FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #62 of 1,891
Lol every 10 seconds I find myself coming back to the Ali express purchase page with my finger ready to bop that damnn familiar 'buy it now' button but hold myself back thinking of the potentially great upcoming dunu titan model aswell. I hate it when I'm stuck in 2 minds.
DUNU ZEN has been announced already and will be released end of this month šŸ˜Š

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #63 of 1,891
Hi @FiiO what size is the smaller bass focused sound tube?

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #66 of 1,891
I should be getting a set soon for review. I will most definitely post out of box sound and do a write up for it. Looking forward to hearing these.

I am looking forward to your impressions.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #67 of 1,891
I should get them in around 2 weeks as well, look forward to it

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #68 of 1,891
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #69 of 1,891
Got mine yesterday! Only a few hours in and Iā€™m not getting enough sleep this week so donā€™t take my impressions too serious!

First impressions: technically itā€™s very strong at this price, very strong. The sound is neutral with a slight hint of warmth; bass is fast and clean, not overpowering, but deep and youā€™ll feel the presence when itā€™s there - I say tastefully done; mid range is transparent and articulate, high mid not as prominent as the Harman curve suggests, which is good; treble is clear but smooth and non-fatiguing, without noticeable peaks, not sibilant, not as airy as the likes of Andromeda, but I donā€™t find the treble lacking. Overall, neutral/ natural sound character, even across the spectrum, with non-fatiguing treble.

I donā€™t have a lot of DD IEMs to compare to, so all I can say is this is not as warm as T8iE MkII and not as bassy as E5000 - pretty useless comparison I guess? Compared with my previous FiiO IEM - FA7, this has improved almost in every way - technicality, sound character, even comfort.

Speaking of comfort, amazingly, FD5 is very comfortable despite of the form factor, but I can imagine it may not be as comfortable for people with very small ears - for reference I have slightly smaller than average ears and can at most endure Andromeda for one album. If the edge of the faceplate was smoother it would be one of the most comfortable IEMs.

And the greatest thing of the form factor is that, it stays in your ear secure and effortlessly, never need to readjust it. Also despite of being DD with vents on the faceplate, it manages to block the outside noise amazingly well - thanks to the form factor, itā€™s very easy to get a good seal, without the slightest ā€œvacuumā€ feeling in your ear. I can never stand that feeling so Iā€™m almost exclusively using Comply foams, but with FD5 Iā€™m comfortable with SpinFit - amazing!

The cable is beautiful and premium looking. Being able to switch between 3.5 and 4.4 (and 2.5) is very convenient, though swapping plugs are not as easy as with the previous FiiO 3-plug cable, but Iā€™ll take straight plug over L-shaped plug any day.

Iā€™ll try post some photos tomorrow! Itā€™s late at night here and I donā€™t think the light could do justice to the beauty!

Edit: I woke up today realized that I was listening with my iFi iDSD Microā€™s XBass on last night.. I guess thatā€™s why I heard a hint of warmth and felt the deep bass. Without XBass, FD5 sounds very neutral to me.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #70 of 1,891
Got mine yesterday! Only a few hours in and Iā€™m not getting enough sleep this week so donā€™t take my impressions too serious!

First impressions: technically itā€™s very strong at this price, very strong. The sound is neutral with a slight hint of warmth; bass is fast and clean, not overpowering, but deep and youā€™ll feel the presence when itā€™s there - I say tastefully done; mid range is transparent and articulate, high mid not as prominent as the Harman curve suggests, which is good; treble is clear but smooth and non-fatiguing, without noticeable peaks, not sibilant, not as airy as the likes of Andromeda, but I donā€™t find the treble lacking. Overall, neutral/ natural sound character, even across the spectrum, with non-fatiguing treble.

I donā€™t have a lot of DD IEMs to compare to, so all I can say is this is not as warm as T8iE MkII and not as gassy as E5000 - pretty useless comparison I guess? Compared with my previous FiiO IEM - FA7, this has improved almost in every way - technicality, sound character, even comfort.

Speaking of comfort, amazingly, FD5 is very comfortable despite of the form factor, but I can imagine it may not be as comfortable for people with very small ears - for reference I have slightly smaller than average ears and can at most endure Andromeda for one album. If the edge of the faceplate was smoother it would be one of the most comfortable IEMs.

And the greatest thing of the form factor is that, it stays in your ear secure and effortlessly, never need to readjust it. Also despite of being DD with vents on the faceplate, it manages to block the outside noise amazingly well - thanks to the form factor, itā€™s very easy to get a good seal, without the slightest ā€œvacuumā€ feeling in your ear. I can never stand that feeling so Iā€™m almost exclusively using Comply foams, but with FD5 Iā€™m comfortable with SpinFit - amazing!

The cable is beautiful and premium looking. Being able to switch between 3.5 and 4.4 (and 2.5) is very convenient, though swapping plugs are not as easy as with the previous FiiO 3-plug cable, but Iā€™ll take straight plug over L-shaped plug any day.

Iā€™ll try post some photos tomorrow! Itā€™s late at night here and I donā€™t think the light could do justice to the beauty!
You are making me drool over it.....cant wait to get mine!

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #71 of 1,891
You are making me drool over it.....cant wait to get mine!

I donā€™t have a lot of DD IEMs to compare to, so all I can say is this is not as warm as T8iE MkII and not as gassy as E5000 - pretty useless comparison I guess? Compared with my previous FiiO IEM - FA7, this has improved almost in every way - technicality, sound character, even comfort.

Really glad to hear it is comfortable and doesn't give you that vaccuum feeling in your head. I hate that feeling from some iems.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #72 of 1,891

No words about soundstage ? It is a Ā« semi open Ā» design.

Is T8iE better sounding (more musical, bigger sound) ? Iā€™m looking at Xelento.

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #73 of 1,891
I just wish it was 2 pin

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #74 of 1,891

I donā€™t have a lot of DD IEMs to compare to, so all I can say is this is not as warm as T8iE MkII and not as bassy as E5000 - pretty useless comparison I guess? Compared with my previous FiiO IEM - FA7, this has improved almost in every way - technicality, sound character, even comfort.

Love the impressions! I am placing an order as soon as the Ali express store gets them in stock.

Btw comparisons to the t8ie would be great. Which one do you find to have better technicallities, details and vocals?

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #75 of 1,891
I just wish it was 2 pin
If you want to use your 2 pin cables then just order this from the cema store...

Screenshot_20201216-021906749.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back