FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #947 of 1,891
#Questionnaire# In terms of the MMCX connector of the earphone cable, which design do you like the most, the L-shaped or the straight type? Please take a vote by choosing one of the following designs. Thank you so much for your time and advice.
1. Straight MMCX connector
Pros: more appropriate to use metal material showing better textures.
Cons: the cable length might look over-long when wearing the earphones; harder to plug and unplug the connector.
2. Arc-shaped MMCX connector
Pros: the cable length would be more appropriate; it would fit your ears in an attractive manner with the over-the-ear type; easier to pull it off from the earphone units.
Cons: difficult to use metal materials

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615065175446865/
arc shaped

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #948 of 1,891
#Questionnaire# In terms of the MMCX connector of the earphone cable, which design do you like the most, the L-shaped or the straight type? Please take a vote by choosing one of the following designs. Thank you so much for your time and advice.
Cons: the cable length might look over-long when wearing the earphones; harder to plug and unplug the connector.
Pros: the cable length would be more appropriate; it would fit your ears in an attractive manner with the over-the-ear type; easier to pull it off from the earphone units.

Facebook

Don't do screwbook, but answers below..,

1. Straight
2. No arc

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #949 of 1,891
FiiO has always been an interesting company to me... One that I was aware of from their first product (that small white plastic portable amplifier) from so many years ago.

It's a company that I really really want to love: Their products are widely available, priced extremely fairly, and look damn good, you seldom see a company able to achieve all three.

But I just can't love them, because their house signature sound isn't what I like.

For eg I love their the DAPs' interfaces because they are android-based, and they are able to sort my Chinese titled songs by hanyu pinyin. But I always find the sound signature to be slightly too warm and too bassy compared to my other gear.

(My present DAP is the FiiO X7 but with the AM3D THX AAA module so that's not really the FiiO house sound)

I've tried a few of their IEMs here and there but none has been able to excite me.

So when I went to try the FD5 over the weekend, I'll say that my expectation wasn't that high.

Simple gear: Source is X7 with AM3D, and the Drop JVC FDX1 for comparison, since it's my current daily driver.

TLDR: I was seriously impressed with the FD5. It hews closer to my ideal sound preferences than the FDX1, not surprising since FiiO tried to tune it closely to the Harman curve.

Looking at the whole package, the IEM is very well priced; other than the IEM, the cable comes with swappable plugs (no need to buy additional balanced or SE cables!) as well as a MMCX removal tool, which should help to increase the longevity of the plugs (hopefully).

To put my money where my mouth is, I am planning to get a FD5, but I will need to sell something first before I can get it.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #951 of 1,891
I recently purchased a pair of Fiio FD5 IEMs from Amazon and I am impressed with the sound quality. I’ve paired them with my Sony WM1A and the sound quality is sublime. They are very clear with great bass texture and massive soundstage for an IEM and the mids and highs are good too. I’ve still to test them with the balance 4.4mm adapter but so far I am loving these beauties.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #952 of 1,891
Received mine just today, I had some pretty high expectations but I was not expecting them to sound this good. I have to say I really like the cable and I'm usually a fan of the brightly colored/silver cable look but these are a big exception, and I do love the interchangeable terminations.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #953 of 1,891

Facebook

Sorry, I don't do social media.

i prefer 2-pin at the IEM and L-shaped plug at the input end.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #959 of 1,891
I was abit surprised to see it with a C+ rating on the Crinacle iem ranking list. I hope that doesn't deter anyone from trying these out.
Does he publish any more in depth explanation for each rating (I mean I doubt it.. There's so many of them)? The ratings for so many models are really unexpected

Users who are viewing this thread

Back