FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #721 of 1,891

Almost but not quite there.

I have both S8F and FD5
S8F bass is FANTASTIC but it's not match for dymamic inside of FD5.

Feb 10, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #722 of 1,891
Though I liked the FD5 out of the box, and more so after burn in, I am one who likes tinkering. So I tried swapping the cable for a copper cable (this), tried the narrow nozzle and tried all the stop tips. For the most part I felt that I was loosing something when making changes from the out-of-the-box setup. So I kept the stock cable, since I swear I hear faster attacks and better texture with it (placebo?), and I also kept the wider nozzles that have that nice crispiness up top.

Today though, while experimenting with some new cp145 Spinfit tips in my IEM collection, I gave them a go on the FD5 and was mesmerized: to my ears the mids were more resolving, bass was better integrated with the other frequency ranges, imaging was better... I had arrived! I wasn't really counting on it, seeming as the cp145 did not make much of a difference in most of my other IEMs, which for the most part already have decently matching tips.

It really is interesting how the FD5 keeps getting good impressions of people using it with such different configurations (nozzles, cables, tips). It really is an IEM to make your own.

Feb 10, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #723 of 1,891
I'll say this.

The ML-sized Xelastecs on these are STUNNING. That seems to be the winner here. They aren't meant to drive deep, so sitting right at the rim with these and the wide bores is helping.

Feb 10, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #724 of 1,891
Though I liked the FD5 out of the box, and more so after burn in, I am one who likes tinkering. So I tried swapping the cable for a copper cable (this), tried the narrow nozzle and tried all the stop tips. For the most part I felt that I was loosing something when making changes from the out-of-the-box setup. So I kept the stock cable, since I swear I hear faster attacks and better texture with it (placebo?), and I also kept the wider nozzles that have that nice crispiness up top.

Today though, while experimenting with some new cp145 Spinfit tips in my IEM collection, I gave them a go on the FD5 and was mesmerized: to my ears the mids were more resolving, bass was better integrated with the other frequency ranges, imaging was better... I had arrived! I wasn't really counting on it, seeming as the cp145 did not make much of a difference in most of my other IEMs, which for the most part already have decently matching tips.

It really is interesting how the FD5 keeps getting good impressions of people using it with such different configurations (nozzles, cables, tips). It really is an IEM to make your own.
Your comments illustrate one of the reasons why this pair of IEM will be so difficult to review. If I can add one more tidbit they also respond extremely well to EQ. At the end of the day users are going to have to experiment with these IEM’s and if you’re patient I think most will be really happy with the outcome.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #725 of 1,891
The amount of bass seems to vary considerably between tracks with the different nozzles, and different playback set-ups.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #726 of 1,891

Absolutely agree. The stock tips must not be used with them at all, they have very small diameter stem and kill the sound of the IEM. I have a huge tips collection and found them sounding night and day with wide bore harder silicone tips like Symbio W or IKKO OH10's. Especially when you drive them with mid forward source like Qdelix 5K, way much better comparing to BTR5 and M11Pro. FD5 rival my U12T for the enjoyment level. That incredible driver speed puts them in DD IEM end game. Fiio did phenomenal job developing the IEM but the stock tips didn't work for me, they are also smaller than L size of other brands, similar to what IMR comes with, and then many people are missing the mids which FD5 has plenty of but with right tips.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #727 of 1,891
Absolutely agree. The stock tips must not be used with them at all, they have very small diameter stem and kill the sound of the IEM. I have a huge tips collection and found them sounding night and day with wide bore harder silicone tips like Symbio W or IKKO OH10's. Especially when you drive them with mid forward source like Qdelix 5K, way much better comparing to BTR5 and M11Pro. FD5 rival my U12T for the enjoyment level. That incredible driver speed puts them in DD IEM end game. Fiio did phenomenal job developing the IEM but the stock tips didn't work for me, they are also smaller than L size of other brands, similar to what IMR comes with, and then many people are missing the mids which FD5 has plenty of but with right tips.
That sounds awesome. What other wide bore tips would you recommend?

Feb 11, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #728 of 1,891

cp145s have the same nozzle diameter as the stock balanced tips.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #730 of 1,891
IMG_0078.jpeg

First impression right out of the box, no burn-in, stock cable, tips and nozzle.

They sound great. More spacious than the FH3, it fells also like more bass (quality and quantity), mids are very pleasant, treble no peaky or harsh in any sence. Sometimes it feels I could need a bit more spark and bite. Sometimes a bit tinny (can't describe it better). So overall a better IEM than the FH3, but listening to my favorite songs, FH3 is still a little bit more fun, more engaging in some way. Like there's something missing in the upper range.

But let's see how they sound after 100-200h burn-in. Anyhow a great sounding IEM. And very comfortable, better than FH3 for my ears.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #731 of 1,891
IMG_0078.jpeg

First impression right out of the box, no burn-in, stock cable, tips and nozzle.

They sound great. More spacious than the FH3, it fells also like more bass (quality and quantity), mids are very pleasant, treble no peaky or harsh in any sence. Sometimes it feels I could need a bit more spark and bite. Sometimes a bit tinny (can't describe it better). So overall a better IEM than the FH3, but listening to my favorite songs, FH3 is still a little bit more fun, more engaging in some way. Like there's something missing in the upper range.

But let's see how they sound after 100-200h burn-in. Anyhow a great sounding IEM. And very comfortable, better than FH3 for my ears.

Give yourself some time to adjust to the new sound. After a little while you won't be able to go back. These REALLY remind me of the Audioquest Nighthawk in a way.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #732 of 1,891
Give yourself some time to adjust to the new sound. After a little while you won't be able to go back. These REALLY remind me of the Audioquest Nighthawk in a way.
I will test them and gonna make an a/b-comparison with the FH3 after the burn-in. With every song they get better. And the typical Fiio-bass is so addicting. :)

But I don't need more of the bass. Read that the FD5 is less in bass quantity of the FH3, for me personally it's not the case. In any case a step up in almost every aspect.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #733 of 1,891
I will test them and gonna make an a/b-comparison with the FH3 after the burn-in. With every song they get better. And the typical Fiio-bass is so addicting. :)

But I don't need more of the bass. Read that the FD5 is less in bass quantity of the FH3, for me personally it's not the case. In any case a step up in almost every aspect.

Tips might make a difference there. I really love the stock mediums but something wide-bore can help tone it down a touch if need be.

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #734 of 1,891
Tips might make a difference there. I really love the stock mediums but something wide-bore can help tone it down a touch if need be.
Yeah, gonna do this on the weekend. I know a few of the stock tips of the FH3 (liked the bass tips, they were very comfy) and I have Final E, Spiral Dot and Xelastec here. Spinfit CP100 and CP145 should arrive next week.

Cable seems quite nice, I have KBear Rhyme and a NiceHCK OCC copper cable here but I don't see the need of changing it. Sometimes I have some problems with the earhooks but not with the stock cable. And it matches perfectly in my eyes, the silver metal and the white cable with the shells of the FD5.

Edit: Listening now with Final E tips and over Qudelix 5K to GoGo Penguin. Wow. Blown away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back