,098 of 1,891
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 19, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,100 of 1,891
I was taking notes with the FH5s and a treble heavy tracks. And the difference is night and day. Stock cable vs my copper PAC480. It is shocking. The treble on the FH5s is produced by BAs so the good news there is cable effects are even greater on the FH5s. Treble becomes not only tolerable but actually sounds cohesive with the mids and bass. I can understand the marketing hype using my PAC480 cable. No so much the included monocrystalline cable. I never use the one that came with the FD5 as well.
You are putting the FH5s back on my potential buy list...

May 19, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,101 of 1,891
The FH5s has a lot going on for it and I can clearly understand the negative reviews for it. I have been working on my review so you might want to hold off a bit before I post it. I think they are a good sounding earphone at the price range but there are some factors that might sway you one way or another. You have to be ok with a frontal treble note. If you listen to a lot of rock or metal. It isnt that these cant do rock or metal but the issue there is tunes with a lot of crash symbols and high hats if prominent in the mix your gonna hear a whole heaping helping of that. ( This is assuming your gonna use the stock cable)

I keep on mentioning copper cables as a remedy but it is the easiest fix for the frontal treble these have. The quality of the treble is actually has good precision, crispness and of course BA timbre with a bit of a metallic hue to the tonal quality. The contrast from the smooth natural full mid range and a deep hitting bass to this treble is not the best when it comes to cohesion of tone and presenation.

This being said, mids and bass on the FH5s is superb especially after they get their time to run in. It is the area that gets overlooked due to the BA in the nozzle thing that is the point of contention.

If you listen to more than just Rock and Metal. These do amazingly well for Jazz. pop, RnB, hip hop, vocal, EDM sub genres and any other genre besides rock and metal. Not all rock tracks are like this it will depend on the recording. You have to be willing to be OK with a good break in and cable roll with your best copper cables to get the best out of the FH5s.

With a copper cable yes these are worth getting a set. If you are staunch on your belief that when you spend $250 for a earphone it should come out of the box as sound was intended. Don't plan on doing any burn in and don't have any beliefs in cable effects. I would pass.

Oh and I forgot. I do prefer my Shanling M6pro over the Fiio M15 for the FH5s. As it synergizes better with its slighly warmer tuning vs the more neutral balanced tuning of the M15. Sources, burn in, tips and cables. If you get all that. They are worth looking into.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #1,102 of 1,891
I just got the FD5 to complement the FH3, really loving them so far. Finally I get to properly utilise the balanced output of my BTR5. The sound is amazingly detailed and coherent and i absolutely love the bass. The IEMs look amazing and they fit me like a charm. I do have one question I have been wondering for a while now.
@FiiO why mmcx? Already the connection connection the left unit is more loose than the right one. I have seen your video on how to tighten it and I will once I have my tools, but I just don't understand why manufacturers choose mmcx over 2-pin (or someone comes up with something new all together) seeing how mmcx is such a fragile connector. Is there something mmcx does that a 2-pin doesn't do? Please enlighten me.
Thanks!

May 22, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #1,103 of 1,891
I just got the FD5 to complement the FH3, really loving them so far. Finally I get to properly utilise the balanced output of my BTR5. The sound is amazingly detailed and coherent and i absolutely love the bass. The IEMs look amazing and they fit me like a charm. I do have one question I have been wondering for a while now.
@FiiO why mmcx? Already the connection connection the left unit is more loose than the right one. I have seen your video on how to tighten it and I will once I have my tools, but I just don't understand why manufacturers choose mmcx over 2-pin (or someone comes up with something new all together) seeing how mmcx is such a fragile connector. Is there something mmcx does that a 2-pin doesn't do? Please enlighten me.
Thanks!
The only advantage I see with mmcx over 2-pin connectors, is that they are more universally compatible. That is, they dont have the different variations that 2-pin connectors have, from QDC,TFZ, forward/recessed connectors. So that is less of an issue when you are buying an mmcx cable, its just simply works with 99% of all mmcx iems out there, the same cant be said for 2-pin.

May 22, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,104 of 1,891
The only advantage I see with mmcx over 2-pin connectors, is that they are more universally compatible. That is, they dont have the different variations that 2-pin connectors have, from QDC,TFZ, forward/recessed connectors. So that is less of an issue when you are buying an mmcx cable, its just simply works with 99% of all mmcx iems out there, the same cant be said for 2-pin.
Yeah but that would be solved if everyone started using the same 2-pin. Now it seems like everyone is holding on to the same "less-than-ideal" connector just because the other kids are doing as well. I just don't see why manufacturers don't collectively say: this was it for mmcx, we're all moving on for the benefit of the customer. It has to either be cheaper or have some technical advantage right? Imagine a world where you could buy a nice pair of IEMs without the constant sense of immenent doom caused by that darn flimsy sorry excuse for a connector.
This rant isn't necessarily aimed at FiiO personally BTW, they are just the only IEMs with a mmcx so far where I felt strongly enough about to bother asking the question :p.

May 23, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #1,105 of 1,891
So my FH3 has the same "issue" where the left connector is more loose than the right one. I am using an aftermarket cable on the FH3 so I figured I'd try tightening the connector like @FiiO explains on their YouTube channel. However, I soon found that if I swap the cable of the left and right male mmcx, it's actually the earpiece that causes the connector to be a bit loose, not the male connector part on the cable. Not going to try all this out on the FD5 for now, everything is working fine and I'm afraid of breaking it myself lol.

May 24, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,106 of 1,891
Thanks!

Dear friend,

MMCX and 0.78 two-pin interface have their own advantages and disadvantages. We also have other headphones with MMCX interface, which can be purchased according to your needs.And if the problem with your headphone still remains, you could contact support@fiio.com or the local seller for help.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 27, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #1,107 of 1,891
- Kalnet's As A Kpop Listener Check-In -

Hi! Welcome to my final check-in and overall thoughts of the FD5! For starters, I would like to say that I love the FD5 and it's an IEM that I'm gonna be using for a long time! Thank you to those who have read my check-ins this past month! I'm not sure if I have helped on your decision of purchasing an FD5 or not, but this is, at the end of the day, my honest impressions and thoughts of this particular iem. So before I get started, I bought this IEM mainly for listening KPOP songs. Other genres are usually secondary so if you're looking for impressions in other music genres, I did one in my previous check-in here. I don't think this will be a very long check-in but we'll see! For perspective, here are the iems that I have used over the years until the FD5:

TFZ Exclusive 1 (2017) > TFZ No.3 (2020) > Tin HiFi T3 (2021) > Moondrop Starfield (2021) > Fiio FH3 (2021) > Fiio FD5 (Present).

My ears seems to be accustomed to the V-shape sounding due to using TFZ iems longer, so my listens may differ from yours. I find the FD5 more of an upgrade from the TFZ No.3 than the FH3 for me so when I was listening on the FD5, I became quite familiarised with it's sound fairly quickly more than the T3, Starfield, and FH3.

Audio Source - Sony NW-A55 (MrWalkman DMP-A50 FEv2 (plus))
Listening volume - 63/120
Tips - Spinfit CP145 (M)
Cable - FD5 Stock

Links to my FD5 impressions and check-ins:

- First Impressions
- 2nd Check-in
- 3rd Check-in

As of this posting, the burn-in period should be about 180+ hours. Does it have any sound changes after my last check-in? No. It sounded exactly the same as a week ago. In terms of burn-in, I found the most "Night & Day" sound changes to be after a week of purchasing it and it slowly changes in the 2nd week. Treble was definitely more tamed and comfortable to listen to. Soundstage opens up a bunch and vocals sounded more natural and crystal clear. Bass is amazing as well but I would like to add that I'm not a
basshead so for those who likes bass may have more insight than I do. The past few check-ins, I always complained about Vocal Sibilance and unfortunately nothing has change after my previous check-in. LOONA's "Hi High" still has vocal sibilance in the upper-midrange and those (ssss..) are definitely present throughout the song. WENDY's 'When This Rain Stops' while it's less vocal sibilant, it's pretty much still present and that's very unfortunate. I even tried playing it on my Vivo phone which has an AK4377A DAC and even on a normal laptop (Macbook) audio source, the vocal sibilance is still very much present. It was all played in normal to below listening volume. I may have very sensitive hearing to these sibilance so from your end, you may not hear it at all. Fortunately! The rest of my KPOP music library doesn't have these sibilance. So far, only about 10% of my KPOP music library has vocal sibilance.

Rocket Punch "Ring Ring" sounded amazing with no vocal sibilance at all. For a synthwave-style Kpop song, the treble and those crashes just felt controlled. It's enjoyable from start to finish. Slower songs like Solar's "Happy People" sounded great as well. Her vocals and the instruments doesn't overshadowed one another. Her vocals goes naturally forward when it wants to and it works like a charm. An even slower, calmer song from Solar's "Alone People" really focuses on her Vocal lows and the FD5 really helps her vocals shined. The instruments backing up with her vocals really works well and it shows that her vocals are the focus of the song. This is one of the tracks that made me increase my listening volume a ton and there were no distortion at all.

Lee Jin Ah "RUN (with GRAY) focuses more on the dreamy bass and the keyboard. The male vocals feels great but somehow the female vocals felt a bit behind? recessed? It's weird. I decided to listen to her other songs like "I'm Full" & "RANDOM" and she sounded great. Her piano solos really brings out some of the best the FD5 have to offer. Jazz works super well with the FD5 in general and going along with some Kpop Jazz, you're in for a wonderful treat.

When I tune into some City Pop, YUKIKA's "NEON" and "SOUL LADY", they sounded naturally great despite digging into the 80s style. The vocals in "SOUL LADY" does sound a lil bit more behind than "NEON" so it shows that the midrange vocal-wise, the FD5 takes a step back. Other City Pop-style tracks like IU "LILAC" focuses more on her Vocals and unlike YUKIKA, IU's vocal felt more natural here with the FD5. When I tried to listen to a higher volume, it can introduce to a bit of sibilance, but when listening on normal listening volume, it was fine.

Let's go to some Korean Drama OSTs. Jinsoul's 'As Time Goes' and Chuu's 'Spring Flower' works wonderful with the FD5. There were no vocal sibilance at all and it's very enjoyable to listen to. TAEYEON's 'All about you', Gummy's 'Remember me', CHUNGHA's 'At the end', and Heize's 'Can You See My Heart' from Korean Drama 'Hotel Del Luna' just works perfectly with the FD5. I thought it's gonna give me some sibilance since some solo Korean tracks have them but I'm amazed how Korean Drama OSTs provides everything the FD5 can handle. Personally, I rarely listen to Korean Drama OSTs but after using the FD5, it's been great listening to some OSTs again.

Lastly, going into modern Kpop songs! Recently released EVERGLOW "FIRST" is just straight up fire with the FD5. Listening to just straight up lively Kpop songs like this really makes me glad to have bought the FD5. ITZY's '마.피.아. In the morning' is one strange track but the FD5 highlights the Vocals and bass really well. No complains here. The groovy bass-focused WJSN THE BLACK "Easy" doesn't overshadow one another. Their vocals and the instruments that focuses on the bass works really well together. This also helps me understand more on why the FD5 excels at being cohesive. IU's 'Coin' also brings out the best of the FD5. While it sounded sibilant the first time, it slowly became one of my favourite songs to listen to with the FD5. It brings out all the details you need to hear in this track.

I don't really listen to a lot of male Kpop tracks but there are some that I can highlight. When listening to iKON "LOVE SCENARIO" the first time with the FD5, there was a touch of sibilance but after going back into the song after a week, all that problems disappeared for me and it became quite enjoyable. WINNER 'REALLY REALLY' almost felt like it's gonna have a treble peak but it didn't. It's just smooth sailing all the way. Last but not least, SHINee's '1 of 1'. It's a pretty treble heavy track but I find this particular track to be a wonderful example of how amazing the FD5 can be. It showcases their melodically vocals, soundstage, trebles and bass. When their vocals goes into the highs, it doesn't go sibilant on me at all. This track and the FD5 just works amazingly well together and it has been on my repeats for the past 2 weeks now after revisiting this song. A definite recommended song if you have an FD5 with you right now or not.

In conclusion? As a Kpop listener, it's a wonderful IEM to have! Despite having some vocal sibilant troubles in some songs, as an overall package, you can't go wrong with this IEM if you're only listening to Kpop. As for female solo Korean songs, you may need to try it out on your own to check if it suits your needs. From my end, Korean OSTs works great with the FD5. In terms of burn-in, I feel the most changed after a week of using it. While some songs vocal-wise felt like a step back, when there are songs that focuses more on the vocals, the midrange really shines so it depends on the song that you are listening to. With the Kpop songs that I've been listening to? The midrange feels naturally great.

That's about it! Thank you so much for reading if you have read all of my check-ins! I doubt I'll be buying any iems since the FD5 is here to stay with me for a long time. When you find an iem that is fun to listen to, you're in it for the long haul! I'm not sure if my posts are any of help if you're currently deciding on the FD5 or not, but I hope it does! Lastly, Thank you so much especially to RikudouGoku and a few others who have recommended me the FD5 while I was in a midst of exchanging my broken Starfield a month ago. The FD5, for the most part, is perfect for me as a Kpop listener! Once again, thank you so much for reading. Until then, take care and stay safe!

Once more, time to make the FD5 scream.​

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #1,108 of 1,891
Does Fh5s reach the level of Fd5 with the copper cable? In terms of bass, mids and sound stage width and depth.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #1,109 of 1,891
Hey,

I want to buy some custom In Ear tips from Custom Art and the need to know the nozzle size of the larger tubes of the FD5.
On the Fiio website says "the outer diameter is 5.8mm, suit 4-5mm ear tips" so I'm not sure which exact size I should tell Custom Art.

4.5mm? Or something different?

Thanks for your help.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,110 of 1,891
4.5 is the average, even from the supplied tips of the FD5, which varies from 4 to 5 mm for the standard nozzle.

Vocal and balanced ear tips are ~4mm.
Bass tips are ~ 4.5 and the foam tips are nearly 5mm. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back