FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #976 of 1,891
Which tips are you using?

I'm switching between Xelastecs and Spiral Dots because, for me, they're the most comfortable ones with the FD5. Soundwise I prefer the Final E tips.

SpinFit CP145.

I've tried the following tips:

- Acoustune AET07
- Acoustune AET08
- Azla SednaEarFit (Regular version)
- SpinFit CP100
- Symbio Peel
- Stock Balanced
- Stock Vocal

The SpinFit CP145 are by far the best of the lot. Incredibly airy, transparent, and open sounding. Zero upper-midrange or treble harshness, and extremely refined, well-extended, and well-articulated upper-treble.

I have the Final E too, but have yet to try them with the FD5. From experience, they tend to narrow the soundstage, and result in a noticeably less airy, closed-in presentation.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #979 of 1,891
Apr 4, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #980 of 1,891
I'm building out a measurements database, and while updating my FD5 graphs I figured I'd play around with tips on the narrow nozzles. The narrow choke off some of the top end of FD5, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as the earphone is a bit bright in the lower treble otherwise. However, the narrow nozzles don't really fit most of the supplied tips, and I take it Fiio expects you to use the supplied 3-flange "Fildos" tips. I did not find them comfortable, nor did I find the trade off in sound really worth it.

graph - 2021-04-04T125415.002.png

But I do have some more normal tips made for narrow nozzles, including Shure silicone tips, as well as some Brainwavz tips. Both fit the FD5's narrow nozzles well, though the Shure tips have an exceptionally narrow bore, which further squeezes the top end. It sounds pretty weird.

graph - 2021-04-04T125845.543.png

The Brainwavz tips, however... they're not half bad! They're still somewhat narrow bore, but definitely wider than the Shure tips. And instead of further cutting off the top end (vs. the Fildos), the Brainwavz actually let in a bit more. It's enough that the bright edge of the earphone is relaxed and, IMO, this is a more enjoyable form of the FD5.

graph - 2021-04-04T125421.557.png

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #983 of 1,891
QC ( control quality ) on Fiio products its not good at all ( exactly the same its happen with my FA7 and after a period of time its stop working right). Left side of iem , is loose on mmcx . Its not sturdy like the right side. After 3 weeks of usage ?? Common Fiio .Do something about that , because FD5 its a marvelous , stellar pair of iem.

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #984 of 1,891
QC ( control quality ) on Fiio products its not good at all ( exactly the same its happen with my FA7 and after a period of time its stop working right). Left side of iem , is loose on mmcx . Its not sturdy like the right side. After 3 weeks of usage ?? Common Fiio .Do something about that , because FD5 its a marvelous , stellar pair of iem.
@gadgetgod

And there went my enthusiam for FH5S...

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #987 of 1,891
Glad my experience has been the exact opposite of this, although I have never removed the stock cable.

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #989 of 1,891
Im mad . After 3 weeks , my FD5 its dead . Left side. And too bad , because FD5 its on par with Hifiman Arya in teerms of sound . I know because i have Arya. That good is FD5 , but QC its indesirable.
Claim replacement under warranty, i guess it's still there. @FiiO please look into this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back