FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 13, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #2,521 of 2,790
My silver FH9 is up for sale. I really wanted black but they sent silver instead. It’s a very very capable set but it doesn’t always make my weekly top7. Includes one of the nicest stock cable I’ve seen in a while as well.
Interesting,

What do you think you are missing with ? 😉

May 13, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #2,522 of 2,790
Interesting,

What do you think you are missing with ? 😉
A little bit of it is eargonomics, a smooth shape for the religious ear insertion. It fits my ears perfectly fine , in fact they fit me better than my SA6 Ultra. It keeps cold with the first insertion which is good for my local climate. And a little bit is the tuning nozzles. I’m also lazy and not a fan too many switching up different combos red, white or black nozzles and like to keep one combo of cable and tips to stick with throughout. I love that stock cable but it also matches great with my CA Vega which is why I bought a spare.

May 16, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #2,524 of 2,790
I'm kinda confused about which one to go with FH15 or JD7. The idea is to use it for casual listening with either a BTR7 or UTWS-5 and may be occasionally with my DAP (NW-ZX707). (TBH it is more like passive listening while working, cuz it helps me stay focused)

I've had quite a few FiiO IEMs in the past, but haven't tried the OG FH5 or the FH3 for that matter. I currently have an FH9, but I can't use it at office cuz of the semi open back thingy. I liked the FH5s Pro, but I felt it was way too V shaped for my taste. FD3 with the black filters was actually very good IMO and the same goes for FD5 with the smaller filters.

Would appreciate any help / guidance to help me decide which one to pick up. TIA.

May 16, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #2,525 of 2,790
I'm kinda confused about which one to go with FH15 or JD7. The idea is to use it for casual listening with either a BTR7 or UTWS-5 and may be occasionally with my DAP (NW-ZX707). (TBH it is more like passive listening while working, cuz it helps me stay focused)

I've had quite a few FiiO IEMs in the past, but haven't tried the OG FH5 or the FH3 for that matter. I currently have an FH9, but I can't use it at office cuz of the semi open back thingy. I liked the FH5s Pro, but I felt it was way too V shaped for my taste. FD3 with the black filters was actually very good IMO and the same goes for FD5 with the smaller filters.

Would appreciate any help / guidance to help me decide which one to pick up. TIA.
I have reviewed both so let me chime in/

From your description, it seems you like a darker sound. FH15 would be a safer bet.

JD7 is excellent, but it’s Harman-tuned, thus brighter vocal. It’s also semi open like your FH9.

May 16, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #2,526 of 2,790
I have reviewed both so let me chime in/

From your description, it seems you like a darker sound. FH15 would be a safer bet.

JD7 is excellent, but it’s Harman-tuned, thus brighter vocal. It’s also semi open like your FH9.
Yep, ur right.. I prefer darker sounding IEMs.. Btw, is there any other IEM you'd recommend in the FH15 price range? (under 250 USD)

May 16, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #2,527 of 2,790
Yep, ur right.. I prefer darker sounding IEMs.. Btw, is there any other IEM you'd recommend in the FH15 price range? (under 250 USD)
It’s rare to have darkish sound in that price range. I have some other options, but they offer different type of sound signature. A safe option could be Orchestra Lite by KiwiEars, but it would not have that thumpy bass of FH15, and that IEM is plastic rather than metal.

If you have some insanely strong portable DAP or amp, you might consider Final E5000. Very old and underestimated. I wouldn’t touch them unless I have a portable amplifier (think of FiiO Q7).

May 18, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,528 of 2,790
If someone doesn't have the money to buy the FH9 but want something similar I can highly recommend the FiiO JD7. JD7 has a bit more bass, and a bit less clarity / technicality, but all in all the tonality is very similar. I would pick the JD7 over the IE600 any time which is almost 10 times more expensive. with JD7 you will get 85% of FH9.

May 20, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #2,529 of 2,790
It’s rare to have darkish sound in that price range. I have some other options, but they offer different type of sound signature. A safe option could be Orchestra Lite by KiwiEars, but it would not have that thumpy bass of FH15, and that IEM is plastic rather than metal.

If you have some insanely strong portable DAP or amp, you might consider Final E5000. Very old and underestimated. I wouldn’t touch them unless I have a portable amplifier (think of FiiO Q7).
Went ahead with the FH15. 😊

May 20, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #2,530 of 2,790
May 24, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #2,531 of 2,790
kz (16 of 26).jpg

My true love

kz (15 of 26).jpg

May 25, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #2,532 of 2,790
May 25, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #2,533 of 2,790
May 25, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #2,534 of 2,790
May 28, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #2,535 of 2,790
i imported @DaveStarWalker 's canal works tips, tried them, but i did not find them superior to the stock spinfit's that came with the unit. i also bought the w1 spinfit, and they do tighten things up, although to my ears to the detriment of soundstage. i found that the stock spinfits (i think the model is cp145) make a more confortable fit to my ears too, than the w1 do. so the art of tip rolling is a personal journey for shure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back