FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #91 of 1,891
I received mine today and they are definitely offering a great sound for the price.

While I don't feel qualified to talk about technical aspects of the sound I can confirm that there is no noticable sound bleeding and despite being quite heavy (build quality is amazing) they are very comfortable.

IMG_20201219_172506.jpg

IMG_20201219_170651__01.jpg

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #93 of 1,891
Update - well I woke up today realized that I was playing with XBass on with my iDSD Signature, that’s how I came to the conclusion of “a hint of warmth” and “deep bass”. Without it, FD5 sounds very neutral to me. I edited my previous post and sorry if I misled you!

But I had to say, with XBass on, FD5 really sounds great; without it, it’s now slightly bass light for my taste, and probably on the lean/ thin side. But I’m a fan of warm and dark sound with elevated bass, so you may love this neutral sound.

Some pics:
18961FC2-3517-4399-A6B7-D0CA54B1758A.jpeg

Both of my new toys for the holiday:
8CC6DD03-5BC9-4745-914F-70E927E837A4.jpeg

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #94 of 1,891
Update - well I woke up today realized that I was playing with XBass on with my iDSD Signature, that’s how I came to the conclusion of “a hint of warmth” and “deep bass”. Without it, FD5 sounds very neutral to me. I edited my previous post and sorry if I misled you!

But I had to say, with XBass on, FD5 really sounds great; without it, it’s now slightly bass light for my taste, and probably on the lean/ thin side. But I’m a fan of warm and dark sound with elevated bass, so you may love this neutral sound.

Some pics:
18961FC2-3517-4399-A6B7-D0CA54B1758A.jpeg

Both of my new toys for the holiday:
8CC6DD03-5BC9-4745-914F-70E927E837A4.jpeg
I see you have the Sony N3. I take it those have more bass quantity than the FD5 got?

Are you using the balanced config and not the bass boosted config on the FD5?

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #95 of 1,891
Really glad to hear it is comfortable and doesn't give you that vaccuum feeling in your head. I hate that feeling from some iems.
Yes, especially for some IEMs of super small size, it’s either the vacuum feeling or doesn’t seal, and I had to go with the foam tips.. Glad FD5 has found a perfect size to have the ear hold it steady but not too big to cause discomfort - at least for my ears.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #96 of 1,891
No words about soundstage ? It is a « semi open » design.

Is T8iE better sounding (more musical, bigger sound) ? I’m looking at Xelento.
Love the impressions! I am placing an order as soon as the Ali express store gets them in stock.

Btw comparisons to the t8ie would be great. Which one do you find to have better technicallities, details and vocals?
Side by side with T8iE MkII:
839E463A-DCFE-4A59-931C-8454353A6ED5.jpeg

I’m listening to T8iE with comply tips and copper cable, so my T8iE may be slightly warmer/ darker.

I think T8iE have very different sound character from FD5: T8iE is slightly V-shaped, especially with the bass significantly boosted; FD5 is neutral, or maybe slightly mid-centric (really just slightly), with slight roll-off on both ends. T8iE is warmer and thicker, have better extension on both sides, and is the more technical-capable one - that’s expected given the huge price difference. But I’m probably not the right person to compare the two, because T8iE is my all-time favorite IEM (I never had any IEM over $1000), so it’s not a fair game here..

As for the soundstage, I’m not an experienced listener to describe it - I can only say that FD5 sounds spacious and not congested, but not as wide as the likes of Andromeda.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #98 of 1,891
Any driver flex and how much sound leakage ?
Can’t say.. I’m a low volume listener and never had these worries; sorry.
I see you have the Sony N3. I take it those have more bass quantity than the FD5 got?

Are you using the balanced config and not the bass boosted config on the FD5?
Yes N3 definitely has more bass, but technically FD5 is the better IEM.

I’m listening from the 4.4 output from iDSD Signature, but it’s not authentic balanced as far as I know; yes I haven’t tried the bass boosted config on FD5 yet - had some terrible experiences with those Etymotic-like tips and can’t brace myself to try it again!

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #99 of 1,891
Can’t say.. I’m a low volume listener and never had these worries; sorry.

Yes N3 definitely has more bass, but technically FD5 is the better IEM.

I’m listening from the 4.4 output from iDSD Signature, but it’s not authentic balanced as far as I know; yes I haven’t tried the bass boosted config on FD5 yet - had some terrible experiences with those Etymotic-like tips and can’t brace myself to try it again!
Is the bass boosted configs nozzle too small for normal tips? Do you have to use their triple flanges tips for it?

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #100 of 1,891
Is the bass boosted configs nozzle too small for normal tips? Do you have to use their triple flanges tips for it?
The FD5 includes 2 sound tubes which are changeable.
1.Large sound tube (preinstalled on FD5): the outer diameter is 5.8mm, suit 4-5mm ear tips.
2.Small sound tube (included in accessories): the outer diameter is 4.0mm, suit 2.0-3.5mm ear tips.
The large sound tube is balanced, while the small sound tube presents a lively, more bass-focused sound.
*The small sound tube should be used with the triple-flange ear tips, for deeper insertion and better sound quality.

Best regards

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #101 of 1,891
@lgcubana I have seen that. But I thought it was a recommendation rather than a must lol.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #103 of 1,891
Side by side with T8iE MkII:

I’m listening to T8iE with comply tips and copper cable, so my T8iE may be slightly warmer/ darker.

I think T8iE have very different sound character from FD5: T8iE is slightly V-shaped, especially with the bass significantly boosted; FD5 is neutral, or maybe slightly mid-centric (really just slightly), with slight roll-off on both ends. T8iE is warmer and thicker, have better extension on both sides, and is the more technical-capable one - that’s expected given the huge price difference. But I’m probably not the right person to compare the two, because T8iE is my all-time favorite IEM (I never had any IEM over $1000), so it’s not a fair game here..

As for the soundstage, I’m not an experienced listener to describe it - I can only say that FD5 sounds spacious and not congested, but not as wide as the likes of Andromeda.
I'm especially interested in the vocals. I remember that @surfgeorge used to do the t8ie MK2 and fd02 comparisons stating he preferred the vocals of the fd02 which is basically the fdx1 that I own. How does the vocals of the fd5 compare to t8ie in terms of conveying emotions and details?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #104 of 1,891
I'm especially interested in the vocals. I remember that @surfgeorge used to do the t8ie MK2 and fd02 comparisons stating he preferred the vocals of the fd02 which is basically the fdx1 that I own. How does the vocals of the fd5 compare to t8ie in terms of conveying emotions and details?
Well I have to admit that I don’t have the trained ears to answer this, so here’s just my very personal thoughts: speaking of details, I feel these two IEMs do not differ very much technically in the mid range; but FD5 sounds like the mid range stands out among all frequencies, while T8iE has better low-end frequencies to back it up - which better conveys emotion may depends on personal preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back