FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #706 of 1,891
Would you recommend to change the cable or is it good? Read something that changing the cable makes a big difference with the FD5.

And are you using the smaller or the bigger nozzles on the FD5? Also read that a lot of people really dislike the bigger ones.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #707 of 1,891
Here's my video review of them. I plan to write it up as well and post it at some point.

Great review! I was always left wanting for that treble extension and clarity. I tried vocal tips using the wide bore nozzles but the treble was a bit subdued. The narrow nozzle + vocal tips has brought back the shimmer and I am happy with the way it sounds out of the H1.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #709 of 1,891
I am looking to buy a pair of DDs coming from my collections of Andromedas..... How does the FD5 compare to the Dorado 2020 and the IT01?

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #710 of 1,891
No EQ for me. I don’t want to have to compensate for an IEM other than tips and then mainly for fit. I figure that if I am paying for an IEM, I want one that is exactly what I want without fiddling with EQ, source matching, etc. It should just work. I am quite pleased with a number of my IEMs that do not need EQ or other audiophile gymnastics.
Here here! No EQ Club!

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #711 of 1,891
Feb 10, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #712 of 1,891
Exactly my sentiments.

And actually there's the inverse, too. If you use EQ but you use multiple headphones, you have to keep un-EQ'ing or changing it depending on what's plugged in. For some people they may not mind that, maybe they've got a bunch of presets or keep the values written down somewhere or whatever, but the idea of constantly having to fiddle with my EQs sounds vastly unappealing.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #713 of 1,891
Would you recommend to change the cable or is it good? Read something that changing the cable makes a big difference with the FD5.

And are you using the smaller or the bigger nozzles on the FD5? Also read that a lot of people really dislike the bigger ones.

This can only be answered by the owner of the FD5 as each person will have different sources to use on the FD5. Stock cable is a highly resolving cable and will match up well with warm sounding sources. If you have a bright sounding source or more neutral a pure copper cable might be great match with that. I personally like using copper cables on the FD5 but that is just me. Some might like a bit more detailed presentation on the FD5 and that is where the stock cable will be good or even a pure silver cable.

My recommendation is get the FD5 first and see how it meshes with your sources and go from there. As far as the nozzles goes. That will be a preference thing depending on how one likes their sound. Narrow nozzle is more warmer sounding due to more bass and less treble with much less air height and depth of sound. But some might like that big bass sound and when outdoors that extra bass can become a positive.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #714 of 1,891
The nozzle situation is definitely person to person. For me, the narrow nozzles made the bass too powerful, but it's worth mentioning that my main listening is with extreme metal and a high bass output can mask the guitars and vocals. I suspect for other genres (and not JUST stuff like EDM/rap) it would work well.

As for cables, I'mma say the same thing I always say: get one that you think looks pretty, because your eyes are the only thing that will experience a change from different cables.

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #715 of 1,891
The nozzle situation is definitely person to person. For me, the narrow nozzles made the bass too powerful, but it's worth mentioning that my main listening is with extreme metal and a high bass output can mask the guitars and vocals. I suspect for other genres (and not JUST stuff like EDM/rap) it would work well.

As for cables, I'mma say the same thing I always say: get one that you think looks pretty, because your eyes are the only thing that will experience a change from different cables.
Thanks.

I just were a little confused by the review on the last page. He said that the large nozzle was too boomy/bassy und too unrefined treble were the narrower nozzle is more refining the treble and has less bass and overall better sounding.

Then I will first try the bigger nozzle. Also listening more to (extreme) metal.

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #716 of 1,891
Thanks.

I just were a little confused by the review on the last page. He said that the large nozzle was too boomy/bassy und too unrefined treble were the narrower nozzle is more refining the treble and has less bass and overall better sounding.

Then I will first try the bigger nozzle. Also listening more to (extreme) metal.
I could hear a major difference. Better clarity and resolution in the treble. But don't use triple flange tips. Use the vocal tips as they fit the narrow nozzle. Try this and you will notice a difference.

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #717 of 1,891
I could hear a major difference. Better clarity and resolution in the treble. But don't use triple flange tips. Use the vocal tips as they fit the narrow nozzle. Try this and you will notice a difference.

Will be trying this myself. That could be a winning combo.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #718 of 1,891
And actually there's the inverse, too. If you use EQ but you use multiple headphones, you have to keep un-EQ'ing or changing it depending on what's plugged in. For some people they may not mind that, maybe they've got a bunch of presets or keep the values written down somewhere or whatever, but the idea of constantly having to fiddle with my EQs sounds vastly unappealing.
Same. For each iem turn on their respective eq... bothersome.

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #720 of 1,891
Update: With the thin tubes and the vocal tips... I'm not sure. I'll have to do some back and forths. It's definitely clearer than the triple flanges but I'm not sure about the improvement over the wide-bore. Something just isn't hitting right and I can't figure out what, but it's 100% possible the issue is psychological.

EDIT: Got it figured out. There is a definite midbass hump with the narrow tubes and vocal tips, and it's a bit much for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back