FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #736 of 1,891
Yeah, gonna do this on the weekend. I know a few of the stock tips of the FH3 (liked the bass tips, they were very comfy) and I have Final E, Spiral Dot and Xelastec here. Spinfit CP100 and CP145 should arrive next week.

Cable seems quite nice, I have KBear Rhyme and a NiceHCK OCC copper cable here but I don't see the need of changing it. Sometimes I have some problems with the earhooks but not with the stock cable. And it matches perfectly in my eyes, the silver metal and the white cable with the shells of the FD5.

Edit: Listening now with Final E tips and over Qudelix 5K to GoGo Penguin. Wow. Blown away.

Those Final E tips seem to be the most popular. I guess I gotta pick up a set lol.

My experience is the opposite, I find wide bore tips open up the top end; which can give the impression of a reduced low end.

My bad on the phrasing. I meant the wide bore can tone down the bass since the above poster said they didn't need more bass. I have the same experience.

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #738 of 1,891
Listened to some podcasts and youtube videos and it sounds quite sibilant.

Is this getting better after the burn-in? Or des anybody know the exakt khz so I could fix it with the EQ?
You can take a look at my graph:
FD5 Balanced.png

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #740 of 1,891
Thanks. Looks like the peak at 8 kHz

Thanks. Taming the EQ at 8kHz wasn't that effective.

Looking at the graph of crinacle, what kHz would you say is the peak after the 8kHz dip?

Fiio_FD5.jpg
Looks like 10khz. But measurements at that area and over isnt accurate anyway. I suggest you try a high-shelf cut from 10khz with a Q:0.8 and gain -4db.
You could also try to lower the 2500hz area with like -2db and the 5200hz peak with -4db.

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #741 of 1,891
Looks like 10khz. But measurements at that area and over isnt accurate anyway. I suggest you try a high-shelf cut from 10khz with a Q:0.8 and gain -4db.
You could also try to lower the 2500hz area with like -2db and the 5200hz peak with -4db.
Thanks for your help. Best right now is using everything you suggested.

Still some sharp sibilants in there somehow but way better and podcasts don't cause instant headache.

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #742 of 1,891
Thanks for your help. Best right now is using everything you suggested.

Still some sharp sibilants in there somehow but way better and podcasts don't cause instant headache.
You can add some warmth into the overall tonality by boosting the 150hz area with like 2-3db using Q around 2.5.

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #744 of 1,891
This is quite strange, I can tame down everything above 5kHz but there's still some hiss. So I have "no" treble, but still hiss.
Hiss? thats not caused by the FR, thats caused by a high output impedance from your source.

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #746 of 1,891
Then hiss is the wrong word, sorry. I mean definitely sibilants.
I have only experienced that with the Audiosense T800 no matter how much I reduced the treble it was still sibilant, which is why I think it has unrefined treble.

Dont know why you get that with the FD5.

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #748 of 1,891
If you're still getting sibilance with the treble yanked down THAT low, something funky is happening that's not the FD5.
Yep. I have no problems with music, but I'm watching a show on youtube right now and it's like snakes everywhere...
Better with the EQ tamed like above, but then of course the hole treble range is weird.

A/B-comparison with the FH3 with the same videos/podcast: no sibilance at all.

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #749 of 1,891
Yep. I have no problems with music, but I'm watching a show on youtube right now and it's like snakes everywhere...
Better with the EQ tamed like above, but then of course the hole treble range is weird.

A/B-comparison with the FH3 with the same videos/podcast: no sibilance at all.
Maybe the FD5 just reveals sibilance that the FH3 cannot? Youtube isnt exactly a good source for high quality audio lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back