FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #481 of 1,891
FD5s tonality are very dependent on source pairings. They dont sound too bright on my DX160 or my Shanling Daps which both have some warmth to the base tunings. However if you throw them on a highly resolving dap like Fiios own M15. That was where the treble can be accentuated.

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #482 of 1,891
FiiO FD5

I didn't even bother trying the stock (silver) cable. As prescribed by our forum's de facto "Cable Guy" (aka @Dsnuts ), I'm using a pure copper cable. But even with the copper cable, I found the FD5's upper range to be immediately bothersome to my sensitive ears. I had to break out my budget friendly, modding kit and apply the same "fix", that I did, to remedy my Shuoer Tape (not Pro) nozzles.
1610729913330.png

Normally I use a (Tennmak Ultra strong foam) large tip in my left ear and a medium in my right. But I found the outer diameter of the stock nozzle's neck to be a bit on the thicker side; which creates an uncomfortably tight fit for my left ear. I ended up using one of my last remaining (original) Tin HiFi T2 blue tips.

45 hrs. in
Very reminiscent of my modded JVC HA-FD01; which I'm anxious to do a comparison against. But I'll wait until the 100 hr. mark is well in my rearview mirror, before I do an A/B
FiiO vs JVC.jpg

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #484 of 1,891
I think the FD5 is a really great IEM, Fiio has developed a great product for the price.
For my taste, the bass range is strong, a little too indifferent. Midrange to high frequency, fine stage, very light ... certainly also depends on the source / cable.

My big topic with the FD5, however, is the FH7 For me, the FH7 can be a little more precise, finer and more dynamic in every area
And the FH7 sits wonderfully in my ear. In my opinion, the FH7 is in a far lower price range than it costs, especially with the Fiio LC-Re cable.

The FD5 is a wonderful IEM :thumbsup::relieved:unfortunately for me in the shadow of the FH7 ... that's why I will sell it against.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #485 of 1,891
FD5s tonality are very dependent on source pairings. They dont sound too bright on my DX160 or my Shanling Daps which both have some warmth to the base tunings. However if you throw them on a highly resolving dap like Fiios own M15. That was where the treble can be accentuated.
I found this also to be the case. I’m not saying it’s dramatic but using it with the Dragon fly red everything seems to fall in place. However when using it with my Hiby R6 it’s not as resolving It’s kinda of weird.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #486 of 1,891
This is imo the main reason why there will be a discrepency when it comes to impressions with the FD5.

I wrote a while back on this thread that it will take some time to figure them out. The right source pairing is just one aspect. Unfortunately the relationship with the FD5 means your gonna have to try this and that. If you so happen to use a source that will mesh with the FD5 sonic character from the get go than your golden but for a lot of us there will be a rolercoaster of emotions.

Admittedly I havent had that kinda ups and downs on how I feel about something since I was a single guy. Lol.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #488 of 1,891
Does HD800 have more detail/resolution than FD5?

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #489 of 1,891
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #491 of 1,891
FiiO FD5

I didn't even bother trying the stock (silver) cable. As prescribed by our forum's de facto "Cable Guy" (aka @Dsnuts ), I'm using a pure copper cable. But even with the copper cable, I found the FD5's upper range to be immediately bothersome to my sensitive ears. I had to break out my budget friendly, modding kit and apply the same "fix", that I did, to remedy my Shuoer Tape (not Pro) nozzles.
1610729913330.png

Normally I use a (Tennmak Ultra strong foam) large tip in my left ear and a medium in my right. But I found the outer diameter of the stock nozzle's neck to be a bit on the thicker side; which creates an uncomfortably tight fit for my left ear. I ended up using one of my last remaining (original) Tin HiFi T2 blue tips.

45 hrs. in
Very reminiscent of my modded JVC HA-FD01; which I'm anxious to do a comparison against. But I'll wait until the 100 hr. mark is well in my rearview mirror, before I do an A/B
FiiO vs JVC.jpg
Wow , FD01 still looks more beautiful 😊

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #493 of 1,891
How about FD5 vs S8F?

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #494 of 1,891
I received the RHA filters... I'll try to give them a go this weekend, as well as I try the pairings with my new Shanling M8 and DX300 :)

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #495 of 1,891
Does HD800 have more detail/resolution than FD5?
I have not used my HD800 for over a year. I have received the FD5 only a few days ago. But I can say that the FD5 has more detail in the lower registers.
There are quite some similarities between these phones: spacious, detail and fast. However imho the FD5 is more flexible; every music genre works well with the FD5, from pop to electronic music to vocals to string quartets.
Thanks everybody who has written about the excellent IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back