FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #466 of 1,891
Yeah I have found that the connectors can be sometimes a bit weak looking, I usually remove the heatshrink earhook off the cables ( always nice to have the option of round ear or drop) and add some loctite 3080 gap filler just inside the plug and slightly onto the cable, sets clear and like concrete and you'd have more chance of snapping the cable. Works well on any connection inside as it prevents shorts if there's not enough room for heatshrink between terminations and also adds a bit extra to your solder joint, if your a DIY person.
Can you post a few photos for this description? Thanks

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #467 of 1,891
Anyone had problems with shipping? I bought them a week ago and DHL tracking still says "packed for picking up". They said they shipped but DHL usually updates fast.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #468 of 1,891
Those cables are excellent for either all BA iems or dynamics that have a bit too much upper detail. Good choice. Excellent value
I wonder if Effect Audio Ares II will be similar to your cables

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #470 of 1,891
Jan 13, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #472 of 1,891
Can you post a few photos for this description? Thanks
Virtually invisible, bonds to teflon, rubber plastic, metal etc rock solid heat and moisture proof too, good for sealing in jack plugs and comes in handy if your Mmcx or 2 pin socket is a bit loose, you get needle point nozzles with it so you can apply it in really small areas. It's 3090 not 80 as I earlier said.

20210113_175337~2.jpg20210113_175614~3.jpg20210113_175706~3.jpg20210113_180022~3.jpg20210113_180428~3.jpg20210113_181431.jpg20210113_175434.jpg20210113_180542~2.jpg

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #473 of 1,891
Got my FD5's today! :ksc75smile:

First impressions are that IMHO this is FiiO's most well-balanced sounding IEM to date.

Maybe it could have used a tiny bit more in the vocal and presence regions, but that's about it. But if it was boosted any more there, it might have started to push the driver out of it's comfort zone and maybe would have caused it to start sounding harsh in the vocals and treble when playing at higher volume levels.

But the bottom line is that I am super happy with the way these sound (w/ Final Type E tips) and they have really hit the sweet spot for me. One really nice thing is that I haven't found myself always wishing they had a little bit more of this, or a little bit less of that (like I do with most other IEMs) when I'm listening to my favorite music. I'm able to simply enjoy them exactly the way they are, and enjoy the music as it plays through them.

Are they perfect? No. But I think they are a fantastic sounding (and looking) IEM for the money. I really dig 'em. :grin:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #474 of 1,891
1610459913779.png

A bit of a discovery. I was rummaging through my tips collection and I had an unopened set of these. These can be bought on Amazon and these have a wax guard on the openings. These are good old complys. I know complys are polarizing. Either you love them or you hate them. I have used these tips on another lively earphone Dunu DN2000J. The wax guard is a fine acoustic foam but what it does it takes a bit of the edge off the top. Worth looking into if you guys are finding the top end a bit edgy. Smoother sound as a result. TX400 I believe these are. These with a combination of my cable and the sound becomes exactly what I was looking for.
Ugh! First set of tips i ever bought when I first got into the iem game. Never liked them. Too dull in the mids and treble (even after I cut out the wax guards). As for the memory foam; I found it scratchy and uncomfortable to the inside of my ears. My life changed when I switched to Newbee foam tips. Glad you enjoy the Complys bro. For me though...I'll stick to my Newbees.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #475 of 1,891
Honestly amazing how insanely detailed and just insane an IEM with ONE DD driver can sound o_o Why do we need 17 again..? I'm just listening with the factory tips, and this is serious detail. The spacious soundstage is great; feels like the music is constantly moving. I'm not sure what headphone to compare this sound to... I think a headphone with detail at this level would have thicker bass. I need to try that smaller tube lol. Fit is good so far. They are a bit weighty for sure. Sound is pretty balanced/level. I bet this thing goes through the roof with some bass EQ. It's incredibly engaging, just for the detail and imaging clarity alone. I probably wouldn't describe it as "musical". It's a little treble prominent, in this default listening configuration. Not killing my ears or anything. Weird Al sounds fine. I love how open they sound; such a refreshing, lively sound. I wonder if Tin T4 sounds similar to this... :thinking: I definitely am not interested in IEMs with less bass than this. High resolution, highly revealing :) Actual resolution, not treble EQ boost lol. Welcome to the most expensive IEM I've heard so far! (And I thought the Tape Pro was supposed to be a detail monster, hahahaha )

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #476 of 1,891
I've only been able to brand you for 30 hours but am also impressed.
It is interesting, in direct comparison with the FH7 ... would still prefer the FH7 for me. But this is 5 drivers for a similar result to one ... very interesting. At the moment, the FH7 are a little more balanced for me.

Let's see how the FD5 sounds with 50 hours :wink: :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #477 of 1,891
More bass on FH7..? :0 The FD5 default config bass sounds like larger speaker bass to me, that can produce lower sounds, but for some reason smaller woofers always seem to have more punch & kick in my experience :\

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #478 of 1,891
More bass on FH7..? :0 The FD5 default config bass sounds like larger speaker bass to me, that can produce lower sounds, but for some reason smaller woofers always seem to have more punch & kick in my experience :\
Smaller woofers are lighter and can therefore move faster and stop on a dime. So naturally it can whip you up and produce tighter, snappier transients.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #479 of 1,891
So I just got my FD5 today, 3 days after shipping, damn those guys are fast!

Coincidentally, I've just been listening to some High-End Gauder Akustik Loudspeakers yesterday and I got to say, the FD5 bass is more accurate than their 4k$ entry model and like 95% on par with their Vescova MKII model for 14k$. Impressive!
Compared to the NM2+, the bass is less dry but more pointy, there is a lot more microdetail and mids are not as recessed. So far they are a big upgrade, I'm just not sure how far the bass really extends down. Soundstage is superb also.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #480 of 1,891
I got my FD5 3 days ago. Contrary to the popular opinion I think these are not bright at all, they could use a bit more treble. Also, detail retrieval is not the best I heard, FH7 sounds more balanced, cleaner and more detailed for me. The bass is super good on these though, also the spaciousness and 3D effect. I can imagine these will be my go to IEMs for movie watching/gaming. Generally I don't hear much difference with burn-in, but these definitely need it, out of the box I heard some metallic sheen on top registers, it disappeared after about 15-20 hours, now I'm at 35 hours mark, see if more burn-in can help with treble/detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back